Placebo effect of systems and alterations

A couple of years ago we were beta testing new firmware for the legacy streamers. Naim had two potential release candidates but no clear preference. So they asked us to try both and give our feedback. I tried one on my 272 for a day, then switched to the other. On initial hearing I thought it sounded a bit different, but not unequivocally better. So after another day I switched back to the first. Again I initially thought it sounded a bit different but by the end of the day I had decided I couldn’t tell the difference. So I fessed up on the beta group that I couldn’t tell the difference, feeling a bit useless.

Meanwhile the NDS and NDX owners were finding real differences between the two firmware versions, which made me feel even more useless.

Later that day Naim explained that, just for the 272, both versions were actually the same! So it wasn’t me at all. What it showed very clearly is that there was an expectation on my part that they would sound different, because I’d been told they were different, and because it was beta testing I was desperately trying to hear it and therefore initially thought I could. Only after a couple of days testing was I able to conclude there wasn’t a difference.

This is why I don’t believe in quick A/B tests. You need a good while, particularly with these more subtle changes.

I really think it helps to take a non-scientific approach and just listen for the feel and emotion of the music. I’ve probably got a more scientific background than most, and my PhD involved endless repeat trials and seemingly never ending statistical analysis to get the confidence levels as high as possible. But to me that’s separate to enjoying music. If I relied on science I wouldn’t have improved my stereo with better cabling or racking. I’ve got a mains block which significantly improves things but I’ve got no idea why it does so. So do I reject it because I ‘know’ it can’t work? Do I get someone to blindfold me and swap cables and make me decide what’s best until I’m so confused I don’t even know what day it is? Do I rely on scientific method?

No, I just listen, and if it involves me more and sounds more like real music - we have a piano so a regular reminder - then that’s the one for me. I’ve had people round to listen and sometimes they say, ooh, it’s got better bass, mid and treble. To me that’s meaningless. Focusing on the music rather than the sound will (hopefully) let you work out what works for you. Works for me anyway.

9 Likes

Spoken like a real Flat Earther! That’s what Flat Earthers do, they listen to the music and base there decision on the toe tapping potential!

That was a nice discussion Frank participated in on the Pink Fisch forum back in 2005. I will see if I can find it. Who knows, some may want to give it a read: What is the difference between Flat Earthers and Round Earthers? I think!

Which explains why it is pronounced “Bark”.

2 Likes

As opposed to berk, pronounced birk or burk, meaning fool…

1 Like

Biddler66:

"I had the reverse of this recently. I am far from knowledgeable (in fact I would go so far as to say a berk) on HiFi but do have music on in the house all day and I know what I like. "

Context is :key:!

Innocent bystander is correct. However, I was just explaining the etymology.

1 Like

And I was, as usual, being entirely serious.

2 Likes

If you try something and think it is worth the money then that’s fine.

My antipathy is towards salesman persuading customers something is better because it costs more. Often without any form of demonstration. Watchdog’s investigation of selling HDMI cables in a well known electrical goods store was an example.

The two hifi dealers I have used have never tried to persuade me about any item, but allowed me to listen. I felt a Naim fraim was an excellent piece of kit, but prefer non-audiophile cables especially in the digital arena. I really can’t hear a difference between AudioQuest & Chord Music digital cables and Blue Jeans Cables and as BJC measure better, are very well made and cost a lot less that’s my choice. That doesn’t mean anybody making a different choice is wrong, but I do think sales folk should not proclaim the expensive ones are better.

HiFi Comic subjective reviews are as bad. I can only assume with one reviewer when he first listened to a recording half of it was missing as he hears more and more detail with every new cable he tries.

So I’m all for people deciding for themselves, but sometimes I feel folk are pressured in to buying something they don’t need - not simply with hifi and not particularly folk on forums. I’m sure I’ve been gullible many many times.

1 Like

When you get a new piece of kit, anything, it becomes the norm. You get used to it after a couple of weeks. So if something better comes along, and generally it does, you like it and have the funds, you will probably go for it.
On the other hand, I have been to demos at both h-fi shows and dealers and the difference minimal or non existent to me, whilst the guy doing the demo goes on about vast improvements.
Why does the “better” item cost more money?
Can the placebo effect be related to your mental state? Tired, not in the mood, just had an argument etc.
Forget the sound. Listen to the music. Not always easy.
Douglas.

5 Likes

Well gentleman, not only am I reading the lines and between the lines, but I’m reading beyond the lines. With that being said, I’m a little confused with the zeros and ones! And until I understand them a bit better, I’m just going to listen to the Music. But here’s where my lack of understanding has delayed my digital streaming journey:

Flat Earth System (FES) ~ Family Room (FR) Round Earth System (RES) ~ Living Room (LR)

LR: CDX2>282>HCDR>3 x 250.2>Briks.

FR: Primare Pre 30>Arcam P1 mono Blocks>
Vienna Acoustic Baby Grands.

MM > Airport Extreme > Airport express>282
MM > Airport Extreme > Airport express>Pre 30

For some reason, I felt the Emotiva Dac 1 might be a better Dac than the one incorporated within Apple’s $100 Airport Express.

So I ran:

Wireless digital signal from Airport Extreme to Airport Express>Emotiva’s Dac>Audioquest King Cobra XLR>Primare Pre 30.

It might be placebo affect, but it out performs the Airport Express directly into the 282.

Ok, getting long winded!

Next question: would Cat 6/7 directly into the Emotiva Dac further improve the performance in the FR?

PS. Of Course, the grand performance resides with the Briks, but that is CDX2 wired with standard Naim IC and Old out dated Linn K-20!

Thanks In Advance! Taking nap! I’m tired of navigating my tunes from Cheap Android phone whilst lying in Bed!

Technology sure has changed since the eighties!

:small_blue_diamond:Exactly…:+1:t2:.

:small_blue_diamond:Exactly…:+1:.

:small_blue_diamond:Exactly…:+1:t2:.

:small_blue_diamond:Exactly…:+1:.

A good example of placebo.
If you wash and clean your car,.well then you think it goes better and quieter when you are done,.it is anyway so for me.

:black_small_square:When listening to music,.you use all your senses,…not just your hearing.

:black_small_square:It is very important to be consistent,.and think about all the details when testing,.here many makes mistakes when testing.

:black_small_square:If you have long experience and know-how,.placebo is not a problem when testing products.

:black_small_square:A knowledgeable and experienced trader,.can demonstrate exactly the differences he wants,.pay attention to it if you visit an unknown trader.
There are many tricks to get the results you want to show.

Therefore,.it is important to have a good relationship with their traders.
There is a special thread about this on the forum.

/Peder🙂

That is true. I’ve made a few howlers in my time, particularly with speakers. I remember only too well the Neat Motive 1 that I bought without hearing and they has so much bass it was ridiculous. Then there were the Spendor A5 that I tried at home thinking they were run in, but they weren’t and once run in boomed like there was no tomorrow. But I stick to my view that with a proper audition over an extended period it should be possible to make the right decision by sticking to the music.

Are there many dealers that give extensive home demos? The three dealers within a 2hr drive near me, have all said the same when I have asked about home demos that they couldn’t be without the product for longer that a week as they need it for in store demos.

If something doesn’t sound better enough to convince you in a week, is it worth buying? Or if ‘downgrading’, if the cheaper/smaller thing doesn’t put you off in a week, is there any point hanging on to the more expensive/bigger?

1 Like

All the new speakers I’ve owned have only improved with ‘running in’. I would have thought the main factor is ensuring they sound good with the source and amplification they’re to be used with, in the room they’re intended for rather than that of the seller?

Placebo as a term is perhaps the wrong one that everyone is running with here.
A placebo is a medical term that describes the use within a controlled experiment.

If I was to buy an expensive bottle of water that has been labelled as containing water drawn from some obscure remote mountain. Only to later find out that it was really filtered tap water. That is a case of deception regardless of whether I could tell any difference.
Yes, some hifi products have been held to account by law in the claims marketed. Although most rely on brand and product trust.

I have re-tapped the odd solder joint here & there (mainly loudspeaker cables connections/terminations and what not) and stone me - “that’s it, this is what I’ve been looking for this whole time!”

Placebo…“A beneficial effect produced by a placebo drug or treatment, which cannot be attributed to the properties of the placebo itself, and must therefore be due to the patient’s belief in that treatment.”

“orthodox doctors dismiss the positive results as a result of the placebo effect”

Taken straight from the dictionary.

Leaving aside A/B comparisons because you will hear a difference, how about real blind tests? If you change an item of equipment or cable and are convinced that you hear an improvement, wouldn’t it be great if after a week or so, somebody could undo the change without your knowledge, would you truly know?

Placebo is all about being convinced that something is doing you good or in these HiFi instances, an improvement.

The true test of an improvement must surely be the ability to notice its absence when removed?

Indeed. But what has that got to do with listening to a hifi ? :face_with_monocle: :smiley::smiley:
If I have made a change and noticed an improvement, that has nothing to do with a placebo.
A placebo refers to another agent affecting my knowledge and experience under controlled conditions.
The only controlled condition here is with my choice and my experience. There is no other agent working deception.