Poll - New firmware: sound upgrade or downgrade?

I did put “not improved” in poll because I updated my QB2 when I got it early this year. The update vs stock made not any noticible improvement I think. But I did not listen a lot just after unboxing. THIS update might have made real/noticable improvement on Android/bluetooth or Google assistent / Google home streaming. If I stream i.e. Youtube to my QB2, maybe it is reasonable the lower noise floor makes an improvement with these type of protocols.

1 Like

Can you explain that differently please… it’s hard to follow what you mean? Most YouTube uses lossy compressive codecs. Bluetooth is lossy… potentially two lots of transcoding lossyness… perhaps I mis understand but what are trying to improve ? SQ, or reducing system artefacts by using lossy audio?

Blimey!!!

1 Like

After three rounds of tweaking the settings, I have to say these latest DB settings are outstanding.

Before the firmware update, I wasn’t satisfied with any individual adjustments, so I kept all settings turned on. But post-update, it’s a different story. The improvements are anything but subtle.

The soundstage is much more defined, with clearer separation between instruments and added weight to each. The overall presentation is more engaging, with noticeably improved timing—definitely more toe-tapping! I’d also say the timbre, especially in the high frequencies, has changed for the better. There’s no harshness or glare, just a smooth, rounded sound that has a tube-like warmth in the best way.

Really appreciating this new sound experience!

3 Likes

I believe that Firmware update is done automatically on ND555. Version 3.10.0.

I changed to Puritan 156 2 days ago so not prepared to comment as that needs to burn in.

But it does seem that some of those who are affected in a negative way are customers like me with ND555 and 2 x 555PSDR.

I will give it a few more days and see how it sounds.

5 Likes

I don’t know why they don’t add a graphic equaliser. Dcs have that facility so you can adjust the tone controls slightly.

2 Likes

I suspect it may be because the issues do not rest solely in the amplitude domain.

2 Likes

Further to this when I listened to @Dunc 's dCS Vivaldi set up he had all these different settings. It looked complicated but meant he could vary the tone controls according to the recording that we were listening to. He will correct me if I am wrong of course.

1 Like

Baloney