Olive fascia change

Hi can anyone tell me what year the darker shade of olive came in?As they is also a lighter version which I think came first asking as im looking for a Nait2 with darker front , Thank you

I think it was 1989 with the Nait2 but I’m sure someone else will confirm.

Wiki is your friend here.

I was told that the fascia colour changed over time - the reason being that the person who mixed the colour at the suppliers died and the formula was lost. Instead of re-formulating though they decided to just take a sample from the end of each batch and then match up as close as they could, so it gradually went from olive green to more like an olive/grey. It’s a lovely story, whether true, partially true, or not true at all…

Of course, Naim offered a fascia match-up service so many units have had their fascias changed over the years.

1 Like

1989 was when CB became Olive.

@Richard.Dane, I love that story and don’t care if it’s true or not, as I have repeated it elsewhere. It always brings about a nostalgic smile in people.

As for when the change happened, judging by what I have seen on that auction site, it was roughly ‘95/‘96, going from a fairly uniform Olive Brown to Olive Grey in its many shades.

1 Like

It seems unlikely that there will be any Nait 2s with the later ‘greener Olive’ fascia, as the Nait 2 was discontinued in 1993, when Olive was still the ‘browner Olive’?

I would guess that fascia match-up changes might have been more common with the units with ‘simpler’ fascias (power amps, for example)?

Nice story Richard, out of the two I prefer the Olive/Grey and when the sun beams across the fascia looks lovely.

2 Likes

As I may have noted over some time (aka bored the pants off you good people!) I have a number of olive boxes ranging from a 1993 vintage NAT03 up to a 2002 vintage XPS.

They are all of the “grey” Olive hue except for a 1994 vintage NAXO2-4 and a 1996 vintage SNAXO2-4, both of which are distinctly “brown” olive. OTOH my 1994 vintage Flatcap is “grey” olive.

So folks, make of that what you will :slight_smile:

So the burning question of the hour must be: Does the colour of the case have any impact on the SQ? Discuss!

just kidding, really! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

@Richard.Dane just out of interest, is that fascia match-up service still available?

SW, I don’t think so, as the Olive kit hasn’t been made for getting on for 20 years now. But you could always ask Naim if they have any Olive fascias left…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.