Order of stacking in a Dresser

Hi,

I have the following equipment and for domestic reasons, need to pop it all into a dresser unit which has 3 good cupboards accessed by solid wood doors.

I’m planning to pop the Naim equipment inside, with the turntable on the top for easy access. Any thoughts on placement & order of placement?

Cupboard-1:
NAP 250 (chrome bumper)
XPS DR (to power CD-X2)
HiCap (Olive( to power NAC-82
HiCap (Olive( to power NAC-82

Cupbord-2
NAC-82
CDX2
Yamaha cassette player (for legacy reasons, I’ve kept it!)

The idea behind this was to separate the power amp and supplies from the source & pre-amp

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Just for reference, in our bedroom dresser with 5 drawers.
Top draw. Pants
Second draw. Socks
Third draw. Her pants
Fourth draw. Her socks.
Fifth draw. Bits and bobs.
Hope that helps.

6 Likes

Oh no separate dressers surely.

Could you share a picture?

1 Like

That’s not a dresser, it’s a chest of drawers. Our dresser has a cupboard at each end and three drawers in the centre. Glasses in the left, crockery in the right. Cutlery in the top drawer. Table cloths in the next and bits and bobs at the bottom.

1 Like

Isn’t that a Welsh dresser ?

1 Like

I don’t know. It was made in Chichester.

243072EA-CB31-4618-A23F-3476E63BFD63-495-000000B59E71C4A8

Convenient cd and vinyl storage options.

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for the comments - very amusing! Attached are pics of the dresser into which I plan to pop the Naim gear - any suggestions as to order & placement?

For domestic reasons nearly all of my full size Naim boxes are mostly housed in a record/equipment which has been canabilised. And some!
The things to watch out for are cable dresssing and ventilation. Naim kit is designed to work in extreme conditions, i.e. hot and that should not be a problem. Avoid sharp bends in cables, try to keep anything touching any ajacent walls.
Wether it sounds as good or nearly so as a sorted Fraim support I can’t say. It can be difficult to get the kit safely into the cupboard/s and neatly dressed. A 500 power amp is no light unit to fit without damage and care. Good luck with the project.

1 Like

You shouldn’t stack the units directly on top of each other, so you really need to add two shelves to each section. You also need to remove the back for ventilation and keep it a decent distance from the wall. Then put the powered boxes on the right and the others on the left. Ideally of course you’d ditch the cupboard and get proper racks but presumably that’s a non starter.

2 Likes

Hi. Thanks for the thoughts. I’ll see if I can add additional shelves. Might be challenging. Once setup, I’ll post some pics.

If possible I would remove the back panel otherwise cable dressing will be very difficult and overheating could be a problem.

Hi,

I removed a sizeable section to give ventilation and to make cabling up feasible. I’m quite pleased with the result. I made shelves from 19mm MDF with a walnut veneer that are supported on mdf supports on either side. I sprayed these a dark brown.

Nee to pop some iron-on veneer on the shelves, but other than that, it’s aesthetically pleasing to me. I’m really satisfied with the sound too. Nice and tight.

7 Likes

Anil, congratulations it look fine and if it keeps domestic tranquility then it is time and money well spent! Look forward to hearing how you get on over the next several weeks with the new arrangement!

Best of luck!

My wife and I have gone for the brains and brawn twin dressers. There’s a rather worthwhile uplift in harmony with that upgrade.

1 Like

You’ve done a really nice job. The flowers are a nice touch. I’d probably stain the front of the MDF if I was being fussy.

1 Like

Yes, I’ll put some walnut veneer on the edges when I get a chance. Might swap the hicaps and NDX around to.

Is there ever any end to tweaking?

1 Like

Nicely done, a credit to you! So much nicer looking (to me, of course), than any hi-fi racking. My smaller system lives on built-in alcove shelving, and also sounds great.

2 Likes

I presume that “hers” is on the left?

1 Like