OK, so I'm not a "jazz lover"

The tracks Idaho and Perdido (both duos with Griffin) are included on the ‘Live in Geneva 1962’ shown in the YT video above as bonus tracks but were from an earlier live session in 1960 in Paris, released by Xanadu in 1975

European Echoes on:

2 Likes

One track I would recommend as one that will give your system a total work out is from the Miles Davis album ‘Live Around The World’ a collection of live tracks from a world tour in the 1990s. The background helps - imho - as it sets up the song in a context. Here is Miles not Lon before his death looking a little sad in his shiny costume - old trying to be young… The song ‘Time after Time’ is played with such pathos and understatement of Miles the greatest jazz trumpeter period. Sound wise the track is tricky to play back as it has a huge dynamic range and the volume needs cranking up. There is a tremendous sound stage here with great depth and a lot of fine background details from the drum kit and you can hear the audience talking and make out words on a good system. Dynamics will make you jump… and shivers will run if you dial in to the music. Enjoy.

3 Likes

Richard,
Wow…just wow. What a piece, beautifully played and recorded. Thank you for the suggestion. Any more like that?
Scott.

I’m glad you like it Scott. It is a wonderful piece of music.

In a similar kind of vein was Shades of Blue from the Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet.

The whole album is fabulous - maybe even my favourite jazz album of all.

2 Likes

Thanks Richard…I’ll add that to the listening list!

There’s also a track called Ascension with some wicked flute solo.

There is also this to consider. He’s sadly no longer with us but the music lives on.

1 Like

Just listened to Time after Time - stunning just stunning.

Now listening to the rest.

Ben Webster, read what the Penguin Jazz book says about him, here he is with Oscar Peterson

Some Mingus from Mingus Ah Um.

The Duke with Johnny

.sjb

3 Likes

Thanks @suzywong what a great thread! Very helpful for me and I suspect more than a few others.

lol, this was featured as a lip sync by Allison Janet as an ultimate cool moment in an episode of West Wing (S1E18, Google says)… nice to connect with this, great easy-rap, great voice, and a hip Benson vibe on this album - thanks!

Regards alan

2 Likes

Just one track? Coltrane playing “My favourite things” from his live at Newport disc. Taking a tune that we all know from Julie Andrews and transforming it into 20 minutes of ferocious brilliance.

2 Likes

Flamenco Sketches

4 Likes

And on Sonos Napster

1 Like

Hey if you are a Prog Rock fan, you should be into Yes? Steve Howe? He’s one of my favorite guitarists. One of his big influences is Tal Farlow. Listen to him and you hear some “Perpetual Change” or such.

1 Like

In the 10 list of albums I choose, each album is a different style of jazz. Am I clearer my friend?

Sorry, it have passed, indeed. Language and culture…different understanding.

1 Like

Been my favouritest band since 1970!

3 Likes

I don’t know if it’s prog rock, or rock jazz or jazz rock, but I discovered a very good uk artist from the 70’s, Brian Auger ‘s Oblivion express.
It’s between Led Zeppelin and Santana, with a groovy Hammond organ and propulsive instrumental rock with guitar solos. Great discover. Bought since 4 lps at Discogs.

Yes, mine too. Steve Howe had been with the band for 6 weeks when they recorded “The Yes Album” with the song “Perpetual change.” So impressive. That was ‘71.