Power Strip

On the subject of plugging order; I have always used star wired strips & blocks and tried many. In my experience it’s a myth that star wired sockets sound the same. They don’t. Not even with equal length wiring (which is rare by itself).

A few weeks on with the Puritan surfaced an interesting aspect/characteristic. As the star wiring is done from a small PCB in the centre, it’s wired as 2 x 4. And indeed, the sockets sound virtually identical ‘in pairs’ from the centre outwards if that makes sense. There still is a sonic difference between 1 and 4 to either side. This provides interesting options for the plugging order.

Very happy with this power strip.

BTW, Puritan can do ‘customs’ as well. Different sockets, inlet, wiring etc.

1 Like

WW replied to my question in this regard « We recommend connecting high-current demand pieces (power amps) closest to the inlet. »

1 Like

Star wire it all and do them all the same lenght, as then they will all be the same and you can plug in any order you like as they are all the same so will sound the same

That makes most sense.

Indeed - and closest is actually on the wall socket - this is what I do.
So wall double-socket has one side for the Power Amp and the other for the WW block, which in turn has Pre then source(s).

Placing Power Amp anywhere on block is worse I found - bass goes boomy and lumpy and not in any way better. Easy to try to determine what you prefer, as perhaps with smaller speakers the bass problem is not as acute - but with large full-range speakers it does not work as well into the blocks I have tried, but perhaps some designs sort that out.

In any and all cases - experiment and decide yourself, as no point doing what is suggested if it sounds worse - IMO of course! :bear:

DB.

2 Likes

Sorry Mike

Electricity is not a science.

There is a pragmatic applied science of electrical engineering.

But there are indeed genuine mysteries about what electricity is and how it works.

Some of these grey areas were touched on in this thread:

5 Likes

Do you have shares in Chord?

Lighten up JimDog, it’s a leg pull towards French Rooster
And BTW, I’m an electrical engineer.

3 Likes

Ehh?

I know you’re an EE, Mike - a true professional.

I am quite interested in electrical engineering, but very interested in the mysteries of electrodynamics and quantum fields.

Ehh?

It’s relative to the tuned and super array conductor geometry
Don’t ask me more, I have no idea on what is it :grin:

Yes, I have it on good authority that the super aray will make every system sound super, but I have no idea what an aray is! :grinning:

1 Like

Love this thread… :joy:

And what about apartment insurance?
They don’t cover such a sockets in a case of fire…
Also Ilan does not approve that’s…

So you need to know how the technology works before you can decide if it sounds good or not? Okay…:smirk:

insurance?
No insurance…i don`t trust them

So DB I have now plugged my 500 into the wall socket and my power strip plugs into the other of the 2 sockets of a dedicated line.
Now I have my pre (5552ps) plugged into my AV Options strip closest to the plug end of the strip and my 555ps into the most most distant of the 9 sockets, with nothing in between ( sockets 1 and 9 with 1 being closest to the plug side of the power strip). My complete system is ndx2/555dr- 552dr-500dr.
I have my Etheregen plugged into a separate socket of a non dedicated line. Would I be better off plugging the Etheregen into the power strip, or leave it on its own socket, even though it’s a non dedicated line. My AV Options strip has 9 sockets only 2 of which are being used- sockets 1 and 9.
I have no other items that need plugging in- just 555drps and 555drps, with 500drps now into its own wall socket.
Would love your advice
David

As always - my advice is really suggestions as to what to try and verify for yourself that happens to work for me.

This is tricky - I did find getting it powered off of the house mains made a notable improvement.
1. I’d try it into your HiFi dedicated circuit into the wall with Power Amps - listen for a day, then
2. try plugging into power strip after the 555PS ( so not between 555PS and Pre).
One of these will sound better - use that! :bear:

I have an unusual Mains set-up:
House Mains.
Dedicated HiFi Mains (Ring circuit) - all HiFi
HiFi Radial line - just the ER PS

I previously tried multiple individual Radial links for each item - hated it - and formed the ring circuit for it all and use that with a block for non Power Amp items (I have three Amps Active).
That left me a radial spare so I used it for my ER.

Just why I have an unusual arrangement that just happens to work well.

The ER being away from House Mains was a reduction in noise ‘mush’ and far better clarity - surprised me.

DB.

1 Like

Bravo. I wish I had too…