Out with Roon, in with the Naim app

You wanted it to filter things that you hadn’t added to your library. Your own library includes Tidal, Qobuz as well as what’s on your own NAS. :thinking:

No library as in Roon library. It searches in what you have already added from the sources to your Roon library. So I would want to filter the full Qobuz and Tidal offering. OK given there may be limitations on the API calls of whether this is even possible. But it does not add much for me when it searches in things I have already added myself.

Filter on millions of tracks? Well yes it would be possible, an API wouldn’t be used as Roon would have an almost up to date DB of Tidal and Qobuz from there they could serve up the results which could be very large!

Yeah they should have an index anyways and as search is pulled to the cloud it should be performant enough.

There are ways to present the search results in a way to make it usable. A “Show more” button with the number of search results can assist users. And the users statistics could be used to sort the results in a way that the results on page 1 are the most likely to be of interest to the user.

Yes, this is the easy bit.

And this is the difficult bit!

Is it really?

They can already present the stats on the interface and Valence already uses this type of data to make suggestions in other areas of the app. So, it should be possible to re-use this logic to filter a search set.

There may be some architectural reason that it contradicts this but without deep knowledge of the system it seems that they already have the puzzle pieces they would need for this.

Did I miss a step?

We seem to be discussing search, where we were discussing focus…

Focus is just the name Roon gave to a very specific search mode. So it is all related. And it links to the reason I started the thread in the first place as this played a role in my decision.

It is, yes.
One individual may like the results and another may not. You cannot predict what other people will want.

As far as I am aware Roon uses YOUR usage patterns to suggest things while using all user’s statistics to train the neural net to augment the result set. But it is still related to your library and likes and usage patterns. That will very much mean that if they can overlay that same logic over a set of search results that it will be tailored for the person. I mean this is how Tidal and Spotify (and the others) do it.

You therefore not predicting at all as Roon has access to everything you save and play and like.

Hmmm. I guess you could look at it like that.

I see focus as a filter view on the library database. In my mind a very different function to a search. Evidently you see it differently, and there’s no reason why you should change your decision to not use Roon if it doesn’t fit your use case.

It’s all terminology, I guess. In software dev world a filter is a refinement parameter for a search set.

True. Which might have influenced the decision to call it ‘focus’, especially as ‘filter’ is indeed used as a refinement parameter for ‘search’, complete with the usual ‘funnel’ icon…

We all approach choosing what to play next differently. For me that doesn’t usually involve ‘focus’ - I think I’ve only ever used it for ‘admin’ tasks.

I think I’ve only ever used the Naim app for setup or diagnostics.

1 Like

Yeah the term “Smart filters” may have been confusing :smile:

I use it a lot for Admin to. Every month or so I do one to sort out what stuff I added from streaming is worthy of buying or keeping . So I focus on qobuz albums that are not duplicates of my own files and have been played a certain amount of times in set period. I then club off whats only been played a few times and tend to buy ones played a lot then remove them from qobuz.

1 Like

I’m going to be giving Roon a run in the next few weeks. My curiosity is principally tweaked by:

• The abilities to easily move around artists and similar music; and
  • Upscaling Qobuz.

With the latter:
A number of weeks ago I set up my dCS to use dual AES output into my Chord M-Scaler. In order to trigger this I have to set a minimum frequency rate, otherwise the output is single AES. For my local music I use Minimserver and so upscale 44.1 > 88.2 & 48 > 96kHz.

A couple of weeks ago I played an old playlist via Kazoo, it sounded rather poor. I then realised I had set this up prior to putting upscaling in place. I played the album by selecting it, so that upscaling was used - normal service was resumed.

I would love to try upscaling Qobuz - I cannot do this at the moment, but believe I can via Roon. Should be interesting.

An additional are for experimentation is Convolution …but my NUC is not powerful enough, but I am arranging to borrow one.

As an aside:
MANY HiDef remastered albums on Qobuz suffer from loudness with reduced dynamics. An example is ‘Tango in the Night 2017 Remaster’ at 9624. If you then try the same album at 192/24 you get a much better rendering.

Yes you can upscale any source in Roon. You can set each original frequency to upscale to a specific rate or use power of 2 so all upscale all the max pcm for each variant or a DSD rate. What’s your current NUC upscalinto 88.1 or 96 should not be too taxing but adding convolution might depending on the number of taps used. My 7i7 pc which is not a nuc but similar spec manages it with cpu headroom to spare.

1 Like

Hi @CrystalGipsy ,

I am currently using Minimserver on my Synology NAS. I have just had my Audiostore Prestige serviced and have set up Roon. As it is an i3 I do not think it will have the muscle for full DSP, but I will probably give it a go.

A friend has just bought an i5 NUC which he is using while he waits for his MU1 to be delivered. When the new box arrives I will grab his i5 and do a comparison.

I have run full dsp on my i3 nuc no issues. If you only using one zone it should be able to cope. You can parrelize sigma delta processing to spread it across two cores to gain a little. You just have to watch out for processing speed in the Roon signal path, anything lower than 1.5 is in the danger area of being to heavy.

1 Like

So this weekend I shut down my Roon core and cancelled my sub.

I still find Roon an excellent piece of software, but for my usage it does not merit the extra costs involved.

Been using the Naim app with Tidal connect for a few weeks now I don’t really miss Roon all that much.