Open baffle speakers

JimDog, if you go to the Linkwitz support forum, oplug-support, you can see a list of OB owners who will let you come by for an audition. I think there may be UK based owners on that list.

1 Like

Chalshus, why did you get the PMCs if the JB!s sounded better? Care to discuss?

Just wanted to try some transmission line speakers. And they look good.

New speakers will be ready in a month or three

1 Like

There are obviously pros and cons to every type of speaker design. What worries me about open baffle speakers is the off axis response. Like when listening from the kitchen whilst cooking or from the dining table when friends are round. I get lovely solid bass from most positions around my room but I have heard that open baffle speakers can sound devoid of bass when you move out of the optimal zone. Just something to consider.

Mark84, valid point. Dispersion needs to be assessed on a case by case basis.

The John K NaOs are outstanding w.r.t directivity. See graphs in my earlier post.

The most intriguing actual speakers for me are the Bayz. Different technology than most.

1 Like

Lovely speakers.

Did you design them?

Do you still have them in storage?

Are the new ones also OB?

How many drivers?

Just been watching the Peter Jackson Beatles documentary with Mrs. JimDog.

Lovely times, back in 69.

We are supposed to be moving house, so no point in opening negotiations on room layouts right now.

If I can somehow build a pair of OBs for the price of parts with a lot of help I might be able to put them a third of the way across my current sitting room just for fun until the moveā€¦

The trouble is I donā€™t really want a pair that are quite good - I should wait and try to get real help to make something thst could displace the SL2s.

Thanks Diogenes.

That would be revelatory.

Iā€™ll look into that, within the bounds of what can be done at the moment.

I was able to listen briefly to the larger Bayz. Very deep and accurate bass extension. Very impressive but not enough time to have a more complete impression. They , I believe are in the 200K US dollar range!

1 Like

Chalshus, what are you building? Would be good to have details.

I have put up photos in the past, but Iā€™m hopeless at doing this, and am not sure how to do it again. I will post photos if I can.

1 Like

Yes - I did wonder as I did not recognise them as Waterfall design. I must have misread the original post.

If I do I will let you know. The mechanical/electrical parts can be purchased on their own without the wood parts for a lower cost (the kit is priced per speaker so a pair will be circa Ā£400) if one wanted to use a different wood for the front baffle.

Having heard the YouTube clip (using good headphones) that you suggested, I do wonder if they sound slightly forward in the midrange, though this might be a break-in or placement issue or alternatively, could be sorted with EQ. I would not describe the sound as harsh so much as slightly mid-dominant. They donā€™t have the big, effortless bass of the speakers (Spatials?) in the New Record Day reviews but they donā€™t cost the same either. I already have subwoofers so that would be less of a concern for me.

There is a good review of the kit in a magazine from Finland - Google translate was needed by me!

1 Like

They have one contender : MBL X TREME
If I donā€™t write silly things, I think they use similar technology. Unfortunately I have never heard them.

Hi Alex,

You didnā€™t misread the original post.
It is the original that contains the incorrect info, as shown below.

No big deal, really. The speakersā€™ design is interesting anyways, whatever their origin.

1 Like

They look very interesting - did you find any improvement having them further away from the front wall?

Did you make the horn assembly or did you purchase them pre-made?

Do you have your own CNC machine?

A friend of mine do it for me. DBO is fine when DIY isnā€™t an option. :sunny:
Active crossover. With DSP. Bass system is a slot loaded open baffle. Drivers are two 15"JBL 2226H and two 12" 18Sound 12MB1000 drivers. Crossover at around 900Hz.
They will play on one power amplifier, but because the 18Sound driver have higher resonant frequency (fs) it will work better in the mid bass area. (Or something like that - I am not the guy with the knowledge here). My friend made his own CNC machine. Good to know guys like him.

Midrange/tweeter will be a Radian 950PB driver with Truextent beryllium diagram. I also have a Yamaha tweeter, but perhaps it is not necessary to use that. Horn is a TAD TH4001 clone in wood.
The boxes are made of 38mm MDF and milled. Braced inside and made even stiffer with fiberglass. I will have them professionally veneered.

1 Like

I did once make a pair of OB speakers using a pair of Blaupunkt CX-100 component speakers (10cm drivers) that I removed from my MGB when I replaced them with Focals. They were desk top speakers and I just used several of layers of very thick art card for the baffle and frame.

Net result was a very clear and airy sound but virtually no bass to speak of. Having said that, the speakers produced very little bass in the MGB either, hence the upgrade to the larger Focals!

My post was not clear enough. I was talking about glass speakers in general, first Waterfall then the other one.

1 Like