Optical Cable - LG TV to NSC222

With the main house TV in-between the speakers (Kudos Super 20A) and about 2.5m away from the 222 I wondered about connecting the Optical out on the TV to one of the digital inputs on the 222.

What are people’s thoughts on this, would this work, what sort of sound quality would I get?

I have no wish to have a surround sound system, so am wondering whether to splash out on a sound bar or to make use of the Kudos speakers.

Please let me know whether this is a sensible idea or whether I am heading in the wrong direction connecting the TV to the 222.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Oxfordian,
I use optical setup from my LG TV to NSC 222 and it works perfect You will get a good sound quality and it will be no problem to enjoy TV, movies and Youtube music etc.
Cheers!

4 Likes

Exactly what we do (albeit it’s the optical output from our Virgin V6 box) and much better than using the internal TV speakers. Just make sure you set the digital output on the TV to PCM 2.0 and you should be good to go.

1 Like

I did this with my 222 and now do it with my 333. You might need to adjust the trim level on the input so TV volume is not very different from other sources.

1 Like

I recommend getting an optical cable of a length that you can foresee sitting behind your system easily.
Most of them will pop out of its connected termination by the wind strength of a mild fart…

3 Likes

Or an exploring kitten.

3 Likes

If you have a device like a a sky box. It’s worth trying the optical output from this.
Source first.
I have both and can marginally tell some superior performance of the optical output from my sky box than from the Smart screen optical output cables into my NDac. Presumably due to the signal travelling through an extra device and its own processing.

This might not be universally the case, so some experimentation will be needed.

1 Like

Thanks everyone, I’ll order a 3m cable which should be fine if the dog farts, he’s now too big to get behind the kit so a cable should be safe from his teeth back there.

Any thoughts on the cable, are all optical cables equal or is a bit of a spend required, I’ve seen ones advertised for a few quid and some for a hell of a lot more.

1 Like

No smart boxes here, just the Blu-ray into the TV then hopefully out to the 222.

A few on this forum have been demonstrative against spendy optical cables, saying it’s the termination that holds back costly and fancy esoteric wire technology.
I would disagree, but some sensible research should help narrow things down relative to your cable budget.

There are zillions to choose from, just take a look at Amazons offerings.
No point in high prices as in a domestic application the limiting factor is TosLink.
I found the metal cased ends are generally better than plasic as they make for a better secure fit.
Mine is a brand called deleyCON, it has metal ends and is very flexible
Current price for 5m is £15.95.

2 Likes

So true and frustrating.

Thanks, 1 cable ordered, at £16 if it doesn’t work it’s not the end of the world.

2 Likes

I’m doing this with LG OLED to toslink input on ND5 XS2. If TV is between the speakers this is obvious choice, imo.

Beats the hell out of a sound bar, that’s for certain.

Agree that there’s no sense spending on fancy cables. I’m using Amazon basic or equivalent.
Cheers

3 Likes

I can second this, I have the same setup.

1 Like

I have connected my TV to my audio system for at least thirty years, with Playstation , VCR in the early days and now Blu Ray and Sky Box these days.

I use optical from Chord for the Sky Box and Chord Clearway from the BluRay .

2 Likes

I would feed the BluRay sound directly in the Naim , with a decent BluRay you get a decent sound , I wouldn’t put it anywhere near the TV

1 Like

Okay I’m being really really thick here but if I connect TV to my 222 and my Blu-Ray to the 222 how do I get TV and Player running at the same time, as I can only source one at a time. Can’t I?

I know the answer is going to be so simple but I just cannot work out how I do this.

I have an Audioquest Pearl optical cable, from my LG OLED to my Naim NDX2. That way, I can get the sound from TV sources to play through my main system.
Much better than any soundbar!

2 Likes

How do you get the signal for the TV ? I use a Sky Box and a Blu Ray player , I split the audio signal at source

As Daniel H says , he feeds his sources into the TV and out again - via an optical cable out , I use a different route

It depends which TV you have , if you have an optical out that should do the job

1 Like