Phonosophie P3 turntable

still very happy with the P3 I got hold of 20+ years ago! :grinning:

1 Like

If you emailed Andy and didn’t get a reply I will give him a nudge the next time I see him, if you would like.

Thank you, that’s kind. I’d love to have more details of the Phonosophie P3, but it’s by way of ‘window shopping’, as I’ve just bought a new plinth for my LP12, and really couldn’t justify starting afresh.

I’d love to hear one up against an LP12, though.

It looks just like a Thorens TD 350?

If they are apparently available to buy new, there’s nothing to hold you back!

I use Andy - he’s excellent, very helpful. He’s proud of JV’s old P3 which does sound very nice indeed!

1 Like

Hi Graham

I have both and can give you a detailed view if you would like

Regards

1 Like

Hi, Devrai, I’d love to hear your thoughts/comparisons on the Linn and Phonosophie TTs. The fact that you have one of each suggests that they at least complement each other. I’ve never actually seen a Phonosophie TT, so it has something of a ‘unicorn’ status for me.

Will you post here, or should I give an email address (if that is permitted by Forum rules)? A post here would be great, as I’m sure that there are many LP12 owners who would value an insight.

Graham, please don’t post an email address here on a publicly viewable forum. I’m sure Dev’s more than happy to post here.

1 Like

A bit of googling shows this although I can’t find the original article that it appears to be from.

There’s also this review (in German). Hopefully it’s OK for me to link?

Thanks, Richard.

I doubt it sounds any better than a well sorted LP12

My friend said my Thorens TD-350 was heavily based on the Phonosophie P3.
Now that I see the picture lol they certainly look very similar. lol.

How can you possibly know that without listening to it?

Hi Graham, by listening to lots of decks with various combinations of cart, arm, phono cable, phonostage all professing to be better than the LP12. All I said was I doubt it’s any better particularily with my LP12:
Etna SL, Ekos SE, Stiletto plinth, Skorpion Base, Keel, Radikal, West Titan Phonostage, Furutech silver arrows tonearm cable. (and all the LINN upgrades so far - just waiting on the new motor and radikal II)

ATB Pete

Hi Graham,
I just wanted to share our listening impressions of LP12 Va P3. Sound wise that they’re both very evenly matched in overall quality and that but there are significant differences between the two presentation wise. The P3 has an incredible sense of rhythm and pace it also is somewhat like the Aro vs Ekos sound comparison as the P3 really does focus on the mid range as opposed to the frequency extremes in comparison to the LP12. However the LP12 is very powerful and dynamic sounding (especially with the Kore and Ekos).
The P3 has a softer and more delicate style of presentation just like the Aro and NAT01 tuner, unforced and natural with full dynamic range and great musicality. The LP12 is more upfront and vivid with an awesome bass. Both have a prefix and Naim power supplies. The P3 has an Aro the Linn has an Ekos.
If you like a dynamic yet natural balance the P3 is for you, if you want out and out punch the LP12 is better.
We like them both!
Best wishes Devraj

8 Likes

I notice you skipped out of the digital phonostage.

Whest Buffer?

Thank you so much, Devraj, that’s very interesting.

My LP12 is pretty well fully tricked out, and I am waiting for my new dealer to fit a new Solid Sounds Wenge plinth and Dynavector Te Kaitora Rua (replacing an outgoing Dynavector XX2 MkII).

So, I’m too heavily invested in the LP12 to change now, and I certainly don’t have the space or a spare system to press the Phonosophie into service.

Perhaps if I had made some different choices some years ago…

1 Like

Urika II