One step forward: ER +lpsu

The ER grew on me a lot and only after removing it for a bit after a few months did I realize how much was missing! It may not ‘add’ anything but it certainly stops a lot of things being removed and non-musical crud overlaid.

At first on week 1 or week 2 of use I’d have just said a bit better - worth having and overall nice upgrade. But after having it settle-in for many months something had got a lot better and I’d now describe it as an important part of my system.

Yes - that is how I hear it too. Also far more dynamic range perception - possibly helped by lower noise-floor.

DB.

2 Likes

I’m planning to do that after a couple of weeks. Just like I did with the 555PS. I guess it reveals the differences even more.

This is interesting. In a month or two, I’ll try connecting the ND555 back to the Cat.3560. Then get back to the ER.

As for the ER being part of the system I couldn’t agree more!
Unfortunately I dare say. I would be happy to pay a couple of thousands more for the ND555 just for not having to add a special switch to the system.

1 Like

I would say that the ER , or better powerblock and cables , are working like gates in an hydraulic dam.
It’s still water, but if the gate is more open, more water will pass through, so more energy and water life.

1 Like

ER is now out of stock at Audiostore, no new batch timing available on website.

Are you planning to order one?

Yes, but in a few weeks now i guess

1 Like

I ordered mine directly from the Uptone website. But it seems they’re presently sold-out.

The ER effect is interesting. I am pleasantly surprised.

The effect on my system differs from others experience, but it’s still there. Worth a try really.

Will you add a LPS to it?

1 Like

Yes i intend to borrow a plixir psu from my dealer. Having worked out the customs duty i might order direct as well from uptone audio.

They seem to handle the shipping efficiently. And, for me, paying in US$ made me save some cash. The CHF is pretty strong at moment. The Swiss Franc is regarded, the same way gold is, as “safe haven”. Pretty nice for imports :smiley:

1 Like

Well, I felt that it already achieved that with its own little SMPS, but there’s no doubt that adding an LPS with big toroidal transformer makes a surprisingly dramatic difference.

1 Like

Hi
I have a Melco so not too interested in spending £1000 or so on a switch but would buy a used Cisco to feed the Melco. Does it matter which 2960 and is the fact that it has built in power supply ok?
Is this the best one to try?

Yes took the plunge and ordered directly from them, they ship end of October apparently.

Yes @NigelB…really bought one this time.

2 Likes

Darkebear and french do have the same Melco but they are still using ER switch for better sound

1 Like

Look forward to your views of the ER and the Plixir power supply.

1 Like

Yes, I had that impression from posts but my experience is with the Melco in direct mode I can’t tell any difference if the internet (LAN) plug is connected or disconnected, so for me I can’t see improving upstream of the Melco in direct mode has any effect. This may be because I only have an SN2 + HiCapDR as amplification.
I only use internet to Melco for Spotify or internet radio which are already compressed so SQ is compromised anyway by the Internet source.
I can’t justify £1000 on that side but £100 if it drops Spotify noise floor would be cost effective.

Great news Gazza look forward to reading your impressions.

Thankyou Michael, could be a long wait…its my Xmas present, do not expect it until mid November onwards. It is your good self and @Darkebear that have spurred me on :grin:

No, not really. What actually matters is its firmware version.

The built in power supply is rather good. Surely not as quiet as a LPS, but fairly good.
There are several iterations of the Catalyst 2960. The “PD” version can be powered through POE or using an external power supply (meaning you could us a LPS).

Any Catalyst could do the trick.

They are excellent industry grade switches.

I’ve been using them for years at work and at home.
Just discovered (@Simon-in-Suffolk discovery) recently that my switches could be qualified as “audiophile” switches :grin:

As for which one to use, if you’re not familiar with network administration, I’d go for a 2960.

If you buy it new, it is plug’n’play. If it’s not new you’ll probably need to do some “cleaning”.

Are you planning to use the SFP port, connected to your Catalyst 2960?

No, at first it will replace the catalyst…router to hp procurve 408 to ER, see how it sounds?

1 Like