Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of The Moon, 50th Anniversary Box Set

I really want to hate DSOTM but I can’t as it is such a fine album! I have been streaming rips of the discs from my ‘Immersion’ box set this evening. It seems a much more inviting and interesting collection than the 50th anniversary box set.

3 Likes

My wife and I like DSOTM. Some weekend nights after a few cocktails it really is a fun album to listen to, especially on a system that can make it really boogey.

1 Like

I’m not sure about the mix but certainly the mastering will often differ between CD/digital file and the LP.

1 Like

My wife and I just had a listen to Brain Damage (2023) 24-192 via Qobuz streamed to the ND555.

The quality of the vocals seems quite changed / “improved.” For example, on the first verse, I can really hear qualities to Roger’s voice that I never heard (or just never noticed??) before.

It’s especially pronounced on the “more” of “. . . the paperboy brings more.” It sounds more like Roger than I’d noticed before.

I suppose I should go back and listen to earlier versions now and see if this change is real. But we’re usually pretty good about picking up these nuances. She in particular has a very good ear; better than mine.

1 Like

That’s the one I’m going for. I already have three other versions of the studio release, including the SACD surround sound one.

1 Like

Is this a preview of the box set?

It’s just the one track . . . a preview of the remastered 50th anniv. version. There will be other things in the box set beyond the remaster.

Of course they will issue the ‘new’ DSOTM in due course.

You just need to leave the record company to squeeze as much dosh as they can from people who rush in to buy the 23 disc (or whatever) ‘special’ editions that they can squirt out first.

1 Like

So it sounds like the remaster will be available on streaming services and not just to those who pay £250 for the box set which is nice

1 Like

So after weeks of cogitating and generally wondering as a Pink Floyd fan, should I press ‘buy’ on the pre-order button for the 50th anniversary box set of DSOTM, or should I take note of what many have said, that it is just another re-hash of the same old thing, and yet another money spinner, etc, etc, and of course it is very expensive, well! I have just watched an ‘unboxing’ by a a guy from ‘Tasty records’ in that there Manchester (one week before the official release) and I’m so pleased to say that i did press ‘buy’ a couple of months ago. The contents, and the quality of the contents look dirst rate and extremely collectible. Check the guy out on YouTube I think you’ll be impressed! He does also explain how and why he is able to unbox the collection so far ahead of time, can’t wait for Friday now!!

Thanks for the reminder. I’d completely forgotten that the Live at Wembley remaster is also released on Friday. I’ve just looked to see that the price I’ll be charged has dropped to £16!

2 Likes

Result!!

But my copy is down to £10.99! :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

Vinyl?! If so, could you tell me the winning euro lottery winning numbers for this week’s draw, please?

1 Like

Ah, my bad. I’m getting the CD. OTOH it has been despatched, according to Amazon.

Edit: and duly arrived today! First impressions are favourable, but I need to compare it against my “experience edition”

1 Like

Its release day … boxset madness aside, if you’re looking for just a HD download,
Highresaudio have FLAC 192/24 @ £17.30
HDTracks 192/24 = $29.49 (aprx £24.00)
Qobuz £22.59 (£11.29 with Sublime)

1 Like

I bought the DL – 2023 remaster. After a few plays I think it is very nice sounding. I think I have heard things I haven’t before and the sound is nice and clear and seems to be a bit more spread out and 3 dimensional than I remember from the original LP, the 90s version, the immersion set, the 2011 master, the Dave Gilmour’s Dog’s Birthday remaster, the Roger Waters Had a Happy Day extremely rare special master and the Nick Mason is the Only One Doing Anything Sensible With the Saucerful of Secrets Band master. They really know how to make money out of the same material don’t they?

4 Likes

PS this 2023 master is nothing like as radical as the 2018 Animals master

Animals 2018 was a remix, I think :thinking:

Hence the radical…

3 Likes

Phew! Took the plunge an pressed ‘pre-order’ having heard many discussion points regarding here and elsewhere regarding the cost and the contents of this box set, i have to say that now, having received the box and gone through it I am delighted with it. Anyone else had doubts but changed their minds having received it?