Olive 250 and Magneplanars

Does anyone know if an olive 250 is up to satisfying the high current needs of the Magneplanars?

No idea what an Olive 250 is, but you might want to specify which Maggies you are thinking of.

Olive 250- most famous of all Naim amps

I use my Olive 250 with Quad ESL63s…
So Maggies should be OK too…

Adam, your system needed some modifications, if I remember correctly. I wonder if it would be the same for the Maggies ?

Yeap[quote=“Wugged_Woy, post:5, topic:3687, full:true”]
Adam, your system needed some modifications, if I remember correctly. I wonder if it would be the same for the Maggies ?
[/quote]

Indeed - my Olive NAP 250 has a factory-built in Quad-mod. Essentially it enables it to cope with the wild impedance swings that Quads tend to present to the power amps.
Not sure about the Maggies - if they swing from 2-30 something Ohm - I’d recommend putting a Quad-style mod.

Thanks! Maggies are rated at 4 ohms so I don’t believe they present large impedance swings but they apparently perform best with high current amps. I’d like to verify that the (Olive) 250 is designed that way.

I have used MG12s with NAP200 without problems. Maggies do not have the issues some electrostatics have with big impedance dips. They are not the most efficient of speakers, but unless you like Deep Purplesque concert levels at home then they should be fine.

Good luck positioning them. They sound great when you get it right. Not sure what model you’re going for, but I’d avoid .7s. I was going to part-ex MG12s for some, but a demo soon showed me that was not a great idea. 20.7s are my favourite, but I couldn’t get them in my cottage.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.