Online Meat Suppliers / Farms

A Welsh friend just recommended me the

1 Like

Salt Marsh Lamb is delicious and bred to very high welfare standards

1 Like

Thanks Ian, just reading the same, we’d rather have that once or twice per month rather than compromise, its not gonna happen after some recent, err, types of “slaughter” and welfare issues hit the web. Not on my watch.

I sometimes pull in and buy something from their shop if I’m driving down the A5. I don’t know about their lamb, but I’ve had some very nice beef from them.

1 Like

How sad we apparently don’t all have access to local butchers able to supply our needs. I’m perhaps fortunate to have a long established butcher less than a mile away, who stocks/supplies only locally farmed Cornish meat, all of which is delicious and not unreasonably priced. In today’s sad times shouldn’t we all be looking to support our local shops, which otherwise may not be there tomorrow? Perhaps this might entail going without some of the more esoteric products favoured by a few, but would that really be such a hardship?

3 Likes

Thanks Chris.

High peeps, sorry for the delay, been busy with other stuff.

I spoke to these guys

and was very impressed at their attitude to animal welfare and the fact they use an independent slaughter house minutes from their property.

We’ve ordered a selection for Christmas and will report back. Thanks for your input.

PS we’ve also found some butchers in the Chipping Sodbury / Stroud area too. Thanks

Martin

1 Like

I like the Coombe Farm website - sadly did not get to visit when I was in the area.

Combe Farm talk the talk, but there was a bit of a ruckus about their welfare standards in 2018. Easily googled and the Soil Association didn’t come off too well, either, although they were actually more transparent than Coombe farm themselves. The RSPCA and Waitrose dissociated themselves.

As I said before Broomhall’s of Eastington and Stonehouse Glos are a family run business using locally bred animals slaughtered by themselves. No frills old fashioned butcher. Not many like them these days.

My mother used to buy a very special roast beef cut. A secret between her and the butcher. May have been Eye of Round. It was put aside for her. We find that the old fashioned enamel roasting tin with dome cover by far the best way to roast meat. Time for the meat to relax is Essential.

Phil

1 Like

Indeed. Very sad

2 Likes

Our neighbour keeps sheep and a retired butcher divvies them up once slaughtered, so we have very locally produced organic lamb. Theres also a farm shop - Magasin à la ferme a la Chapelle Thémer not far away for everything else and very good too.

2 Likes

A certain mr Jody schekter of F1 fame has a place called laverstoke farm in Hampshire. I have not had anything from them but mates have and all spoken very highly of the products. Easily found with a google search.

1 Like

His Bison milk ice cream is to ‘die for’

1 Like

Thanks for all the input, we are big supporters of British produce. About the best in the world.

1 Like

These were phenomenal during the first lockdown as they needed to shift restaurant quality meat quickly. More recently they’ve been understandably inconsistent but their best has been superb.

1 Like

When i get round to organising my pictures i have some feedback, thanks all who responded

Hi Martin

My brother and sister-in-law run a small holding near Rhydri, east of Caerphilly. I’m not sure if it’s ok for me to make an unashamed plug, but search for Rhydri Fresh if interested.

3 Likes

@anon39880737 Many thanks. Will investigate. Small late update. OK so coming up to Christmas wanted to source some high quality meat. As mentioned, we don’t eat much red meat but when we do we want the best and know it’s provenance. Including, but not exclusively the abattoir and the absolute rule of ours of no ritual slaughter practices. We ask every time always, no exceptions. I wanted to make an extravagant beef wellington as the main Christmas meal. The site in question, in Wiltshire, not sure if allowed or fair to mention, seemed to fit the bill. They had lamb, chicken, beef fillet and the best mentioned was the cut chateaubriand which seemed to the one to order. All the other cuts were very nice, as described and delicious. However, we were a bit disappointed with the beef to say the least. I know it’s a natural product,

with variations, of course. But the website picture and what arrived was disappointing. Happy to buy and eat it, it was delicious, but a bit far from the website picture.

You might be interested to hear that Defra are consulting on ritual slaughter. It’s a tricky area but I feel change is overdue, particularly for poultry and pigs.
I’ve never worked in a ritual slaughter house, but prior to EU regulations there was plenty of scope for improvement.