Phoenix net

I bought a genuine Cisco SFP.

So the adopt simply connects from the spare out from the PN to the Adot?

Appreciate your input

Thanks
Gary

Hi Gary - Good about the genuine SFP. Do you see the LED light up for the appropriate SFP port you are using on the Cisco to show that port is enabled and active ?

Effectively, you’re just putting the ADOT in line between the Cisco and PN. Without the ADOT, you’d have just had (copper) Ethernet in from your router to the Cisco and then another (copper) Ethernet connection out from the Cisco to the PN.

With the ADOT in line, you still have the Ethernet connection to your router via the Cisco. You then run fibre from the Cisco to the ADOT and then Ethernet (copper) from the ADOT to the PN.

As you’re not seeing the Zenith then it sounds like you are not getting connectivity across the fibre link. Just to check, plug the PN straight back into the Cisco again and once the port comes up, you should see the Zenith again and be able to play music.

Edit - just for info, this is the switch setting I was using with the ADOT / Cisco combination.

1 Like

Hmmm I don’t have a light to the right of the port which I would suspect indicates not working - that’s frustrating….

Yes, that would explain why that link is not working. Worth trying another SFP port on th Cisco. If the switch has been fully reset, then they should just come up without any need to enable that port.

1 Like

Obviously try the other SFP port just in case that one isn’t working. You should see a green light flickering away. I guess it’s also possible that the problem is at the other end. Are you sure you have the right SFPs at both ends?

Thanks gents, I tried both ports and no lights to demonstrate it’s working.

I have the double mc kit so simply unplugged one and attached the orange wire into the genuine Cisco SFP and into the Cisco 2960 ergo the Adot SFP was unchanged on the now single Adot

Maybe it’s the SFP, it was a £5 eBay job….

Just got my old kit back out of the cupboard, just to check. With the SFP plugged in, no light until the fibre and ADOT is powered and connected. I do remember a setting on the ADOT dip switches which can stop it working with the Cisco so make sure they are all down.

Just the 2960 and ADOT connected.

DIP switch settings

I would have never thought to move those little switches on the Adot….

Thanks for advice, much appreciated, now I can evaluate what the Adot brings to the party with the Phoenix net

Gary

2 Likes

Good news Gary. Yes, the ADOT modules come supplied with 3 and 4 set to on (for use with the Melco S100 switch). This forces the fibre link to 100Mb/s which the 2960 doesn’t like.

1 Like

Appreciated you help James, thank you.
Gary

1 Like

A little bit of playing around and have concluded in my system:

1. the EE8 switch added nothing in the chain with the Phoenix net - if anything sounded worse
  2. the Adot (single box) into Cisco 2960 added nothing to Phoenix net
  3. the cisco 2960 the jury was out maybe marginally better so will keep in the chain - I wouldn’t go seeking one out but given its low cost will keep.

The real winner is the Phoenix net albeit I wouldn’t hesitate recommending the EE8, Adot and Plixir power supply if one didn’t want to spend the considerable cost of the Phoenix net.

Thanks for all those that have chipped in with advice.

7 Likes

It’s good to try these things Gary to see what works best for you.

The PhoenixNET is rather good and as much as I’ve tried with other configurations, it remains as the final switch in the chain for getting the best out of my Naim and now Linn, streamers.

3 Likes

I’ve been on the fence with the PN for a while, starting to see them second hand. I may have to give it a try. I’ve been happy with Cisco POE solution which netted a nice improvement over a solo cisco. Since I don’t have a Naim dealer it may be a while before I move to the NC so the PN may be a nice interim step.

2 Likes

Got mine secondhand and it’s great value, easily the best switch i have tried, it’s not even close.
But even secondhand they take a while to really come on line, mine certainly did, but run everything through it, even if you have a melco, stop using the player port, as it sounds better not using it, unlike before where it sounded better using the player port.

1 Like

I am puzzled. I came across a dealer in France who is reselling Innuos and who expressed a negative judgement on PN. Both he and customers of his were unhappy with a PN trial. He knows his way around, not the person not to be able to set up things correctly. He is non Naim dealer. I draw the temporary conclusion from reading the thread that PN is environment sensitive and that it works well with a full Naim stack.

As said it does look like these take some time to burn in from new, i believe it’s down to the Mundorf caps inside the power supply. Even mine being secondhand xdemo, took a few weeks.
So maybe they didn’t give it time? Or maybe they just didn’t like it? But for me it was an easy yes, and i dont have anything naim, so it’s not just naim it inpoves

2 Likes

Maybe he wants to sell other expensive switches which give him a better margin. I see it often in France, many dealers do it.
I know about 7 dealers in Paris area, and I don’t really trust them. They always tend to maximise the quality of the products they want to sell and denigrate the other brands. It’s my experience here.

5 Likes

Have you or anyone else ever done business with a dealer who recommends anything that they DON’T sell? I haven’t!

1 Like

This may be part of it. Another reason is that the PhoenixNet uses an OCXO oscillator which takes about three days to settle after turning it on. Good to keep this in mind when evaluating it.

Hans

1 Like

Well if my dealer does not have a particular product, they often will get one in for demo……even if it goes against their better judgement. Mine got me the Phoenixnet in even though they thought the Melco switch was a great product.

2 Likes