Phono amp

I have a stageline phono amp and to say I ain’t impressed is an understatement it’s not a patch on the project tube amp I use to own,the volume is low unlike the project what do people think of the stageline

What cartridge are you using? And if MC, what version of the Stageline (E, S or K)?

I ran a Stageline N with a Goldring 1042 and liked it. It isn’t as good as my current stage, but on paper there’s almost a 3x price difference.

1 Like

I’m using a 2m blue mm it sounded great with the project but not as good on the stageline

1 Like

Definitely been discussed before, e.g.

But in a nutshell, and from what I understand, choosing a cartridge that matches the 470pF input impedance carefully is key to the Stageline N’s ability to perform well. Moving iron, or high output moving coils are less affected than traditional moving magnet cartridges, though I’m not suggesting you change cartridge!

Is your phono cable the original that came with your deck? Just checking that it isn’t further disproportionately adding to impedance seen by the cartridge.

I can’t recall if the 2M cartridges play well with the Stageline N, but there are certainly a few happy owners out there based on a cursory read of the threads above.

Why did you change your valve phono stage?

4 Likes

My turntable is a project x2 and it came with the silver cartridge but the body can be used with a 2n red or blue anything more than them I have to change the whole cartridge.
I changed to a stageline from the project coz I wanted a full naim system which I hadn’t now

1 Like

I’m not sure that the Ortofon 2Ms are the best match with the Stageline N. IIRC the Pro-Ject is designed around the Ortofons, so a good match should be a given.
Members here have reported good results with the Stageline partnered with the AT 540ML and 740ML, and also the high output MC Dynavector 10X5 so if you decide to keep the Stageline, they’re an option to consider.

7 Likes

Stageline N with Dynavector 10x5 HO sounds like feet asleep.

1 Like

Mine Stageline N sounds more than fine with Rega Carbon mm (Audio Technica 3600) :grinning:

1 Like

I haven’t heard it, just going on what others on here have reported. Admittedly it may well be better with the Stageline E.

2 Likes

I use 523 E boards in my 82 with a DV 10X. I did this is mainly to improve the volume match vs CD - which is much improved.

However I used N boards (322 & 522) for many years with 10X’s without noticing anything lacking… :thinking:

YMMV, as always…

1 Like

The Stageline N is optimally suited to a fairly limited number of cartridges that match its rather high (600-700pF, including arm cable) input capacitance.

3 Likes

It’s a great phonostage and I don’t think much can compete at the price level but… it’s not versatile or adjustable.

Relies entirely on a synergistic relationshipt with the catridge and a lesser extent to the deck. There is certainly a few with a personal preference for the StageLine Ortofon 2M pairing but most experienced dealers would steer you to a AudioTechnica, Dynavector, or as of a few years ago, some of the higher end Sumiko MM carts.

I pair mine off a Sumiko Moonstone and a Technica deck and it’s certainly crisp and punchy like my NDX.

But for sure, you might just not like it. Don’t feel bad if you’d rather change the phonostage than you cartridge.

3 Likes

I have a Stageline N via HCDR powered SN1 partnered with a Goldring 1042. It is a solid combination and delivers equal and sometimes better performance than my digital source. ND5XS fronted with a Chord Qutest. Like others have said, it may just be a poor match.

2 Likes

I’ve run my N successfully with Goldring 1042 as well as the London Decca Maroon which I bought it for. At the moment I’m feeding it with an Ortofon SPU Century via a silver wound 1:26 SUT from Sculpture A and it’s beating my supercapped superline for that particular cartridge, I didn’t expect that, particularly given my past experience with silver and Naim and not withstanding the Stageline N’s quoted input capacitance.

2 Likes

That’s a great leap both in sound quality - imho - from the Superline and would be my preferred choice with the SPU. The small capacitance - 470pf - of the Stageline would have little to no effect when using a SUT. How would you rank the Sculpture A silver against other SUTs you may have owned/heard please?

1 Like

I’ve never owned a SUT, this one is on loan from Ana Mighty Sound and is my first experience of one in my own system.
I bought the superline a year after they came out to replace a Michell Iso and used it with a Dynavector 17D2 and 3, then a Transfiguration Proteus, SPU Royal N and SPU Century. The Stageline came about five years ago to run a mono London Decca on a second deck. The 1042 is recent along with a Denon 103, both bought out of curiosity and both have considerable merits but probably won’t see much use again.

1 Like