One box streamer for 252 & 300

If you are mostly into vinyl and would like to keep it Naim, the ND5XS2 gives you the new platform. I’ve had it previously and in terms of usability it’s simple and wonderful. Its DAC is not as refined but I think perfectly suited for exploring music and radio even in a system like yours, and assuming you are already generally happy with the ND5XS and don’t want to challenge your vinyl rig? :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Best bang for buck is the Node imo. Best app and remote capability for presets. Good sound quality.

2 Likes

And if the limit is one shelf, a Node is small enough to be used with a separate DAC, if necessary. In one of my systems, I use a Node as a transport into a Rega DAC. It might not be as good as the nDAC and 555PS that I use elsewhere, but it is still a great solution.

1 Like

I have also been reading good things about Weiss Dacs FR, although I think it was the Weiss Dac502 that I was checking out. So many options, but almost no way to hear them all, if I can even hear any of them.

1 Like

Well I have the Bluesound Node2i (I assume that’s what you are referring to) and to my ears it’s inferior to the Sonore Rendu as a source. It should of course as the Sonore with it’s LPS is about 1,500 euro vs 400euro for the the node2i

With a separate DAC?

In my case, I use a Node 2 (without the “i” suffix). I have seen an offer for an improved power supply for the Node 2, but I do not feel the need to try it. If price alone is an indication of better/worse, then it does not surprise me that the nDAC/555PS or Sonore Rendu sounds better than the inexpensive Node combined with a Rega DAC.

Have you tried the Node with a separate DAC in comparson?

Ah yes, I should have been more explicit. Not easy to do when the whole family is on a flu at the same time.

Yes, I’m running both the node and sonore rendu into a 1st gen Chord Hugo. The difference was so substantial I only use the node for some occasional soundcloud listening. But most of the time I prefer to donwload the soundcloud mix separately and then feed it to my Nas for replay using Roon.

FR,i just got around to reading his review and he definitely is impressed with the Weiss Dac. Thinking back to the other day talking about the Lumin with my dealer.
He said another customer of his now uses the Weiss Dac with the Zen stream and called it his end game source.
This guy has used Chord Dave with Mscaler,Simaudio,Innous,and a couple of others i don’t remeber.
I think the Weiss might of been moved to the top of my list.A few things of note from the review…he prefers it over the ones you listed,plus over the Bartok.
He mentions in a $30-70k system,this is the perfect fit.
He mentions the Weiss is the closest he has heard to studio master reel to reel.
The build quality is impeccable,plus swiss made like my Nagra integrated.:slight_smile:

1 Like

In another site, french audiophile magazine, the reviewer said the Weiss 501 is on par with the Mola Mola. But he preferred a bit the Mola Mola.
I know it’s a difficult choice, but you really should try to listen at a dealer place.
The good thing is that the Weiss matches well your Nagra , by the look.
I hope you will find the best for you.

1 Like

If you like the Naim presentation and uniform look it is impossible to overlook the NDX2.

As others have said moving to NDX2 ( with a ps of your choice) with a 252 and 250 makes the most sense to me unless you are prepared for that extra shelf. A bear NDX2 would be ok with what you have but the 250 solution is a better five shelf system.

1 Like

Very sensible solution Stuart - agree entirely

I have a different front end ie : Linn LP12 Klimax and radikal machined with 252/supercapDR/250DR ie: 5 shelves

If only want 5 shelves it’s the way to go , the 250DR is a very fine amp and punches above its weight

2 Likes

I suggested this in post 7 and claim my prize.

Ha ha - first prize for you HH as per usual :+1:

With these bigger systems it’s always best to have two lower stacks of shelves; it sounds better, is far less monolithic looks wise and it’s far easier to arrange the cables, which can get very challenging with multiple burndies when using a single stack. Sometimes a simpler system optimally set up can sound better than a more highfalutin one set up with more compromises.

1 Like

True - if one has the space

I referenced you as “as others have said” Nigel. Not taking any credit, just in agreement.

I know, and there’s the rub. I’d like to think that anyone with the means to own a big Naim system has a sufficiently large space to accommodate it optimally, but realise that’s not always the case. It’s what brings us back to the argument for a top flight integrated amplifier - the fact that a 252/300 comes as four boxes is in this case constraining the all important source and potentially leading to an inferior outcome.

I’ve gotta stop agreeing with you HH​:crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::+1:

1 Like

I know, I was simply joking with Bevo. At least we all agree. The trouble is that the 300 is so good it would be a shame to sell it. I wonder if an extra shelf might actually be possible, or ideally two stacks. It would get the best from a lovely system.

1 Like