Pizza Ovens

I have also done this using a pizza stone. The pizzas were good. But the Ooni is better.

Same here. Oven as high as it will go, and a pizza screen/mesh definitely helps. No need for additional equipment IME.

Love mine. Only had it set up for a few weeks as I’d put off building a new deck and workspace. All done now and I’m enjoying the pizza !

9 Likes

Looks good. Does your oven vent flame out the back when you open the door and is there anything flammable near there?

No - all flames internal and the oven is well insulated so outside of it doesn’t get hot (except for the doors which have insulated handles)

Cool. My friends have the pellet model which does that somewhat alarmingly.

Naim forum discussing pizza ovens …? Sry I’m in the wrong room.

That’s why it’s called the lounge I guess.

1 Like

Think I’ll start a Naim thread on the Ooni forum

7 Likes

There are also threads on watches, cars, motorbikes, bicycles, beer, wine, cooking, cricket, football, films, TV shows, jokes, puzzles, books, and more! It shows the human side of hifi fanatics!

Does the gas Ooni give the same flavour as the oak pellets? I saw mention of the gas model used indoors. Is this safe?

I might oopgrade!

G

1 Like

I was on an ooni group on Facebook for some time (I muted it a while again when I thought I might not get round to getting one) and someone quoted someone who made pizza For a living could tell the difference but mere mortals could not. Wouldn’t ever try it indoors though (except maybe in garage with big door wide open )

2 Likes

I had the original Ooni when it was called Uuni. It was the wood pellet burning version and once used it in a barn one summer during a party, it smoked quite badly and it was a lot of work. Converted it to gas and it was a superior cooking experience, my family couldn’t tell the difference I taste either.

I now use an Ooni Pro which cooks 16” pizza using wood. A bit of charcoal and kindling to start then some hard wood. I love it, still small enough to pack away into storage when not in use.

1 Like

That’s helpful, thanks.

G

1 Like

I think there may be a marginal difference in taste - but whether real or not is another matter - whether I could detect in blind comparisons (needing the impossible - identical pizza construction cooked at identical temperature (which it won’t be as the temperature gradient in the oven will be different), and identical amount of time at identical angles of turning) I don’t know. Pizza cooking has this in common with many hifi tweaks!!

Indoors with gas we use so the door is beneath the cooker hood, with the extraction turned on. Given the warnings not to use indoors, decided to buy a carbon monoxide monitor and positioned that nearby. Not a twitch. We use it with the cylinder indoors, with a 2m hose between. I always check connections with a soap solution (a drip of washing up liquid in a few mls of water, brushed over connections, watching for bubbles) before opening the valve on the Uuni gas unit…

Temperature is far more controllable, and can be used at similar high temp, or rather lower. No less fun, though less ‘authentic’.

2 Likes

Thanks.

G

These are the things that make life worth living. Not that different from an extremely expensive, uniquely personal audio listening setup that has drawn most of us here, no?

1 Like

If you have speakers (as opposed to only listening through headphones), hifi is not inherently personal, but there to be shared and enjoyed by all…. Of course that is only if we have friends or family who are interested in listening to music and share our musical tastes!

Just started on the gas option. Doesn’t go as hot as the wood options so ends up burning the cheese.
But, still completely awesome.
Now seeing the science behind the dough.
On a day dough using 7gm of yeast the ball is too strong to want to stretch out as much as I would prefer.
For a 2 or more day prove using only 2gm of yeast gives the dough strength but more give for the stretch I want.

7 Likes

Hi TJ
The yeast won’t affect the stretching of the dough, the gluten in the flour dictates that. The gluten is activated by kneading (working). To ensure a good stretch work the dough until it absolutely smooth when balled (no wrinkles or texture, about 10mins). Also you need at least 62% hydration, that means 62% of flour weight should be water (1kg flour = 620g of water). Depending on the protein content of the flour it could take up to 65% water. A good flour would have approx 12/13% protein but you could also get away with 11%.
Now how much yeast will depend on what temperature your water is, what temperature you want to prove for and how long you want to prove the dough.

Sorry if you know all this.

2 Likes