Optimal server for NSC222 - to NAS or not to NAS

I also seen the Synology NAS in many systems pics. Does the fan noise bother you? Or do you have it in a separate room with modem?

Literally none of this is how this stuff works.

2 Likes

I always had my nas someplace on my network remote from the hi fi. My Roon Nucleus is in my home’s utility area, where the cable co. hardware is.

1 Like

Well obviously i speak for my case, and i mentionned it. So what?

@jmtennapel

Best Router For SoundQuality

If nothing interfere in sound with NAS, just asking dont kill the messenger, why are we looking for better router, better lan cables?

For example:

And as for me, i am looking to add a Silver dragon usb 3.0. cable between my SSD and Atom HE.

We tried the Core over ethernet, streaming into NDX2, and directly connected via SPDIF.

Could hear absolutely no difference, so we have the Core well away from main system in a corner with the NAS, both accessed via cabled network.

Our Synology fan is near silent, so the two network devices we basically just forget are even there.

1 Like

Thanks

There are fanless NASs. I use a QNAP HS251, ironically in another room, but I’d happily have it in the rack. Some folks have argued that fanless models are more prone to failure, but mine has been switched on and running for several years.

Oh b….er, have I just gone and jinxed it?

Roger

1 Like

Audirvana has optimized all processes for the best sound quality on Mac and Windows computers

So it was changing something in the music quality rendering. And i prefered without.

Typically, when you stream audio, you need both a media “server” & a media “player.”

Litteraly yes, this how it works.

That one sentence is correct; you do need a server and a player.

Everything about an “app DAC” and “running it through the Naim app” is wrong.

You may be confused by the fact that Audirvana can use a sound card in your computer as a device for output (player). There would be a dac in the soundcard. Depending on setup, Windows may be using the soundcard’s dac or the CPU’s processing power to convert digital to audio. But using Audirvana only as a server to e.g. a Naim player, no dac is in the equation other than the dac in your Naim player.

2 Likes

When using a computer automatically you pass through the soundcard. You cant bypass it.

And you are right about dac. English is not my first langage. Sorry for the misunderstanding. What i meant was that Audirvana does some kind of digital processing of music files before sending them to your unit.

When streaming from a NAS to a streamer, software on the streamer communicates with software on the NAS. There is no other computing device involved. You may be using an app on your computer or phone to control the streamer, but this is peripheral to the music playback.

1 Like

Not no – a “computer” running a music server package is no different than a “NAS” running a music server package. The digital files are transmitted by either your “computer” or “NAS” from where they are stored (on a local drive or in the cloud or from a streaming service) to the ethernet output of the computer or nas, to the home network, to the player. No soundcard is involved whatsoever.

If a soundcard was involved, you’d be getting analog output from the soundcard and connecting that directly to an analog input of your preamp; the network would not be involved nor would the dac of a player. In fact, the Naim players do not accept analog input from a soundcard.

1 Like

You may well be able to get Audirvana to do some dsp, yes. Roon will do this too. It can be as simple as a volume change, or more complicated such as applying an equalization curve based on your room measurements that you “feed” to the software. But it’s all in the digital domain and does not use any soundcard or dac.

The macmini was connected directly to the Cambridge audio 851n with an optical cable.

I strongly suspect that your music remains totally in the digital domain in that configuration.

Because that optical cable is providing a digital signal, not an analog signal.

Meaning, any sound card or dac in the Macmini is being bypassed.

It’s possible. Audirvana was a mess for tagging so now SSD is direct to Atom. I will see in my next setup if i fo back to a NAS or not.