Plagiarisms you spotted

Come across a track that sounds awfully familiar to another one you know? Similar melody or bass line perhaps, or overall composition? Post them here!

I’ll start, i was listening to some internet radio and this track played:

Which immediately reminded me of:

Hotel California vs Angie?

1 Like

Like A Hurricane (which I adore) - the chorus is Ruby Tuesday (which is also a favourite).

1 Like

I’m just going to say Led Zeppelin. Can’t be bothered to elaborate on how many songs were muddy waters etc. For LZ I and II they were the greatest cover band in the world haha!

1 Like

I remember the first time I ever heard “Comfortably Numb” by the Floyd – it was in November 1979, and Tommy Vance gave over the whole of his Friday Night Rock Show to Roger Waters talking about The Wall, the release of which was imminent.

I wasn’t overly impressed with this new album, and “Comfy” had not yet become the canonical piece it is today. All I could think was – “bloody rip-off! That solo sounds just like Neil’s on ‘Like A Hurricane’!”. Well I was only 17 at the time…

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - The Trip to Pirate’s Cove
and Peter Green - Slabo Day
Agree with the Led Zep comment.

When I first played it to my wife she couldn’t even tell that it was a cover of the Scissor Sisters track. Unbelievable.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - The Trip to Pirate’s Cove
and Peter Green - Slabo Day
Agree with the Led Zep comment.

Oops, is that double plagiarism!

1 Like

I was listening to something the other day that I thought sounded remarkably like Bowie’s version of China Girl (but earlier). The bass line I mean.

Now, if only I could remember what it was.

Don’t stop at LZ II. LZ III included a revamp of Leadbelly’s Gallis Pole. At least on the untitled fourth album I believe Memphis Minnie was credited for having written When the Levee Breaks, but even Nobody’s Fault but Mine on Presence was an old Blind Willie Johnson song.

I think some, if not all, of these injustices have now been resolved. I cannot recall how the Stairway dispute was resolved with Randy California, but the descending chord progression is also the same as that of Michelle by the Beatles.

1 Like

Ahh yes, apologies. I’ll fix that now!

1 Like

Great find! :pray:

1 Like

I remembered

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Black Night White Light (1984)

China Girl (1983 thanks chief) has a very similar bass line and groove

Oh!

Well there you go

Thanks, I’ll keep that little factoid stashed away, never know when it might turn up in a pub quiz!

1 Like

The opening of both The Pointer Sisters, “ I’ll take you there” and Harry J All Stars, “ Liquidator” .

Not exactly new, but I did spot it by myself :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.