Old preamps

I presumed this is what would have happened after Supercap 2 came out with pre-built sleds for Olive units still on the shelf.
Mine is what was Bob the Builder owned and posted on the forum and his estimate of the date of conversion was 2008 when it was actually about 2004/5.

Would Naim have built a new sled in 2004?

AFAIK, once Naim stopped building Olive kit that was the end of the 52PS to Supercap upgrade. Of course, it’s worth remembering that Naim built Olive kit to order for at least couple of years into the Classic/Reference era, so a new Olive Supercap sled built in 2004 would have been quite possible. @mark.raggett would probably know more here.

The serial numbers place both the 52 and the Supercap at 1990 production.

The product history page says the 52PS was replaced by the Supercap in 1995.

So with the serial number the Supercap has, surely it must have been a 52PS when produced?

Yes, it would have started out as a 52PS. Then at some point it would have gone to the factory to be upgraded to a Supercap. Once booked in for the upgrade a new Supercap would be built. The process then involved sliding out the old 52PS tray and innards and sliding in a new Supercap tray and innards. Only the cover of the 52PS would remain as the new cover for the Supercap. Oh, and also the serial number would move over to the Supercap too.

I have an olive xps that was build in 2003. The serial number dates into the classic era. Emailed naim about It. Got them a bit confused to start with, at the end of it I felt just a little bit more special :kissing:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.