Power blocks

Isol-8 is a spin off from IsoTek. It’s Axis technology is excellent at stopping buzzers.

I’m not sure. The entry level Polaris is proving to be really good in my system and I’ve spoken to a 500 series user who is using higher level Iso-tek and rates them very highly, so I think I’ll go with a mid rea he solution. Still cheaper than a single Naim power supply!

Indeed, the Axis stopped the buzzing in our old house. :grinning:

You can purchase the bottom box and top bozx of an olsen pdu and purchase the wiring yourself but the hard thing is knowing how to wire it up properly as they are much harder than wiring a standard iec or wall plug up. I’m planning to upgrade in the future with a much higher quality silver plated or tinned cable with better iec and hq fuse but that’ll be for the winter.

1 Like

I have just bought a Vertex HIREZ TAGA and Rairama power lead. I was sceptical about it but the outlay in the context of the set up (500) was worth the risk. It proved to be a significant improvement over the Wireworld Matrix 2 I was using. I spoke to the chap at Vertex AQ to compliment him on his product. It was a very interesting conversation

1 Like

some pics of it. 3,5 k. looks as serious kit.

Can you take the top off it and show us whats on the inside to see the quakity of it’s internal wiring and construction.

Great review here and a great explanation as to why you need to filter out mains noise to get the most out of your system (counter to the old-school forum-nites “wisdom”).

What improvements has it made? How are the dynamics?

Bass has more focus and power. Upper register of stringed instruments reproduced faithfully but with less harshness than with my Wireworld Matrix power block (bearing in mind the cost it would have been very disappointing if these improvements had not followed). The ends of vocal lines are heard more clearly, even when they are very quiet. Quiet music, generally, is reproduced very convincingly. Generally, I am hearing more detail in the music. It is very engaging. Naim’s ability to reproduce music with pace and rhythm is furthered by the Vertex equipment. If you can get your hands on the power block to try at home give it a go!

1 Like

I’ve just added an Iso-Tek Sirius power block with great results. I considered a Polaris (similar I think to what you have), but don’t have room to fit in and my system is a step below yours (SN2/NDX2 and PS’s). I’ve found it quite a revelation as to how much a filter lowers the noise floor and puts everything into focus. It’s a bit unfortunate that many on the forum discourage them, as if done well, they really bring big benefits as you obviously know.

Don’t forget to consider the MusicWorks ReFlex Ultra G3 block. It is a belter with Naim kit, and just got better with an updated base plate.

1 Like

Here an interesting Hificritic review of different power conditioners and power blocks( isol 8, vertex, isotek…)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1870/2705/files/Pages_from_Hi_Fi_Critic_12.3_Power_conditioners_by_Julian_Musgrave.pdf?815561356813619306

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this @frenchrooster, it’s a really interesting and informative article and is in line with my conclusions.

1 Like

however, without disagreeing with you, i just noticed that the system had no naim components. But i don’t say it doesn’t work with naim…i just don’t know.
On pink fish media forum, some members appreciate naim with isotek.
No universal rules apparently…

This guy is interesting:

he said « chop the cheddar of it? » it’s what he said ? ( like sucked the life). Apparently not sucking the dynamics as a lot of power conditioners.

1 Like

Yes, he is saying that some power conditioners suck the life out of the music and reduce the dynamics. But then he says, you need a good one, because it will reduce the noise floor without reducing the dynamics and that will give you better sound quality than increasing your amplification.

i understood that. It’s just the expression i am not sure of: chop the cheddar or something like that, in the beginning of the video.

He says “choke the sh#t”, which is a bit French!