One for the techies

Really… that’s like saying all amplifiers sound the same… I am not sure Texas Instruments, Analog Devices, Cirrus Logic, Chord Electronics etc would necessarily agree with you, along with I suspect a significant proportion of the AES membership… (not audiophiles, but audio scientists and engineers in industry and research organisations).

To my ears DAC designs and converters do have differing performance characteristics, and it is the designer or manufacturer that has decided to focus on key characteristics … even the humble DACs in smartphones differ to my ears.

I think areas like crest factor, transient performance, linearity, intermodulation distortion, audio pass band, EMI and modulation are examples of areas that cause different audible characteristics.

This isn’t my first rodeo, cowboy!

1 Like

indeed, based on the rave reviews and the massive improvements each item of new equipment/cable/boingy isolation device/Ethernet switch reportedly give, audio quality passed 10/10 and neared infinity some time ago.

3 Likes

Well I got a lot out of this discussion. I’m none the wiser but I am better informed.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.