Pairing Naim Uniti Atom with speakers in an awkward room

Hi vertenna,
I’ve just added some pics to a reply to GavinB. Hopefully that will make it clearer. And “low volume” for me is loud enough to enjoy, but quiet enough not to disturb the neighbours through a stone wall.
Cheers,
Sorabji

Thanks Andy,
That was the second option, but the sofa you see in the picture isn’t the main listening position – plus I’d have to run speaker cables up/down and half way around the room to do that.
Thanks anyway,
Sorabji

I thought that might be an issue… :wink:

Actually, if you sit on the window end of the new sofa, I think you’d probably be pretty close to an equilateral triangle anyway. And it would probably work for the window sofa too.

If it helps, I’m generally nowhere near a ‘primary listening position’. It doesn’t stop me enjoying whatever’s playing!

Edit - think of it as ‘listening axis’ on the room diagonal, not necessarily perpendicular to any wall. Setting up on a diagonal is a recognised technique, albeit not one you see or hear about very often.

Nice room, and I can see the challenge! The pics certainly make it much clearer.
Given your new proposed listening position, I think I’d try to have both speakers on the shelving unit. The right hand one would be on the right-hand open end of the unit. The left one would have to go at the same level on the bookshelf below the TV. The shelf for the TV unit might need raising a bit to give room to fit the height of the speaker onto the shelf. I think the compromises here might be less than having such a difference in the distance from the the two speakers to the listening position.

Thanks Andy,
That makes a lot of sense, and I’m hoping that arrangement will work for the 2nd sofa too, as you suggest.
Cheers,
Sorabji

Hi Gavin,
As there’s currently a piano in the eventual listening position, I couldn’t get right into the corner to take the shot and so the distance is a little distorted. The actual distance to both speakers is 10ft and 12ft respectively, so I’m not sure if that is enough to make an unacceptable difference? Unfortunately the shelving is built into the wall and not that easy to play with, otherwise that might have been an option (given speakers that are happy to sit on a shelf, of course!). But I also have a feeling that might possibly degrade the sound quality reaching the dining area by a greater margin, though I could be wrong?
Thanks for your input.
Sorabji

Ah, that makes more sense. Your suggestion does sound okay with those distances. I guess you’ll find out soon enough!

Thanks Gavin, I guess so :sweat: All I need to do now is pick the right 3 speakers to test?!

I wonder how something omnidirectional like the Shahinisn Starter or compasses might go. Something low like the Neat Iota alpha or explorer might also work

1 Like

I was thinking Shahinian too - but had never come across the Starter. Interesting thought, but can’t find a price anywhere.

Blockquote Neat Iota alpha or explorer might also work

or Ministra. I don’t think anyone suggested the ProAc Tablette either yet.
Still trying to get my head around positioning around these bookshelves. I didn’t expect the room to be almost T-shaped. You have a lot of tinkering ahead of you :slight_smile:

Nice, interesting room, if not ideal for setting up speakers. However, just a few thoughts/options:

1. Purchase the Atom, then run it for a bit with the Tannoys (assuming you have two) and experiment a bit with positioning, including mounted horizontally if necessary below the TV.
  2. As mentioned - Neat Iota Alphas in a darkish wood finish. One located where the plant is, the other where the Tannoy is. They key thing however is to provide both with enough space cable to reposition them equidistant in front of your shelves when listening, then return them when not in use. You could apply the same logic to a range of speakers that might fit those ‘storage’ locations.
  3. Using the same strategy, but this time with the baby Magnapans (LRS?) the key issue here is whether the Atom has enough oomph to drive them properly.
  4. A good quality on-wall or designed for wall location speaker such as the Sonus Faber Sonetto Wall or Linn Majik 109, located where mentioned already (fixed higher obviously) but angled in a triangle towards the opposite corner from the TV. Part of both Sofas would then be in the sweet spot, assuming I have understood where a second sofa will go?

Thanks AlexP,
I like your idea of repositioning the speakers when listening. Although not as practical a solution, it would at least allow me to get optimal sound for those longer listening sessions. I’m hearing good things about the Neat Iota Alpha’s, especially combined with the Uniti Atom. But there’s one other problem I didn’t mention, I have 4 curious cats in the house, and they’d soon be picking their curious claws into those nice exposed drivers, just the right height. Anyway, maybe I can find away around that. What I don’t get is ‘why’ the design of the alpha’s would suit my space better than a traditional speaker? Is it that they disperse the sound in a different way? Otherwise, presumably I could move the KEF R3’s out into the room when in ‘listening mode’ in the same manner?
I do appreciate your thoughts.
Sorabji

Hi pbode,
Thank you. The ministra looks okay, but needs a lot of juice apparently, and I’m pretty stuck on the Atom. The proac tab sigs do appeal, but judging by what others have said, I should probably go with speakers for larger rooms, though avoiding large floorstanders. The explorer is over budget. The iota alphas will definitely be on my shortlist.
Cheers,
Sorabji

Thanks Gavin,
I’ve heard of the Shahinian’s, but not too much info or prices out there. Can’t tell if they’re in business or not. Are these type of wide dispersion speakers designed specifically for awkward spaces? Or do they just deliver a different sound characteristic?
Cheers,
Sorabji

No problems. I mentioned the Iota Alphas largely because they have mentioned before, Neat have a known synergy with Naim and they are compact, relatively unobtrusive (if quirky) looking speakers that could be easy to move if necessary. However, within your budget there are many options/alternatives, including other Neats. Ideally you should look for something that is not fussy about placement especially as what is behind one speaker may be considerably different from what is behind another. With this in mind, I personally would:

1. Avoid rear ported speakers if possible, as trying to get the speakers to perform the same with different ‘backdrops’ might be difficult.
  2. look for something reasonably sensitive, though, ignoring your dinning area, the main seating area you have is not too large.

The R3s are standmount speakers - clearly you also need to budget for speakers stands to match.
Just a few more options to consider that may or may not fit the bill:

1. Sonus Faber Sonetto I or II. Stand mounts, made in Italy with a lovely standard of finish. They are ported at the base so room boundaries may be less of an issue. Pricing is a bit higher but there are currently some ex-demo pairs for sale - not sure if I am allowed to mention where?
  2. Rega Rx3 or RX5 - both supposed to be quite ‘lively/musical’ and not placement fussy - made in the UK.
  3. Piega - T Mircro 60 - slim columns with AMT tweeters. Made in Switzerland. Front ported I think. I have a pair of TS3 bookshelf speakers and they have an accurate, clear sound. Build quality is very good.
  4. Linn Majik range - 109 or 140. The 109 in particular as front ported (behind tweeter). Made in Scotland.
  5. Speakers from ProAc - check the specs but I understand they are relatively easy to drive compared with some. If you can stretch to it, the DT8 is supposed to be very good, if rather large compared with all the others apart from the Linn 140. I think ProAc with Naim is quite well known.
  6. Focal - there seem to be deals if bought in conjunction with Naim - both owned by the same company.
  7. A curve ball, but relatively inexpensive compared with the others and compact + different (gloss) finishes available if you contact the manufacturer directly, but the Edwards Audio Apprentice speaker. I heard them with a Rega Saturn CD and Elex-R amp at Deco audio a few years back and I was really impressed but such a small floor standing speaker. Front ported, made in the UK and less than half the price of most of the others mentioned. They are designed to be undemanding of amplification apparently.

Just a few (more) ideas.

If we’re going for curve balls, how about a bit of BBC bias? Graham Audio LS3/5?

Shahinian are an American company and they’re distributed in the UK by Pear Audio. I’ve had Compasses in the past and love them. I suspect the Starters are a smaller version. You might well find Compasses second-hand but I’ve never seen the Starters. You can probably read about the omnidirectional idea on the Shahinian site but I think it’s exactly as the name suggests - the sound goes in many directions not just the traditional forward of the speaker plane. I think they look lovely too!

1 Like

Thanks Gavin,
I appreciate your feedback. Shahinian is definitely one to investigate.
Cheers,
Sorabji

Sorry, Larc was the model I was trying to remember - smaller than the Compasses - and might look less invasive where your current speaker and plant pot are! http://www.pearaudio.com/shahinianacoustics.html