Organik Upgrade Time

Indeed. Even with the latest Organik board, there is a quite a bit of difference between the slimline Klimax and the NG Klimax. Great kit though.

2 Likes

Hi Diggygun.
I have just had the Utopik upgrade with my existing Organik DAC DS and I am 2 days in and its already sounding superb, a nice upgrade. But it wasn’t free, can you clarify what you mean?
thanks

3 Likes

Which version DS do you have out of interest ?

As you say the upgrade isn’t free, but is part of the Utopik promotion Linn have got on, whereby you purchase certain components and get a free Utopik upgrade (for a compatible product).

Otherwise it’s £1350, which isn’t bad in the Linn spectrum of pricing.

1 Like

As @james_n said

DG…

Had a very nice few hours at Cymbiosis this afternoon. Mrs DG and I went up for the Organik / Utopik demo.

We took along our Linn Klimax DS/3 Katalyst (1) to demo against the Organik version (2) and also took the opportunity to demo the Linn Selekt DSM Organik / Utopik (3). Unfortunately, they didn’t have a Klimax DS/3 Organik / Utopik that we could demo.

Played a pre-set playlist of tracks that we know well. A pleasant time listening to music and drinking coffee.

They were connected to a Naim NAC 552 pre-amp, with 2x Naim NAP 350 power amps feeding Kudos 606 speakers.

Started with (1) to set the base level, then (2) and finally (3).

There was an improvement between (1) and (2) where there was more detail, with percussion being more defined and an overall improvement in depth.

Interestingly, the improvement was not as much there was as against the Naim ND5 XS, when we initially got (1) in 2022.

With (3), the presentation was a bit more relaxed, but a lot more detailed. Was hearing detail that I hadn’t noticed before.

After a chat with them, going back up to demo the Linn Selekt DSM Utopik with two Stereo Organik Power Out Cartridges (Active) into the Kudos 606 speakers.

Before making any final decision, want to demo a single box hub system against a large number of Naim black boxes system.

As well as the sound, one of the things I liked about (3) was the modular approach. For example, you add cartridges for various configurations, which can have one of three DACs (Standard / Katalyst / Organik). If you start, say with the standard DAC and want to upgrade to the Organik at a later stage, you can p/x the old DAC for the new DAC as it is a plug in module. Rather than with the Organik upgrade for (1), there is no p/x for the old DAC, which goes as WEEE waste. This also makes upgrading in the future easier.

So keeping my options open at the moment will decide further after the next demo sometime in December. But doing a lot of research on the Selekt Edition DSM.

DG…

5 Likes

So you missed out the most important part of the demo. :slight_smile:
Anyway, thanks @DiggyGun for the info.

1 Like

My main focus was the Organik demo , as I had been planning to upgrade to this since I first got my streamer.

DG…

We are again at Cymbiosis tomorrow (Saturday) to demo the Selekt Edition DSM Hub with Utopik and two Stereo Power Amplifier Cartridges and two Organik DAC Modules. This will feed directly to the Kudos Titan 606 speakers using Kudos KS-1 speaker cable, (which I currently have).

Will post review, once we have digested this.

DG…

4 Likes

One box active, DG ?

1 Like

Yes. Looking at a one box system.

Radical departure from a number of Naim black boxes, I know.

We liked the sound of the Seleckt Edition the other week, when used as a streamer only compared to the DS/3 Organik.

So going to try it on its own.

I know that the Linn sound will be different from the Naim sound and, after some reading it may not have the slam of Naim but may be more detailed.

Given that we listen to Jazz, this may be of benefit.

All will be revealed tomorrow, so looking forward to it.

Whatever happens, it’s always nice auditioning Hi-Fi.

DG…

3 Likes

We had a very good demo session at Cymbiosis and many thanks to Phil for helping us.

Listened to our Test Playlist on the Selekt Edition DSM Hub with Utopik and two Stereo Power Amplifier Cartridges and two Organik DAC Modules. This was active into the Kudos Titan 606 loud speakers using Kudos KS-1 speaker cable. (We have these speakers and cables at home).

All I can say is stonking. The amount of detail was well presented, picking out parts that I hadn’t heard before. the sound was exceptionally clear and relaxed.

It is a different sound from using Naim amplification, as above, but the cartridges did drive the speakers well, with no struggle whatsoever. I was quite impressed with what power those two cartridges could produce. Maybe not quite so much slam as Naim, but certainly no slouch. It did seem to be well suited for Jazz which is the main genre that we listen to.

I did however, contact Kudos prior to the demo to see if there would being any issues driving the 606s. They replied that it would be a good match and the person who replied, further advised that he has a high-end Linn DSM into his Titan speakers. Indeed, if you look at their website for the Linn Active Set-up Guide, it does show the Linn Selekt DSM as the active source.

We liked it so much, that we ordered the black version which should take ten days or so to get to Cymbiosis, then we can arrange a date for installation.

Hopefully, will make it in time for a nice Christmas present for us.

DG…

11 Likes

I can’t say I’m surprised at your decision. I find the Organik DAC really rather special and enjoy it as much now as when I first got it.

It’s the start of Advent, so I’ve been listening to some of my favourite Christmassy choral albums. The way the DAC presents the voices of individual singers from within a chorus, whilst the whole choir still sound together is thrilling and just what I hear at a concert.

There’ve been hints Naim might be going down the FGPA route so perhaps interesting DAC developments lie ahead there, too.

Roger

5 Likes

Nice one, DG :+1:

Linn seem to have hit quite a sweet spot with the Selekt Edition when it comes to flexibility and performance. Using Exakt with the DAC and Power Amp cartridges to take the 606s active is a neat approach.

I hope you manage to get everything in place before the Christmas break and I’ll be interested to hear how you get on.

2 Likes

@james_n

Yes, we’re looking forward to it. I really like the Selekt Edition DSM concept. Sort of future proofing with the modular approach.

First big step last year was going purely digital. Swapping the LP12, (which I’d had since 1986) and CD5 XS for the Linn Klimax DS/3 Katalyst, but retaining the Naim active amplification into Kudos Titan 606 speakers. (Ten boxes in total).

Second big step this year, going to a one box system, Linn Selekt Edition DSM active into the 606s.

I must thank all at Cymbiosis for their support and help to guide us through these changes.

Still, this does mean some changes to the lounge layout and electrics. But I will post some before and after photos when all done.

Mrs DG has found some nice furniture, from the range that we already have, to stand the DSM on.

No changes planned for 2024, I’m pleased to report.

And thanks for your help with previous questions that I have had.

DG…

2 Likes

Not seen any such speculation myself but Chord Electronics have led the FGPA way and are (imho) top of that tree Can’t see Chord relinquishing any lead on this any time soon. Would be interesting to see what Naim does in future.

1 Like

How exciting for you. Have I read it correctly that the Linn will replace all the Naim stuff? What seems most interesting is that the tiny little Linn amplifiers can drive the speakers in a way you are happy with, in comparison with large Naim power amps with their massive transformers and many kgs of weight. While I’m much lower down the scale with my Nova, there is something really good about a high quality single box without all those plugs, wires and sheer bulk.

5 Likes

Yes, part exchanging all the current system, ten boxes, for the new DSM, one box.

I was very impressed by the grunt that the amp cartridges could produce in driving the speakers.

Max volume we tried was 85 and that was very loud, too loud to listen to in fact.

So should be well suited for our home, plus we are using two amp cartridges as staying active with the 606s.

DG…

1 Like

Excellent! One question - I was looking the Selekt up, following my earlier post, and it seems that if you have dual mono Organik dacs it looks like you can’t have the amps, but if you have a single stereo Organik then you can have one, two or three power amps. Is that right? If so I imagine it’s the stereo Organik you are going for.

Whatever, it’s going to be a big change for you. I do hope all that room reorganisation wasn’t wasted!!

1 Like

@HungryHalibut

Yes, we’re having two Stereo Power Amplifier Cartridges fitted.

You can fit up to three cartridges of various combinations.

If you have the Dual Mono Input cartridges in, you can have only one Amplifer cartridge. But you could have one Stereo Input cartridge and two Amplifier cartridges, making it active.

It will go in the same area as the current system, but essentially on a solid Oak sideboard that Mrs DG has chosen, instead of Hi-Fi racks.

The trunking will in fact be hidden by the sideboard, but I will be making it more compact.

There is only a little work to do from the big re-organisation that we did. As I said, small bit of trunking adaption and will have to drill a couple of holes in the rear of the sideboard for the cables to and from the EE8 Switch.

DG…

4 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I look forward to seeing it all set up, in the fullness of time.

1 Like