Poor re-master or just late 60's recording! SQ not good at all!

:laughing: :laughing:

That’s another one of my bugbears … when you buy second hand albums online which are deemed ‘mint’ EX+ which most certainly are not. Crackle, crackle, click, squuurr etc. And they’re not cheap!

No idea… but it’s not been ‘remastered’ and won’t be ‘digital’!

I think it’s worth a punt unless it’s £££. I’m sure you’ll let us know!

or this one which i think is a german issue…

I think I am becoming obsessed! :thinking:

You did, and I’m sure there are. Is this something you could link to?

Ah! I had a copy of this in the early 70’s. It sounded very clear then on my 401, but sounded even better after using the cover for rolling a cigarette. Not advocating you start smoking of course. I agree with Richard, those old magnetic tapes, if left on the reel for a long time, they get damp, deteriorate, print through, grow mould, stretch, assorts!

I think you are becoming obsessed…

I’m sure you’re looking at Discogs too; I agree the latter is German, I think 1973; discogs says ‘reissue’. If the first is 1971, it’s ‘repress’.

Personally, all else being equal, and it’s not my money, I’d lean towards the 1971 UK release. And I’m no expert…

1 Like

CSN first album. I did warn you, but if you want to go down the Steve Hoffman rabbit hole, try a Google search for Hoffman Crosby, Stills & Nash LP reissue on Rhino just released. It refers to the 2009 release, I think. I haven’t read the thread but I’m sure it will keep you occupied for a while.

To add to all this just checked discogs too. My LP is the European release R1 8229, 8122-79866-8 not the Atlantic Rhino version R1 8229 so perhaps this is the one you are looking for :nerd_face: The Rhino Atlantic is a US pressing not European so this might be the problem.

You have me intrigued I’ve just ordered this to compare :upside_down_face: :laughing:

“ There is no single ‘original’ - this album has been cut so many times your head could explode” :wink:

All the more fun - fingers crossed :metal:

Step away from the ‘buy now’ button…

:exploding_head:

I was having a look at the thread and apparently the one to get is from the early 1970s cut by George Piros and pressed at Monarch! This is typical of the Hoffman forum and then you find that the cheapest on Discogs is $150! Unfortunately it does seem that for US releases the US pressing is often better but not easy to obtain in the UK.

I do notice on the Hoffman thread that there is some debate about the top end on the Rhino reissue and a view that its perceived SQ is system dependent. It’s also worth pointing out that late 60s/early 70s mastering might sound dullish to ears used to priorities from the 80s and 90s.

Interestingly there was some discussion on the other remasters thread about the Van Morrison Rhino remasters from 2008/9 and Richard said that the EU issues were the same as the US ones.

Pressed from the same Kevin Gray cut metalwork, but different pressing plant; RTI in the US against Optimal in Europe. Vinyl formulation is often slightly different and AFAIK Optimal polish whereas RTI don’t, which can have an effect on the final sound - not huge but noticeable, otherwise should be of similar sound quality.

I’ll have to check out the local charity shops - you never know what might have been tidied out during lockdown…

Alsdorf - don’t do it, disappointing. I had a mint copy of this one and sold it on.

@Richard.Dane Ok…alert level to devcon 2! :hot_face:

Is this on Discogs?