POLL - Which is the 'best' rock decade?

I voted 70s because although it started in the 60s, and certainly the musicians were developing then, I think it peaked in the 70s. But really it was mid 60s to mid 70s.

Re Beatles, yes they started as a pop band, but were more rock in latter years, and fundamental to some of the psychedelic/progressive developments of the late 60s.

1 Like

If I hadn’t already voted for the 70s, your post would have persuaded me to switch to the 60s.

I agree with IB. As I mentioned in a previous post, mid 60s to the mid 70s is the era for me.

I had voted 70s. But I’ve just noticed the number of votes exceeds the number if voters, so you can vote for more than one. I have just added 60s, so now voting 60s+70s.

Done!

1 Like

Same here, had me wondering ! Except i can only vote once, conspiracies abound !

Also, i don’t like the outcome, i demand another vote :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

@Innocent_Bystander. Well Mr Bystander, innocent or otherwise, if you’re going to debate when “Rock” started I might suggest Robert Leroy Johnson and that was the 30s. And going back further the first roll on (blues) bass parts have been traced by at least one musicologist back to Chopin.

Fascinating stuff!

I think you can change your vote… maybe that’s why there are more voters than votes?

The problem is, and I agree, the greatest decade for rock is probably not set to an orderly start on '0 and end on '9 but if the vote was any 10 year period starting any year it would have made the poll a bit complicated :slight_smile:

Mine was adding to my first vote: selecting 60s, didn’t delete the 70s.

1 Like

Great list.
No one ever mentions Spirit. Good on yer, mate …

Dave

Well yes, Pop and unusual music while on acid. Not really my thing. But all the Beatles were excellent musicians, writers, and showmen. I have the greatest respect for them.
I really enjoy their Help album, and Abbey Road album. Sort of, first and last, I guess.

Dave

The next decade. Who knows how music will surprise and entertain us? I am up for finding out.

And ‘rock’ is what exactly now? Genres are pleasingly mixed up and harder to define all the time.

Bring on the new music, whilst we savour the old, but maybe not entirely with the rose tinted spectacles of nostalgia. Some of the stuff in my collection from the 70’s for example is pretty wince inducing now and classic albums endure from every era.

Bruce

1 Like

Okay… I think I did the poll wrong :frowning: My first attempt and it looks like I allowed up to 6 selections. I’m not sure if that means I can vote for 70s 6 times :wink:

1 Like

I was allowed to choose more than one, so went for ‘60s and ‘70s as I felt they were equal, if I could have voted for ‘65 to ‘75 I would have only voted once.

I agree!

I feel there is definitely an age bias going on here. The 70s produced some brilliant stuff, and I have a soft spot for rock from that era. However, many of the bands listed aren’t rock bands imo.
The 90s was one of the best for me with the emergence of the Seattle scene and grunge rock. Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Screaming Trees. Both Foo Fighters and Queens of the Stone Age were spawned out of that scene. Two of the biggest rock bands ever.

I wasn’t!

However, there is a difference between tracing musical roots and style development, and it gelling into distinctive style - and of course it evolves as soon as it does, and parallel/offshoots also arise, there being no hard boundaries, one persons bluesy rock being another’s blues, etc.

Well it’s only two days but, tbh, the result was always a done deal. I agree there’s a blurring with the 60’s, or at least the later years of the 60’s, but it was always going to be the 70’s: The list of great rock bands from that era is huge… I doubt there will ever be another decade like it.

I did vote for the 60s simply because the “great” bands emanated or have their roots in that era, although admittedly they were commercially much more successful in the early/mid 70’s.

@anon4216120 check you own list.

Pink Floyd - formed in 65

Yes- formed 68

Genesis- formed 67

Bowie - debut album 67

Jethro Tull - formed 67

Led Zep- formed 68

Sabbath- formed 68

The Who - formed 64

Rush - formed 74 (although several guises back to 1968)

ELP- formed 1970 ( associated acts The Nice, King Crimson back mid- late 60’s)

Bruce Springsteen - debut album 73

4 Likes