Old Age

Oh so sorry to hear you are in hospital, keep us posted🙏

4 Likes

He’s probably not acquainted with Naimspeak and may have thought that you were speaking in some language that he didn’t understand!

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll try and track that Boult version down.

David Owen Norris gave a great overview/review of all the then available recordings on Radio 3’s CD Review in 2014 - you can listen to it by searching for ‘BBC CD review Holst Planets’ or similar. Norris also gives a fascinating analysis of the suite’s key structure as well.

He liked many of the ‘classics’ (Dutoit and Boult in particular), doesn’t like the Berlin Phil recordings (too many wrong notes) and settled on Paavo Jarvi’s 2009 recording with the Cincinnati SO on Telarc (which Gramophone damned with the faintest of praise: you clearly can’t please all the reviewers all the time!).

Mark

1 Like

Strikes me that we should ask Richard to split this thread into “Old Age” and “The Planets”, as the latter seems to have taken on a life of its own :smile:

3 Likes

I agree. I started the thread, then diverted it myself by referring to the Bringer of Old Age.

All very good info. I’ve experienced the same positive changes.

1 Like

I must have pressed a few wrong buttons on my Mac the other day because I find onscreen messages and photos from girls (allegedly), who have East European names, and who claim to be more than anxious to get jiggy with me.

Although rather flattering to a chap of my age, they will probably become tiresome in about six months, once the novelty of their propositions wears off! Still, I do have a little chuckle to myself as I delete them, reflecting on what they propose to do to me. I wonder if the care staff in the home here would think it good for my recovery.

4 Likes

You don’t have to press the “wrong” button to get those messages. I’m pretty sure all those girls have beards.

2 Likes

Now you’re making them sound sexier than ever! Anyway, back to Gustav Holst…Or was it old age? (I’m confusing myself with all these distractions.)

2 Likes

He definitely had a beard😂

**Correction, clean shaven his whole life🤷🏻‍♂️

Oh you poor man.

COVID seems to be bouncing back

Hope you recover quickly, take care. :+1:

You are not Bob Servant by any chance?

Brilliant radio series penned by Neil Forsyth and read by Brian Cox.

G

1 Like

No, I hadn’t heard of that. Brian Cox is a great radio actor, is he not? I used to love his Radio 4 series MacLevy which ran for a few years, in which he played a Victorian cop in Edinburgh, with Siobhan Redmond as a ‘bawdy house keeper’ (ie brothel madam).

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that Lindsay, that does not sound like a great combination of ailments - hoping you have a swift recovery and are soon back home.

2 Likes

Very worth a listen Graham.

G

Thank you guys, the Covid seems a lot better today.

3 Likes

We need you fit and well for Audio show east in April…it’s your round again😁

2 Likes

Oh that’s bad news Lindsay. I hope they sort your spinal issue quickly and that your dose of COVID is as mild as it gets.

2 Likes