Potential Business Sound System?

I wouldn’t go as good and as nice as Naim.

Whilst running the risk of being ejected from this forum have you considered Bose?

I use a Bose Lifestyle system in our conservatory fed with a Yamaha streamer ( MusicCast WXAD-10). It’s a difficult space where a normal system would be difficult to place and get right. You have a control unit that can be hidden away along with a subwoofer and tiny ‘jewel’ speakers which are mounted high up out of harms way.

The little jewel speakers disperse the sound far and wide and fill the room really well. Of course it’s not Naim but the sound is clear and unobtrusive and sounds rather better than prejudice would have you to believe! I have it on all day as background music whilst working but it can go loud if required without sounding too nasty. I notice our local Next at Home store uses similar and as far as shop systems goes it’s the most pleasing listen on the high street.

You can see the speakers above the door and window in the picture below, the control unit is hidden underneath one of the sofa’s and the sub is underneath the corner seat. The remote is radio so no issues with range.

The control unit has many inputs and outputs allowing you to connect other sources like the Yamaha and also a phono stage to run your turntable. The outputs could be use to add capacity, you can buy passive versions of the speakers and sub with a power amplifier. There’s loads of it on eBay.

2 Likes

I suppose the important bit is do you want the customers to notice the hifi? “Shall we go to that cafe that plays that great music?” Or “Shall we go to that cafe that has a Naim system?”
Your customers might not notice or care. If it were me, I’d use mu-sos. You can connect a turntable to the socket on the side (you’d need a phono stage or a turntable with one built in).
Your customers could also pick an lp and ask you to play it. You’d be forever replacing the cartridge otherwise!

I have a fairly large apartment in Germany and it completely fills the space easily, when eating in a group its especially unobtrusive and listenable at the same time

If I get my arse into action then hopefully before Christmas next year. I will keep ye informed if it happens. Maybe get Naim over to sponsor something haha Love to get the Fontaines DC tonplay a few tunes since they are still relatively small.

2 Likes

DJ bars/restaurants are not uncommon these days. Ranging from little corner to massive complete with dance floor.
With some nights of the week supporting the local talent.

Another idea for you - sell vinyl. It’s not a new idea, but it might bring you extra custom. Eg look at “pie and vinyl”

If it were my business:

TT: Richard Ds suggestion looks good

Modern system: S/H UnitiLite or Uniti2 as they do almost everything
Or Retro: 42.5 or 62 with 110 or 140 with optional HiCap to match

Speakers: ProAc Tablette 10

Edit: Also an ultrasonic stlus cleaner as your TT will get a lot of use

Brilliant stuff. Thanks for writing all that. I am printing everything when all your contribution ends so I can head out to a cafe and read through it all. We are still not allowed into cafes, or restaurants in New York yet so it will be outdoor reading for me . Thanks

Great question. Here is what I remember from that cafe on the lower east side. Being mesmerised by this beautifully engineered equipment with great sound playing these great tunes right in front of me. Maybe a nice amp and decent turntable front and center would be nice with all the delicate, good stuff out of harms way.

Yes the cartridges could be a problem. Something to think about.

Something to check out. Thanks

Great idea. Never thought about that.

Here’s a little something maybe you would not know but I go to tower records in Dublin every Christmas when i am home. My god, they are doing a roaring trade. It makes me so happy to see it still there after all these years.

Nice. Thanks. All this is being noted. It seems I have lots of fun research ahead of me

Those Technics decks I listed will basically minimise your issues here as they basically go a long way to preventing customers handling the arm and knackering cartridge. Replacement styli are widely available and not expensive either.

Bloody hell. It’s 4am here. Thanks to everyone. Keep the suggestions coming. I’m unemployed now so I need to keep my brain active and on track with this idea of a potential exciting new career change.

Thanks Richard. I definitely will be looking into them. They are astheically kind of retro too.

Don’t worry I won’t be putting my planar 6 out there :slight_smile:

I think a few mu-so Qbs could work well. You could get a couple and add if needs be. I don’t think you can multiroom the analogue input on the original but I believe you can on the new one. So you could have the LPs or streamed music playing in sync across the place. With the plastic framed grille they are really tough. You could set the maximum volume via the app for each to enable quiet areas and louder ones. You could also use a Tidal or Spotify playlist for times when you just want a certain mood.

4 Likes

My thoughts exactly, I’m amazed at how well the Muso’s can fill a space

I imagine if the space is big, it’s better to have several little speakers in each roof corner? A Muso will probably not fill 100m2…

Very nice Martin. Are they a couple of German places? I believe that’s where you mentioned you were from.

I doubt the place will be 100m2 actually I’m almost sure it won’t. Don’t have that kind of money. Just a fun, small place in a relatively small town. Of course, if I saw potential then maybe try it in a city.

To start, it will be most likely, a place that if I lose, I don’t know 10s of thousands of euros, I might cry but I will be happy I tried. Or if friends or new acquaintances just want to hang out and I break even then that would be okay too. Giving a little culture through music and conversation to the town. Or if I got people off their phones for a hour or two then why not :slight_smile: