Power blocks

Great review here and a great explanation as to why you need to filter out mains noise to get the most out of your system (counter to the old-school forum-nites “wisdom”).

What improvements has it made? How are the dynamics?

Bass has more focus and power. Upper register of stringed instruments reproduced faithfully but with less harshness than with my Wireworld Matrix power block (bearing in mind the cost it would have been very disappointing if these improvements had not followed). The ends of vocal lines are heard more clearly, even when they are very quiet. Quiet music, generally, is reproduced very convincingly. Generally, I am hearing more detail in the music. It is very engaging. Naim’s ability to reproduce music with pace and rhythm is furthered by the Vertex equipment. If you can get your hands on the power block to try at home give it a go!

1 Like

I’ve just added an Iso-Tek Sirius power block with great results. I considered a Polaris (similar I think to what you have), but don’t have room to fit in and my system is a step below yours (SN2/NDX2 and PS’s). I’ve found it quite a revelation as to how much a filter lowers the noise floor and puts everything into focus. It’s a bit unfortunate that many on the forum discourage them, as if done well, they really bring big benefits as you obviously know.

Don’t forget to consider the MusicWorks ReFlex Ultra G3 block. It is a belter with Naim kit, and just got better with an updated base plate.

1 Like

Here an interesting Hificritic review of different power conditioners and power blocks( isol 8, vertex, isotek…)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1870/2705/files/Pages_from_Hi_Fi_Critic_12.3_Power_conditioners_by_Julian_Musgrave.pdf?815561356813619306

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this @frenchrooster, it’s a really interesting and informative article and is in line with my conclusions.

1 Like

however, without disagreeing with you, i just noticed that the system had no naim components. But i don’t say it doesn’t work with naim…i just don’t know.
On pink fish media forum, some members appreciate naim with isotek.
No universal rules apparently…

This guy is interesting:

he said « chop the cheddar of it? » it’s what he said ? ( like sucked the life). Apparently not sucking the dynamics as a lot of power conditioners.

1 Like

Yes, he is saying that some power conditioners suck the life out of the music and reduce the dynamics. But then he says, you need a good one, because it will reduce the noise floor without reducing the dynamics and that will give you better sound quality than increasing your amplification.

i understood that. It’s just the expression i am not sure of: chop the cheddar or something like that, in the beginning of the video.

He says “choke the sh#t”, which is a bit French!

results of the hificritic review on power conditioners or powerblocks effectives

Equipment £/1% of improvement
Isotek Aquarius 83 ___________________________________________
Vertex HiRez Taga 92 ___________________________________________
Nordost QB6 100 ___________________________________________
Vertex HiRez Balanced Taga 108 ___________________________________________
Shunyata Venom 180 ___________________________________________
Isol-8 Substation 207
(I shall discuss this further in the Conclusions section.)

Power blocks of various configurations can work very well but i’d still start with dedicated mains. Get this right first and then do the other tweaky things if you need to…

1 Like

i have it already…however for some the results are not often as promised.

1 Like

Hi
Related to power blocks, I have a single dedicated spur only a couple m from the distribution box for my Naim gear and use a 5m 2.5mm three core cable to 4 mains outlets. These then connect to my equipment via 4 power lines.
I am splitting the 4 outlets to 2x2way MK logic outlets which are then combined locally 5m away at the spur socket outlet.
I have:
555PSDR feeding NDS
SN2
HiCapDr feeding SN2
Melco N1ZH music server

Any suggestions what to connect to each pair of mains outlets would be appreciated
Cheers
Steve

you have a near 20k source ( nds/555dr/ melco n1z) fed to the SN. Not common. Perhaps a future upgrade of the electronics ?

@Mike-B, @Darkebear, or other should respond to your question.

Yes, I’m thinking about that. Either SN3 or probably better fit 282 and 250 DR (I have the hicap)
Problem is room to put the second Fraim rack. It won’t realistically fit!
My speakers are Fact 8, interconnects are superlumina as are speaker leads.
Steve

1 Like

you can put the hicap under the rack, on a little wooden shelf. 282/250 will give better justice to your source. I have the same source, however only the n1/2a. My goal is the z model.