Phono Pre Amp

Another to add to the listening list. Gold Note PH10 is working well here with the 252/ 300DR. mm and mc inputs plus can be upgraded with a separate power supply.

1 Like

If I had a bigger system, the Thrax Orpheus would be on my list.

Bruss it is now on my ever expanding list, thank you one and all. I spoke to a dealer today who stocks both Hegel and Gold Note who rated them both but thought the Hegel V10 had the edge but was slightly less adaptable. Confusion reigns!

I’ve been using a Trichord Dino for most of the past 6 or 7 years a nice discrete box and can be powered by a standard PSU, Dino + or the NCPSU.

It’s excellent value in standard form and also responds very well to the PSU upgrades.

4 Likes

As BTB above has said don’t forget the Trichord dino or diablo. Great mm and mc stages, that can be adjusted for gain, loading and capacitance. And upgradable with some nice matching power supplies. I’d have to be spending a whole load more on a cartridge and TT before thinking of upgrading mine.

1 Like

Probably not of interest, and maybe board and transistors hard to source today, so more offered out if pureinterest, but I made the Elektor preamp in the attached article back in 1978: It worked very well and enabled use of a mc cartridge, sounding better than the mm I was limited to using before it, and it did me happily until I changed my amp for a better pre+power, which had an mc stage built in.

Could anyone else “smell” this article?
Its a pdf… I shouldn’t be able to smell pdfs.

1 Like

Another vote here for the Trichord Dino mk. III (with the Dino+ PSU), which I use in the living room system. Also recommend the Vertere Phono-1 which I’m now using in the home office system.

1 Like

Que?

Old electronic mags subliminally bring back memories, smell being one of them.
Other older members to did home electronics may agree.

1 Like

Ha! My preamp built from Elektor (German version) in 1988:

2 Likes

As @n-lot said, it was me who first mentioned the Ampearl LCR phono (RE-2030) in this micro universe. :innocent:

I´ve wrote about the Ampearl also in Lenco Heaven some time ago (in english)

2 Likes

Naim prefix is another possibility - successfully used with my 52 powering it for a few years

1 Like

A gentle reminder to forum members - please respect and abide by Naim’s forum rules. thanks.

My apologies, @Richard.Dane, as I hadn’t realised my link was a banned category - and indeed looking through the rules now I am puzzled as to what rule it breaks: The link was to a pdf file on an electronics history website which to the best of my awareness is not a commercial site, while the pdf itself is an image of an electronice magazine published over 30 years ago, so adverts in the magazine are also historic and don’t relate to anything commercial today.

IB, I have messaged you - it appeared to be an electronics DIY article.

Hi Rob,

What cartridge do you have or plan to use? The cart. and the phono stage need to be simpatico for best results.

Joe

Hi Hana ML sorry for the delay

A Superline has become available, how would it compare to s more modern pre such as the Hegel v20 etc?

I can only compare to the Aria I had before (with P10 and Apheta-3), and the Superline (powered from 252) was much better, simply more coherent music IMHO, took me 10 seconds to decide to keep it. And it’s much quieter than the Aria on MC. (It also costs 2.5 times as much when new plus a PS if necessary, so it better be better). A bargain if you get a good price used (a few months ago I paid 1.6K ex-dem from 2009, compared to 1.3K new for Aria), have the power sorted and don’t feel the need to play with loading all the time

1 Like