PMC Fact 8 vs Kudos S20

I missed the white one’s then. But Hoisty’s (or a similar name) walnut one’s are in both places — the fishy one and the place with fees. In the former, it’s 3K I think. On eBay Fact 8 (walnut) sold for about 2.5K not too long ago.

1 Like

I have just checked PFM. The ones there are walnut and the veneer looks very attractive indeed. They’re on page 8, first advertised last Thursday. I’d buy them myself if I didn’t already have some. Prices are generally negotiable!

2 Likes

Thank you, very happy with Naim gear and pmc match. Sure, here are some pics. Again, wonderful sound, even at low levels with my set up, may be different for all. 11.5 feet is the distance between speakers and the same to my listening position.

Right speaker

Left speaker in corner

Scott

2 Likes

Why are the speakers wearing clothes? Are they sensitive to the cold?

2 Likes

Dogs wearing jackets, now speakers, whatever next. :rofl:

@334578, many thanks — much appreciated!

Basically Sound have a pair of Fact 8 in natural oak for sale if thats of any help. No connection to the sale , just a very good dealer.

2 Likes

Ha, not here in hot Georgia USA. I put a mark or dent I should say in the veneer of a set of speakers once, simply while cleaning the house, couple that with a cat, and those soft front grills and the temptation to get those paws on them.

I had custom covers made for them for $150. No need to worry about the robot vacuum, cat, or me doing something stupid. Most likely my last set of speakers for a while, I purchased them brand new and they will look that way for many years with the clothes on.

Scott

1 Like

As you upgrade, speakers inevitably get bigger and have more bass extension, so I suspect the bass boom issue might be caused by your room acoustics. If so, any larger floorstanders will cause this, not just the S20s, and you may need to look at the room for a solution.
You might even get better results with a quality pair of stand mounted speakers (possibly assisted by a sub or two).

Agreed, if you can stretch to a PMC 25.26 (secondhand £4K) the extra midrange speaker does wonders for voice clarity and the base response :slightly_smiling_face:. I’m looking to upgrade to the PMC Fact 12 next year, ease of placement being a big bonus. Same issues, my Naim dealer doesn’t stock them!

1 Like

The bass boom wasn’t too bad with the S20 compared to the issues with the top end. It was definitely related to the porting though as it’s floor level boundary, so feeding the rear wall and corner. I’m going to try some PMC to see how the front porting works. If that’s a no go, ill look to standmounts for the answer, but they would be a last resort.

I actually didn’t like some of the other PMC’s like the Twenty5.24.
It is that dedicated mid driver that makes them wonderful.

1 Like

Thanks Popeye, I’m not sure that’s what I wanted to hear :rofl:. I still think the HF and LF adjustment on the Facts it better for my situation. If the Fact 8’s go well I will keep the 12’s in mind for the future.

3 Likes

Think you really need to demo - ideally at your own place, but as a minimum at your dealer’s.

I had the PMC 20.23 for many years and really liked them. When I thought about an upgrade last year, I naturally tried the various PMCs, including the new 25.26, fact 8 etc. I actually preferred the slightly slower and warmer sound of the 25.26.

After demoing a range of other speakers in the price range, I ended up with the Kudos 606. I did try the Kudos s20, and thought they sounded very special, but also very different to the PMCs, so very difficult to say which is better. Hence i would suggest a demo.

A pair of Fact 8’s will be arriving for home trials on Friday.
I know the 25.26 will have a different sound, but they will most likley be too much on the bottom end for me. If the Fact’s pass muster and dont make my ears bleed, they will be staying.
Thank you everyone for your inputs, they have been most useful.

6 Likes

Very wise choice Ian👍🏼 Let us know how get on please. Tom Barron ( PMCs delightful rep) has a pair of 8s at home if that has a bearing. Enjoy Peter

1 Like

Thank you, Peter. I know PMC have a few fans around here and I know if they work, they will cope with a few upgrades to the rest of my kit.
I’ll be sure to update everyone once i’ve had a few days with them.
KR
Iain

3 Likes

I’ve been reading thread, but as I don’t know the other speakers kept quiet. But I have Fact.8 since just after they came out, and currently on end of 250DR like your demo ones will be. I’m very happy with them. Whilst I have tried tweaking the rear HF and LF adjustment I have them both set to neutral at the moment. I did for a while have one side with lowered treble due to reflections from furniture, but adjusted the room and put the speaker back to neutral. This is one of the good things about the Facts. Mine did take a long time to run in, so hopefully demo pair have a good few hours on them. Good luck!

1 Like

I can’t comment on the comparison to Kudos, but I’ve been using the fact.8’s in a small room for several years and found them a great combination of aesthetics and sound quality.

I went with the tiger ebony finish, which still looks as good as new and is easy to keep clean with the provided cloth.

10 Likes

They’d look so much better wearing a dog coat.

2 Likes