Out door music ... taking Naim outside

Ok I’m a nature lover, bird song I love, traffic noise I don’t. Of course I have got out my ancient Sony Radio and put batteries in it for R4, but music it ain’t.
My WiFi does not reach far outside, but far enough for some sort of speaker to be rigged up. A Muso is an obvious solution, but what over solutions are there, and should I extend my WiFi further (I have a spare Apple Extreme tower going spare …)?

I use a Ruark R1 radio including the optional battery pack and with Bluetooth for things like Radio Paradise. I know some go for a full stereo set up but for casual listening this works for me.

1 Like

Unless Naim come up with a battery powered QB then you’re a bit restricted - unless you want to add another Qute to your collection and connect it to some outdoor speakers ?

I bought a Sonos Move last year for outdoor use (via Wi-Fi). Battery lasts all day, I can use it with both our Sonos system and via Roon and it sounds good too.

1 Like

Worth noting that if you buy a portable speaker that’s Apple AirPlay 2 or Google Home compliant, you can set that up in a multi-room configuration with suitably equipped Naim kit (inc 1st and 2nd Gen Mu-so, plus latest Uniti and streamers). So you could have same sounds in house and garden, or stream to your portable indoors when the weather isn’t so great (If it’s steam as well as water-resistant, it’s ideal for bathrooms, too!)

2 Likes

(Or) Buy a Bentley. Open the doors. Put some music. Loud. :wink::clown_face::sunglasses::fire:

6 Likes

Genius - the drop-top version of this would be perfect! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

A 2nd gen. Muso or QB might fit the bill, as they have decent WiFi modules which should work pretty well from your AE. The 1st gen Musos have prehistoric 802.11g WiFi and are notoriously weak performers unless used with Ethernet.

Alternatively there are loads of battery powered ‘smart speakers’, Bluetooth speakers etc. which might be worth considering and wouldn’t need a network connection.

3 Likes

Excellent recommendations - thanks all (@ChrisSU @Naim.Marketing @james_n @anon29651526 @Biggles). Lots of research to do before the next hot spell.

2 Likes

If you’re happy with a bluetooth or a cable from your phone, have a look at the Cambridge Audio Yoyo M. I thought they sounded surprisingly good despite being bluetooth and, one of the few that is a stereo pair.

I use a JBL Xtreme in the garden. Good sound, lasts all day and rain proof.

I’ve considered adding a Bluetooth transmitter to my Naim stack but I don’t think the sound will be much better than my iPhone. Has anyone else gone this route?

2 Likes

You’ll be lucky to get a Bluetooth signal to work outside the room it’s sent from. WiFi would be better.

1 Like

Bluesound Pulse Flex has optional battery pack (so not tied to the mains) and will work via WiFi or Bluetooth…

I have two of these, one in kitchen one in conservatory. As you say, battery pack lasts ages and allows garden use. BlueOS app is good too.

Xtreme 2 is discounted at the JBL site presumably as there’s a version 3.

You could potentially power a Muso with a large battery pack with a 3pin socket.

This sort of thing:

More expensive ones produce pure sine wave output.

1 Like

I use a Ubiquiti LR access point which blasts wifi the length of a 300’ garden well enough to stream HD Youtube and more than enough for my QB which is now rock solid anywhere in the house and garden. Costs about £100, then all you need is a mains socket.

1 Like

Friend of mine have one. I got impressed for what it is. He used to take it to the beach… :joy::joy::joy::joy::sunglasses:

Your neighbours must be delighted :wink:

I’m lucky - nobody within a quarter of a mile. I had a live band playing in the garden until after midnight on my 60th.

2 Likes

Wifi extender to garden and an Audio Pro speaker.

1 Like