P8 or P10

Just heard from my dealer that the P8 is delayed but I may get it next week, though Rega cannot guarantee it. Getting impatient!!!:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Hi Bart, the other day I took the outer plinth off my RP10. Before I did this, I just centered the outer plinth on my top Fraim shelf. However now that the outer plinth is removed, I noticed that the three feet are not centered on the glass shelf, so I am wondering what to do with it? Do I turn it on an angle to try and get the back foot in the middle? Just wondering what you do with placement on the shelf, or if it even matters, anyone?

The feet on my P10 fit on the Fraim glass! Plenty of clearance.

Sorry for the dust.

1 Like

Shouldn’t matter … but does it now sound any better without the outer plinth?

I wouldn’t have thought so, because it shouldn’t affect the plinth.

1 Like

My P10, which of course comes w/o an outer plinth, is “straight” on the glass with the rear foot pretty much in the center (left to right) of the glass.

1 Like

Mine is pretty central too which means it is some couple of inches from the front of the glass. I did wonder about that as I recall a forum topic from the classics period suggesting that to align the facias with the front edge of the glass gave the best sound…cant remember who drove that topic…some years ago…

I have not had time to do much listening yet, sorry but I can not answer that yet.

No idea,

I’ve always used mine with the plinth,… on the basis that’s how it was designed. If fitted correctly, it isn’t actually in contact with the turntable itself.

I guess it’s Ike sitting a ‘big box’ cover over the top… which doesn’t touch the turntable underneath etc.

If I’m correct, Richard Dane uses the plinth and lid fitted too … and if it’s good enough for him … :grinning::grinning::smiley::smiley:

1 Like

Picking up my P8/Apheta 3 from Audiobarn tomorrow. :clap::clap::clap: Last play of my P6 tonight then it will be packed away for trade-in.

1 Like

You’ll love it. Got my P8 Apheta3 Aria2 in March, best turntable I’ve ever had, rediscovering my vinyl. It replaced an elderly LP12 Akito 1 Dynavector 10x5.

1 Like

My new P8 has now taken the place of my trusty P6. All set up and spinning my first vinyl (Ethiopian Knights - Donald Byrd). Wonderful sounds straight off. Lucky I have nothing else to do this afternoon other than putting the Apheta 3 through its paces :+1::grin::+1::grin::+1:

15 Likes

I find the Apheta 3 tracks best at 2.0…

Thanks pslosarc, yes I have just found that. Dialling up to 2g eliminates igt completely and is sounding wonderful

…I found that it sounds best at 1.9g…but I’ll try 2.0g again since reading this.

I understand the each cartridge may be slightly different due to manufacturing tolerances so you may get slightly different results. I have also found that the VTF indicator on my p8 is about 0.2g out cw my cheepo digital gauge. I will investigate further this week. I have set up using the gauge. On my P6 it was smack on. Anyway, sounds great and I am doing some early Sunday morning headphone listening.

…I use a cheap digital device too. I do have lots of difficulty getting a static balance at zero g anyway, due to the residual anti-skating when set at its minimum. I get the static balance as good as I can and set VTF by the digital scales. I use 100 Ohms / 1000pF settings on the Aura, as suggested by Rega. I will try 2g again though, certainly no harm in further experimenting.
I’m going for some Cowboy Junkies this morning happy listening. It seems that Rega are right on top of their game with user friendly and great sounding products

1 Like

…Oops, when I say zero g, I do not, of course, mean when I am spacewalking.

1 Like

So much of the vinyl I am buying at the moment skips, must have sent back half a ton to Amazon (Best of Sade 3 times). Thinking of tying a brick to the RB3000 as the only way to solve the problem… :frowning:

I have had no skipping, but poor center holes, surface noises, undulations … In particular with “vinyl resurgence” reissues. It seems consistency was best with 80ies/90ies major label releases even if they were not 180g etc., just the way you distributed music

Something must be badly wrong…I have no problems with tracking.