One step forward: ER +lpsu

Santa very kindly delivered my SR4T yesterday. AFAICT there are no instructions or user manual (?) included, so I’m left wondering
A) which Voltage are each of the 4 settings ?
B) whether a consensus has built on which Voltage most SR4 users are finding optimal for the EtherRegen ?
Thanks!
Kevin

Hi KJC,
Congratulations!
There is a transparent sticker on the bottom of the SR4T which describes the 4 selector switch settings.
However, it’s black print on a black case (for us, anyway), so damn near impossible to read.

The 4 settings are:
0 = 12V, which is what you want for the ER
1 = 9V
2 = 7V
3 = 5V

Hope this helps, BF

Many thanks BF. It came out of the box pre-set to ‘0’, so is on 12V and all good. Now to let it burn in and see what we get. Are you all happy with it on the eR now?
Kevin

Extremely happy with both SR4T in our system.
It needs at least 5 minutes to burn in, if you can wait that long, then it sounds superb.

3 Likes

Does even the silver DC cable only need five minutes? Astonishing.

I was being slightly tongue in cheek Nemo. However, after literally only 5 minutes of run time, the SR4T with the silver dc cable outperformed the same SR4T with a copper cable that had been running for 100+ hours. It may gradually improve further with time, though how much is very hard to judge.

Best regards, BF

2 Likes

The eR power supply is rated 7.5 volt / 4.8 amp.

Yes , but 12v is recommended by Uptone.

Indeed.

72 hours in on the SR4T and currently still preferring the standard SMPS supply in my set up… Hoping it will respond to burn in, but right now I’m getting better dynamic range, colour, emotion and involvement from the stock supply. Ears remain open however and I’m not about to give up on it just yet…

Which dc cable you use? Perhaps you have a same faulty cable as Foottaper ( :laughing:).

The silver cable. I think it’s fine. The sound is good, it’s just so involving right now on the standard supply in a manner that seems to need no enhancement of any kind. I never expected a switch to have such a huge effect, but it’s reminding me yet again of the importance of having a lower noise floor. As I’m currently experiencing it, all the HiFi parameters we try to describe our sound with relate to the noise floor. All of ‘soundstage’, ‘dynamic range’, ‘focus’, ‘texture’, ‘spatiality’, ‘depth’ etc… relate to noise and the lack of it. If you can get noise out of the equation then these sound characteristics make themselves manifest. Im finding the eR is very good at doing this. It’s a wonderful thing!

2 Likes

I am not surprised that the silver cable outperforms the copper, as I suggested earlier. However, I am surprised that the silver cable was able to show its capabilities after so short a time. I am sure you still have improvements to look forward to.

1 Like

Yes, well put.

I quite full agree with you. However would add that a better clock inside the ER is also responsible for a better prat and involvement.

Interesting, and different to what others have experienced when adding the SR4T to the eR.

Looking only at this thread, it does seem that those using a ND555 seem to have had more success with the SR4T (on the eR) than those using a different Streamer/DAC. But probably too small a sample (and too early) to conclude anything, and BF bucks this trend.

Please keep us informed if the SR4T improves with time.

I am sorry Nigel. I am with you. I just had not understood that you were addressing KJC’s latest post.
While I have all the intention not to succumb to another compulsive purchase and acquire an LPS for my new eR, I am following this thread very very closely…

It is only a theory, and it would be good to hear from any others that have used the SR4T to power their eR.

It is possible that the added transparency offered by the ND555 opens the window wider to what the SR4T can bring.

1 Like

I picked up a Plixir Elite BDC 12v/2A psu by click and collect from Signals today, it is brand new and not run in. I played a track that i have been playing recently, without the Plixir…then put the Plixir in cold. Immediately i noticed the tone of the notes, the decay had improved…guitar, cymbals and piano. Vocals became better defined within the soundstage and were just more enjoyable to listen to. I guess it is the noise floor being lowered. After a few hours i have come back…and it’s even better, smoother and fuller. So far i think i will be keeping this. It is larger than the Uptone psu but still only about 9 by 5 inches.
Andy has ordered a Silver dc cable from Plixir to try shortly.
@NigelB you were asking recently about this upgrade.

3 Likes

You ruined Nigel’s day :laughing:

1 Like