Only in Norfolk

indeed it still does, the old rivalry extends to my work too with some crowing over the gt yarmouth new bridge being opened before the lowestoft one…

1 Like

I always felt that Trotters Independent Traders made an appropriate acronym & was almost reflected in real life when the insurance company I worked for in the late 1970s, early 1980s, sponsored a programme for young, promising athletes which include a very young Sebastian Coe.

The programme was called Provincial Insurance Training Squad, PITS, & someone was heard to remark, ‘Thank god it wasn’t sponsored by Trident Insurance…’.

Also from the book of medical acronyms - GPO, Good for Parts Only.

ATB, J

2 Likes

And of course… adolescent sniggering when you say ‘see you next Thursday’ to someone who has really just annoyed, antagonised or otherwise wound you up.

2 Likes

When I was in MOD the Corporate Headquarters Office Technology System (CHOTS) was originally going to be the Supreme Headquarters Information Technology System.

5 Likes

World War II postal acronyms were first used to convey messages between servicemen and their sweethearts back home. They were usually written on the back of an envelope.[1]

S.W.A.K. on the back of a letter c. 1942

The acronyms, possibly including some more recent additions, include:

• S.W.A.L.K. — Sealed With A Loving Kiss. A variant is S.W.A.K. (“Sealed With A Kiss”).[2]
  • V.E.N.I.C.E. — Very Excited Now I Caress Everywhere[3]
  • E.G.Y.P.T. — Eager to Grab/Eagerly Groping/Grasping Your Pretty Tits[4]
  • B.U.R.M.A. — Be Undressed/Upstairs Ready My Angel[4]
  • R.A.D.I.O. Romance And Delight I Offer (often used with B.U.R.M.A.)
  • S.I.A.M. Sexual Intercourse At Midnight (used with B.U.R.M.A. as in B.U.R.M.A. 4 S.I.A.M.)
  • H.O.L.L.A.N.D. — Hope Our Love Lives/Lasts And Never Dies
  • I.T.A.L.Y. — I Trust And Love You or I’m Thinking About Loving You
  • F.R.A.N.C.E. — Friendship Remains And Never Can End
  • M.A.L.A.Y.A. — My Ardent Lips Await Your Arrival
  • B.E.L.F.A.S.T. - Be Ever Loving, Faithful And Stay True.
  • N.O.R.W.I.C.H - (K)Nickers Off Ready When I Come Home.

Wiki.

2 Likes

I worked for them for a couple of years, in Glasgow, then Carlisle, so whereabouts were you?

I think being born and raised in Gorleston allows me to post this.
Narrich

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.