Pet hate with album downloads

Thanks

Thanks. Thatā€™s definitely given me something to think about and aspire to. Was also pleased to see Ted and Culture in there. Been playing Ted this week and also rediscovering Black Uhuru.

So, I already have Reggae, Folk, Country, Classical, Blues, African, Cuban, Jazz and Soundtrack, Soul, Bluegrass, Acoustic, Calypso, Comedy, Dance, Electronic, Funk, Salsa, Psych, Spoken Word, Poetry, Psych, Pop and Rock.

Iā€™ve no need for ECM and World is far too broad for me. I can undersysbd the breakdown of Classical and have enough to justify doing something similar. Although Innuos have a pop/rock in there I have found it useful to add multiple genres (within fairly struct limits) so some stuff has Pop and Rock as two genres (basically where people would argue about it) whilst some is clearly just Pop. Think I also have Trip Hop, Rap etc.

As has been said itā€™s all about what you need.

Very interesting. Thanks @anon4489532.

I do that for classical as well.

Back in 2003-4 when I started ripping CDs for my iPod, the display only showed about 15 characters. I had to come up with a way to identify the music within that limitation. My solution for classical was a drill down - genre/composer-principal artist as artist/name of work. Of course this strange format meant that every classical album had to be manually tagged. But it reflected the way I searched for music. I still use it. (Hate multiple composer albums, though.)

I too have about 16 genres. Because most of my collection is classical, I have several classical music choices, e.g. vocal, early music.

I havenā€™t had too much trouble with downloads with one major exception. I bought the download version of a large box of classical guitar music released by Brilliant. Nowhere can I find the names of the performers. But it was cheap, and I liked the music, so Iā€™m not fretting too much.

I have 2 Asset ā€œserversā€ classical and non classical the non classical was set to to the fairly common ney default artist album etc metadata which seems to be well covered by the record companies - fully intend to adjust the genre bit to mirror the kind suggestion of @anon4489532 from earlier in this thread.

The classical server has always been a bone of contention for me pretty much every publisher / bloke on the keyboard has a non standard random metadata naming schedule for classical music.

I sometimes suffer from paralysis by analysis in tagging, this and I find both the Naim and Linn apps donā€™t help finding what I want by their reversion to the non classical ā€˜standardā€™ means and awful lot of ā€˜clicksā€™ to get where I want to be in choosing something to listen too.

Maybe a genre based search would be a better approach to music selection.

Basically can you publish your classical genres

Classical, Opera, Classical Vocal (mostly religious music, e.g. Bach cantatas, with lieder and some miscellaneous choral), Early Music (pre-Baroque), and Classical Guitar and Lute.

Albums with two or three composers or that have music that fits within more than one category are broken down into ā€œmini-albumsā€ according to the composite-artist. I can ā€œreassembleā€ them via drill down if the mini-albums have the same name. For albums with four or more composers (most often the big box sets) the Artist is ā€œAssortedā€ (e.g. Assorted Richter or Assorted Decca). Mega-boxes are not treated as a single album. Their names would begin with e.g. ā€œDecca 10.ā€ I am not always consistent about these rules.

I use JRiver to tag, and I use the LMS music server. With its plug-ins I can access all of my music sources (local and streaming) and stream them to every device I own. My remote is iPeng.

I cannot overstate the fact that this was designed for me - the way I select music. That should be everyoneā€™s first consideration when they design a tagging system.

Thank you.
I appreciate the time you have taken to explain your system and itā€™s caveats, it gives me a place to start and develop my own.

Oddly I was going to post a query about these downloads when you purchase vinyl - I have several download cards but have never tried them - I was wondering if any labels/artists did offer lossless downloads. I assumed theyā€™d all be MP3 which is why I havenā€™t really bothered.

Yes I do so agree with this. The notion that there is a universal tagging system suitable for all music and all users has to be for the birds.

On the issue of multiple works on an album, I use Minimserver and if, say, I had a CD with a symphony by A, a concerto by B and an overture by C, I apply a group tag to the symphony tracks with the title of the symphony, and similarly for the concerto. When I open the album in the Naim app, I see the three works. Clicking on either the symphony or the concerto opens the tracks of that work and either the whole thing or a selection of tracks can be played. It works extremely well and is the main reason I still prefer Minim to Asset.

Roger

It is just pot luck. Iā€™ve had 160kbps mp3 and 24/96 FLAC and most things in between

1 Like

It almost deserves a thread listing what quality you might expect with the download, or at least selectively maybe those offering CD quality and above.

How useful would that be though? I wouldnā€™t decide not to buy a record just because the download card was for mp3 files. The download is a bonus and if I get mp3 then it just goes on to the memory stick for use in the car, lossless go on to the NAS so that if Iā€™m too lazy to get the vinyl out and/or flip sides I can just stream it

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.