Out with Roon, in with the Naim app

And stupid Ethernet cables and switches which for me do absolutely nothing to my musical enjoyment.

I hear no sq differences with Roon compared to anything else when it’s all volume matched and DSP disengaged. With DSP it’s leaps ahead for me.

3 Likes

All that doesn’t matter much to me as i have stated.
The biggest fact was spend out more money to get a worse sounding system, in my system you could clearly hear it all shrink and thats why i borrowed a roon nucleus to see if it was the mac causing it, but it was the same

Yes, I was only adding an alternative view on the price comment.
I was not commenting, and won’t engage on :slight_smile: supposed SQ differences.

Sorry but that’s not exclusive to listening to an LP. I get that from all my music regardless of source what you use to access them makes no difference here. If it does then I have to question the person using it not the method itself. It’s about the music not the means we listen to it.

I know it was a generally reply really not aimed at you.

I know, my reply was actually not to you or general but directly to Dunc’s post, but stupidly the forum software does not make this obvious if the reply is immeditaly to the post above and one does not quote explicitly. I should remember this and quote explicitly, it frequently leads to misunderstanding otherwise. (And I wish Discourse would fix this in the software)

1 Like

If you tap on the reply arrow underneath any previous post your reply appears with that users avatar in the top right corner. Tap on that and it shows users the text to which you replied. In effect you create a sub-thread within a thread and it becomes quite clear who you are talking to.

Your current sub is a sunk cost… buying lifetime will cost $x now, $x+ after January… unless you have a better use for $x between now and January, buy before January!

2 Likes

The problem is that this does not seem to work if the reply is for the immediate previous post.

As far as I can tell after many thousands of posts on various Discourse forums, this only happens if the two posts don’t follow each other immediately. Like now it will, because there is AndyR’s post in between.

Screenshot of this post, with the avatar of the user who wrote the post I replied to:

But if I reply to my own post right away (i.e., the “testtesttest” post immediately following this one), clicking the post’s reply button correctly (and not the thread’s), the replied-to avatar is not there:

Edited in after the “testtesttest” post:

This looks indistinguishable to a generic reply on the thread, as far as I can tell. The same thing happens if replying not to oneself but another poster

Testtesttest

Roon’s features and integration of my local music library with that of Tidal and Qobuz haVE completely transformed my music discovery and listening experience for the better.

I have my Roon Core installed on an inexpensive 8i5 NUC and it works flawlessly, allowing me to stream music seemlessly to each of my (four) disparate streaming systems. I was recently on holiday in the US and was able to run Roon there courtesy of the new Roon Arc app - a nice to have although a feature I probably won’t use very often. I can’t recall my ISP broadband being unavailable on a single occasion over the last couple of years with the exception of when we had a brief power outage in my local area last winter - but then of course I couldn’t power up my hifi systems then anyway.

For me Roon has been a transformative experience, and I can’t see myself choosing to move away from it. One or two people on this thread have stated that they have tried Roon and don’t understand its attraction. However, I can’t help but feel that they must be in the minority.

And importantly - absolutely no hint whatsoever of a downgrade in SQ for me on my systems.

1 Like

So.

It appears to me, roon is basically the audio equivalent of Deliveroo. :blush:

3 Likes

But this is one of several things that puts me off Roon at least for my personal use. I have very carefully tagged my music, often specifically to exploit certain features of how MinimServer handles classical. The last thing I want is to have this taken over by software that has a different way of organising things. There are several threads on the Roon forum detailing difficulties encountered by users who mostly listen to classical music, some of whom have just given up.

Roger

1 Like

True, but this is sometimes because they are unable to accept that ‘different’ is not the same as ‘wrong’, and are unwilling to move away from their own often bizarre self-imposed conventions…

‘Classical’ is subject to the idiosyncrasies of the label’s tagging conventions too. Roon does a good enough job for me most of the time. I can think of only a handful of cases where I’ve either used ‘prefer file’ for tags, or overridden the metadata Roon has found.

Sometimes I ignore any anomalies, and just hit play…

I do recognise that curation is an end in itself that gives many people satisfaction. I used to do it too - until I realised that in most cases Roon was doing it better than I could!

:blush:

No! I simply highlighted some of the seamless delivery features that are a very worthwhile bonus.

The real value of Roon lies in its music discovery features and in its ability at the press of a ‘button’ to gather, display and explore information about eg. other musicians contributing to an album. Roon can lead you on a tangent of music exploration in so many ways!

I think it’s great you have a product that works for you. I’m thankful I don’t need an expensive impractical software app to get at my music and use multiroom which works without a hitch and without the complication. You clearly enjoy tinkering with things, I don’t. I want the music to play with the least amount of tinkering and being on the legacy platform I’m at the limit of the tinkering I’m willing to endure. And my music listening is uninterrupted by lack of internet access ftw. I have no beef with roon or its users, I’m glad these niche solutions exist for no other reason than to create markets that otherwise would not exist. It’s all good it’s just not for me like so many other niche markets.

1 Like

It doesn’t need to, you just read the thread.

As I have come across a larger number of misunderstandings due to ambiguity regarding whether the reply was to the immediate post or meant for the thread in general (just like as we just saw above by CrystalGipsy), I respectfully disagree.

Edit: Personally, I tend to agree with “read the thread”, but fact is that the omission of the avatar in replies that immediately follow leads to misunderstandings, and it should be in the interest of Discourse (which I think is really great forum software otherwise) to avoid misunderstandings in the interest of civil discussion.

Chris, you should check this since I think you might be wrong here (a rare occasion :blush:). Try to reply this yourself (before anyone else does) and you see what happens.

1 Like