Power socket question

Good thread. I haven’t read all responses here but I’m currently looking at possible improvement at this area as well, specifically the powering of components. This would include the very basic from the various types of wall outlet(further broken down to UK or US receptacles), power cord and finally power strip / conditioner.

The advice I received from folks who have gone through this is each and every element of these things matter. Outside of Naim, generally power cords with US plugs are recommended, and to reap the full benefits of the cords it is recommended to change the wall outlet/receptacle to US type connections. Despite receiving this advice and recommendation, I am very reluctant to replace the wall outlet (UK) to US type connections although I have few power cords which come in US plugs.

Back to the question of this thread whether a standard kettle lead is sufficient or something exotic is preferred, you can always figure that out yourself since you already have the Naim Powerline. Try swapping the Powerline and kettle lead between the mains to power strip and power strip to component and see (or hear) which configuration will produce better results. Ideally all power cords should be the premium/better types which is the Powerline. :grin:
FWIW I also have the Wireworld Matrix mk2 (UK) and another power strip which comes with US plug connection.

US plugs do not have fuses, so would not comply with UK safety regs. It might be possible to get around this by installing the socket in a radial with a suitably low rated MCB, but you would need to check this with your electrician as there are basic safety reasons why an unfused plug would be dangerous in a typical UK installation.

1 Like

Yes, agreed. All wall outlets will be standard UK for me at this point although I am aware few hardcores have gone through great lengths to improve the sound of their systems. Usually non-Naim owners who own high end systems.

I recommend doing it right and start with Furutech wall outlets. They make UK versions

Has anybody tried a good Furutech terminated cord (UK) that goes between the wall outlet and power strip? How does it compare to the standard Naim cord and Chord Power chord? (I have these cords)

I’m currently looking at the parts below to get one terminated. I’m not sure if it would be a wasted effort (can’t hear any difference).

I once tried a Furutech cord that was ready made. It was a while back & I don’t know what the cable was. The 13A plug looked the same as your photo, the IEC end was all plack.
I was comparing with 2.5mm Supra LoRad but was not convinced enough.

But as you are looking at different parts to get it made up, I use a Furutech 13A plug with a 90 degree cable exit (see pic) as I much prefer to route the cable downwards (unlike the type in your photo) & also the cable exits a small distance further out from the wall than does a ‘normal’ 13A plug which in my install is useful.

Actually there’s a plug that goes 90 degrees but it’s the lowest in the range. The one in the photo which I posted above is the top of the range. The 2nd top of the range also goes straight down instead of 90 degrees.

I’m worried that there will be no difference in sound quality if the plugs (and cable) are inferior.

This is the one that goes 90 degrees out.

I’d be more worried that there was no difference in sound irrespective
I’ve tried & still have a few different plugs, including the pin plating, I really could not detect any difference.

1 Like

I prefer the one with the silver pins. It sounds a touch more silvery.
A better match with the silver plated jaws in my wall sockets.

Erotic cables ?

1 Like

Thanks for the response. That’s where my worry lies. I was informed about noticeable differences with the various configurations of Furutech cords but they were in US plugs instead of UK. Perhaps the type of connection plays a role as well. I’ll be receiving a rather premium cord in US plug very soon and am looking forward to trying it in the system.

1 Like

Was this done ‘blind’ or did you know which tyres were fitted each time. How many laps were done on each to minimise variation in driver/wind/fuel load.

Waaay too many variables here…

2 Likes

Wait a minute. If there’s no difference with the different plugs and platings, how is the standard Naim cord different from the Powerline, assuming the sound quality between the cords is noticeably different?

I wonder how much the fuses in the plug degrade things. I’m also curious why there’s even a fuse at all? Must be some throwback? I’m not aware of any other country that does this. In the US the only thing we have that’s similar in concept are GFI outlets . These have a circuit breaker inside and are used near any source of water or outside.

Fuses are a requirement in UK installations because of the widespread use of multiple outlets on a single (usually ring) circuit. The multi-outlet circuit needs a higher rated breaker, often 16 or 32 amps or more, which would be insufficient to protect against a fault in an individual lead from wall socket to appliance. The fuse in the plug provides this protection, and will usually be rated at between 3 and 13 amps.

The fuse is there, and rated to ( usually) protect the cable.
The whole world of fuses and protection of electrical circuits is a degree on its own. Short circuits, earth faults, interphase faults, instantaneous over current, undercurrent, motor rated fuses, slow blow, fast blow, …the list goes on. I work with a couple of people who really can bore you to death.

2 Likes

I was comparing 13A plugs in that post not the whole cable. I’m sure a few golden ears can find something that is significant (to them) between different plugs, but added value in SQ vs £££ is debatable & different to all.
The combination of all the cable assy parts do make a difference, & I believe the cable can probably have more influence of all the parts. The wire itself, the material, cross section, twist rate, the dielectric & if & how the screen is designed & applied.

Hi @ryder,

I use a furutech plug with thick cable

This currently being used for one of my 135s. I use a Chord purple chord for the other 135. Both are plugged into unswitched MK silver upgraded sockets.

I have a wireworld matrix 2 which is connected to the wall using a Chord purple chord. Powerline lites from the 555PS, Supercap 2, standard leads for Zoneripper and phonostage all connected to the wireworld matrix 2.

Lingo 1 has been serviced and mains upgraded for suitability with Naim equipment carried out by Darren at Class A. Plugged direct to unswitched socket.

I use a 4mm Radial circuit on 16amp MCB with two unswitched sockets.

Sounds wonderful to me. Could it be improved? Possibly. Just enjoying it as it is.

The Chord purple and the Furutech plugged cable are very good and better than standard cables IMHO.

2 Likes

I used to have the Chord purple cord connected between the wall outlet and Wireworld Matrix 2, and standard Naim cords go from the Matrix 2 to the Hicap DR, NAP 250DR and the rest of the components.

I haven’t really switched the power cords around that much but have started to do so lately. I currently have the Chord purple cord connected to a BPT PPC power strip which comes in US plugs. I will switch from the Chord purple cord to the standard Naim cord later today and see if there’s any difference in sound quality between the two cords. Both cords will go between the wall outlet and BPT power strip.

I have switched the cords around yesterday and there was a difference in sound quality. I’m currently using a Luxman amplifier instead of Naim though.

Best result so far;
Standard Naim cord direct from wall outlet to Luxman, Chord purple cord to power strip and Wireworld Elektra 7 from strip to Chord DAC.

Not so good result;
Chord purple cord to power strip, Virtual Dynamics Nite 2 cord to Luxman and Wireworld to Chord.

Poor result;
Same as above except VD and Wireworld cords are swapped between the Luxman and Chord.

I’m actually considering the Furutech cord to replace the Chord purple cord as I’m not sure how good is the Chord purple cord (or how good is the Furutech). That will come another time as my Acrolink Mexcel 7N-PC9700 cord will be arriving next week and I can’t wait to plug it in…

Hello, How are you getting on with the ISOL-8? I’m quite interested in one myself and looks the ticket.