Organik Upgrade Time

Booked into Cymbiosis to demo the Organik DAC upgrade for my Linn Klimax DS3 / Katalyst, whilst Linn have the offer on for a free Utopik PS upgrade.

DG…

11 Likes

Be rude not to……

3 Likes

I’ll be interested in how you get on. Enjoy your demo.

1 Like

Me too. To my ears the Organik DAC really is something rather special and it will be fascinating to hear what you make of it. The Utopik upgrade is worthwhile too, though I‘ve only heard that with Organik in a Selekt box.

Roger

2 Likes

I’m trying to get the same dem sorted in my diary. Would be very interested to hear how you get on (or indeed from anyone else who has done the same).

1 Like

And me. I heard today that the Utopik is possibly the most impressive of the two. Certainly the best “value”.

1 Like

So does the latest KDSM have Utopik now?

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

I wonder how much better it is than the Selekt edition dual organic I tried? Same Dac, same power supply. I loved the Selekt but it was not quite enough to make me upgrade

1 Like

Only one way to find out I suppose. Totally different casing though on the Klimax isolating the various sections into screened compartments.

I’m curious as to what @DiggyGun finds with the Utopik upgrade. My Dynamik PSU only has two years under its belt so I’ll probably pass on the Utopik upgrade for now.

2 Likes

Happy Xmas😉

3 Likes

I did say probably :smiley:

3 Likes

My dealer reckoned that the top of the range Selekt with Organik and Utopik is better than my early KDSM with Organik upgrade. But he would say that wouldn’t he?

As for top Selekt vs KDSM/3, I’ve wondered about that too, but I guess it’s very subjective and may depend on how it’s used: straight into a power amp or via a preamp. One of these days I might do an audition.

Roger

2 Likes

Not too up on the linn ecosystem but I notice you have the KDSM plus a vega? Are you not duplicating a lot of funtions? If you do thry the KDSM/3 into your active 40s let us know what you think because that would be ny use case.

thanks!

1 Like

The Vega’s not currently in use in the main system, replaced by the Linn. I’m planning to use it in a system in another room.

Roger

2 Likes

I’ve taken advantage of the promotion of a free Utopik to get an Ekos SE replacement for my old Ekos 2, which is more than 24 years old.

3 Likes

Regarding the difference in SQ between the Klimax DS3 Organik / Utopik vs Seleckt Edition Organik / Utopik, I sent the same question to Linn and a different dealer that I normally use.

Their replies were interesting;
Linn

• The Selekt edition hub is based on the Klimax DSM/3, but the performance of the Klimax DSM/3 will still be significantly better.

Dealer

• My preference of Selekt DSM Edition v Klimax DS/3 with Organik+Utopik would be the Selekt DSM. I think the Selekt sounds better and is a much more versatile product.

Both interesting comments and I shall find out on Monday when I visit my normal dealer.

DG…

2 Likes

Are they comparing the same thing? The dealer is comparing an older upgraded klimax do vs linn comparing the new generation?

Linn make Naim look straightforward in terms of hierarchy :rofl:

1 Like

That’s why I’m having a demo.

Let my ears do the talking.

DG…

Linn are currently offering a trade-in deal for older Klimax DSMs against a new DSM3. I’m trying very hard to pretend I’m not interested.

Roger

4 Likes