Old Age

I do hope that you’re not suggesting that the poor chap is malingering, with a view to avoiding having to put his hand in his pocket for a round of drinks in April!!!

2 Likes

Well as a management consultant my motto was always think ahead!

3 Likes

Hope you’re back home soon. Best wishes.

1 Like

Perhaps better phrased as the experience for some people. Certainly hasn’t been the experience for the majority for a long time now.

1 Like

When you are really old,not just pretend old, you have little appetite and remember fun as a rosy glow somewhere in the hazy past.

I agree, many of my elderly,female,widow neighbours who had no chance to build a private pension are becoming quite worried about the coming months.

1 Like

Very sorry to hear. Hope all goes well.

2 Likes

At my age, 71, like many people I have to take quite a few prescription tablets. The GP rang me to say that with my enlarged prostate she wanted me to take a new tablet. I said I didn’t mind swopping the old tablet for the new one but she replied no no you have to take both of them! I put down the phone and expressed a few expletives and said to my wife I had to take another bloody tablet. I looked up the new tablet and thought I had got the wrong name as all the Google links were for hair restoration for balding men! I checked further and hair re growth is a side effect of this drug so I had a little chuckle and yes my bald patch has disappeared!!!

4 Likes

If you’re saying that there’s a prescription drug that regenerates hair growth, that is sensational news! People will pay a lot of money for such a pill.

1 Like

2 Likes

Hi Graham my drug is Finasteride. My tablet is 5mg whereas the baldness treatment is 1mg. The other treatment is minoxidil which is known commercially as Rogaine. Rogaine is rubbed on. The treatments don’t seem expensive but I believe with Rogaine that if you stop using it the regrowth is lost.

The wonders of modern science. Both my grandfathers died with a full head of hair (albeit grey) in old age, so I hope that I have genes on my side.

1 Like

Something like this ?

Recommended recording too …

1 Like

Good thing I don’t live in your town. :grin:

1 Like

Maybe she just thought you’d look better with a little more hair? …

Well maybe it worked as when I went into the surgery for a flu booster the GP said after asking me to confirm my age that she was just about to give me the under 65 booster!

3 Likes

I took early retirement in my late 50s, about four years ago.

Had worked all my life, but in the end, working 60 hours every week and driving 40k miles a year to clients was just getting too much. I had stopped the overseas travel a few years back, as that was just getting horrendous.

Fortunately the mortgage had been paid off and the figures worked out, so went for it and haven’t looked back since.

Mrs DG is still working, but then she is a lot younger than me. However, this does give some “me time”, for me to enjoy some of my other hobbies.

Now enjoying ourselves, doing what we want, done the house up. Busy social life, plenty of holidays and listening to music.

DG…

4 Likes

Did exactly the same thing at 55 DG.
Having had numerous Cardiac related issues including 2 major Heart Surgeries. My doctors told me that I probably wouldn’t survive the 2nd one, they gave me a 1 in 10 chance but I wouldn’t survive the year without.
Well I’m still here and the company treated me like SH1T throughout and after so I decided enough was enough.
I’d worked overseas early in my professional life in some pretty dangerous places, so I’d got quite a nice little nest egg to cash out with at 55 and been enjoying life ever since.
The house isn’t quite finished yet, but will be next year.
Same with the HiFi🤔, or maybe not:rofl:
LIFE IS FOR LIVING… you never know how much you’ve got left…:+1:t3:

12 Likes

11 Likes

Ran this up on the Isobariks this morning:

It certainly blew out a few cobwebs! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Karajan’s early ‘Planets’ is a great recording. I’m not sure that anyone has improved on the sounds caught by the Decca engineers on the early analogue stereo Decca Vienna recordings from the late 1950s/early 1960s.

The Decca/Solti ‘Ring’ has never been equalled, in my opinion, and it is just about to be reissued by Decca on LPs yet again. I have my order in already for ‘Das Rheingold’, so I’ll decide whether to go for the rest of the cycle when I’ve listened to it, and compared it to the Telefunken-pressed DMM LPs that I’ve had for over 30 years.

2 Likes