Pizza Ovens

Ooni Koda 16 owner here since a couple of years back. Love it. I normally use Oonis app for the dough. Also be careful on the flour when you are to launch the pizza. With a stone at 400c the flour easily burn and you get a yellowish bottom with a not that great taste.

Some friends and relatives from Italy today, so was under super pressure to get the pizza right.
Turned out super.

(They got the leopard side)

8 Likes

We cooked two longhorn 8oz ribeye steaks on the Ooni grizzler using the wood fired option.
The steaks we had were well trimmed from fat and cut from the best end, so didn’t need the extra time to render.
After only 2/3 minutes = steak heaven.
Sorry no pictures, as they didn’t hang around too long.

5 Likes

Great tip from IB ref semolina on the peel, thanks!
I had read about this but not tried it until this week - worked really well and such an easy adjustment.

Have been considering purchasing a pizza oven and this thread has been really helpful.
I mentioned it to my brother who strongly advised against it on the basis that is was a “quick route to hyper obesity “!

Given my love of pizza and lack of self control maybe I will follow his advice!

1 Like

Any uncontrolled eating (or drinking) is a route to obesity, not just pizzas!

Hah, it’s fast food - but in a different context.

2 Likes

I know. It’s the calorie density of pizza and the wonderful taste that is my problem!

However unlike one in the freezer from a supermarket, or ordered from a take-away, having a pizza oven doesn’t allow near instant readiness - you have to prepare the dough some hours in advance, and prepare the tomato sauce and whatever other toppings. (And afterwards when the oven has cooled down you have to empty the ash and if a Uuni wire brush the grille.) The trick if worried about over-eating is to prepare just the right amount of dough per person, whether that’s one dough ball or two (or…).

2 Likes

Bought av Ooni Fyra a year ago. Have used it quite a few times.
This is a biga fermented dough. Around 48hours.

A tip on any dough. Do not use luke warm water. The cooler the dough is, normally the better. But the rise time will be longer. The more time your dough will rest, the better the result/taste will be.
If you make a sweet dough (cinnamon rolls etc) start with cold water. When you knead the dough, the friction in the mashine/ or your hands will make the dough hotter. Whatever you do, do not heat the dough above 27C when you knead it.

You will find a lot of info on this subject on the net.

3 Likes

I’ve been using shop bought bases with my Ooni since I got it, there’s some really good ones available here and they’ve been great for the initial learning curve stage and getting used to everything. You can put a few pizzas together really quickly with no faffing. I realise making your own dough is all part of the fun so that’s my next challenge but the convenience of ready made bases is great, if you can find good ones, and it means you can be fairly spontaneous if you get the sudden urge for a cold beer n pizza!

1 Like

I agree making your own dough is part of the theatre and journey of making pizza.
However, it can be a frustrating process if the dough doesnt prove well, you end up battling with it and when you have guests waiting its no fun.
Im still perservering making my own, but
premade bases are great for a stress free day.
Making your own…vinyl
Premade…streaming.

Indeed it is - and have fun with it! The trouble with prefab bases, at least the ones I’ve seen, is they tend to be rather thick (compared to typical Uuni Napoli style). That of course doesn’t preclude using if you like, but be prepared for differences!

Nah, the ones I get are really thin crispy bases, hand made by a small local company

We don’t have a pizza oven but we do make our own pizzas. We make the dough in a breadmaker and leave it to prove for about 2 hours in the main oven which has a bread proving setting. It makes enough dough for about six of us. Works a treat every time.

1 Like

I just got myself a bread baking machine for dough kneading. Awesome update for rather small amount of money. Recommended.

Ooni sell frozen dough that works really well. Just take it out of the freezer the night before and leave in the fridge or 2 hours before and leave it out on the worktop.

My better half had some vegan friends over. I made pizzas for them. Biga, 50 hours fermentation. Easy and delicious.

2 Likes

Starter of garlic bread…

Then the classic…

5 Likes

:yum: :yum: :+1: