Pound for pound, Naim’s greatest ever product

I might be changing my mind…

The Nait 1/2 made quality music playback available to everyone who sought it out (others preferred the Sharp vertical tt all in one) and is still a very viable product today (love my CB Nait2) but the UnitiQute offered SO much versatility in such a small package.

Yes, the UnitiQute gets my vote now despite the problems with the fading screen and it has to be V2.

5 Likes

Paid Euro for an unserved Nait 1 without listening to it - outrageously good. Now used on the tv.

Paid Euro 1300 for an NSD1/NDSPS. Should never have sold it. In source, have had more HiFi, but maybe not moe music!

Within the context of the time it was produced, the 72/140 combination was an astonishing achievement. Even today, in my TV system I get surprised

6 Likes

Yes, Bruce, I think that many of us feel that way about the XPS-T. I’d have one in a heartbeat, if I could.

Maybe Naim will take names (and hefty deposits) and do a limited production run. THey’d fly out the factory door in minutes.

Hi Per,
I was not joking actually… But neither was I completely serious. The ‘lavender’ IC is free with some gear, and it’s a great product. It’s a perfectly competent cable so at €0 it’s hard to beat.

If I was to name Naim’s greater ever product £4£, and to satisfy a more reasonable logic, I’d say the SBL.
Best
Max

4 Likes

My Naim IBLs - I had to go find an old photo - luckily my filing is good.

11 Likes

An enigma unresolved

3 Likes

Been using a Nait 3 for the past 25 years, and have always loved it, right up until it put 25v DC on the right channel 3 years back and left me with a £200 repair bill, and a bill for a replacement woofer on the RH speaker. Would’ve done the service myself but just couldn’t source the correct (physical size) caps easily.
So that flagged up that it was time to upgrade. Just bought a Uniti Star, the jury’s still out (with me) as to whether it’s a worthy upgrade, the wife certainly likes the aesthetics of a single box and a very useable App. Downside is I’ve now gotta go down the new speaker route, which is a whole can of worms in itself.
The Uniti Star is a lotta bang for a lotta bucks, my only worry is it’s longevity with so much tech packed into it.
Still loathed to sell the Nait 3 though.

4 Likes

It sounds like you got your Naim 3 about the same time I got mine. My first step on the Naim ladder and one of the most memorable jumps in performance.

3 Likes

I ran a NAIT 3 for a similar amount of time, it brought many many hours of musical enjoyment! I bought it second hand, and eventually traded it in against a XS3. At that rate I think I owe it something :wink:

5 Likes

The CDS3/XPS2.

1 Like

Best VFM= Naimuniti 1 because you get more for your money.
CD, Integrated Amp, FM/DAB/internet radio, uPNP streaming all in one.
Still the champion because you can buy used examples at low price

4 Likes

500 amp
It’s so f***ing cool looking

1 Like

Yes, the Naim 3 which easily became a pre-amp. then add a Flatcap and NAP 90 , all with a built in phono stage .

As a combo, I remember with great affection . To go with them , I had a CD3 and a NAT 03, and still have both. I didn’t want to sell either and in the last two years , both have been taken out of retirement and both are still on song.

Literally - and here’s a pic of the NAT03 - I have dodgy internet -and radio is an important source .

5 Likes

Okay, looks like most of people prefer the products in good old time but not the active ones. What could be the reasons?

Active is expensive and heavy, and more people have experience with passive systems than active?

My fault of expression. I mean looks like most people prefer the old items rather than black boxes.

Oh, I got you. Nostalgia? New boxes are also more expensive in sterling, lbs for lbs, than old ones?

Maybe, that’s a reason as well

I am surprised the humble MuSo is not getting mentioned more. At its price point I think it is head and shoulders above competition and as a stand alone box the sound is fantastic for its cost IMHO.

5 Likes