Power Strip

Next to the standard version, there are also versions with polished & cryo treated gold plated contacts. This is the one I use.

Mainly in Germany, it’s also available as ‘APH Klangmodul’.

4 Likes

Dave,

Thanks for that. I heard both the M6 and S6 at a demo and I thought that the M6 was clearly better, as would be expected given it’s twice the price of the S6. I had originally planned to buy the M6 but then thought I would be over-stretching the finances a bit so I settled for the S6. As I said it’s not installed yet - I’m waiting for a few bits and pieces and then I’ll power down the system and set it up. Out of interest have you tried the Musicworks blocks and if so how do they compare?

2 Likes

Very neatly done :+1:

1 Like

I just can’t believe all these so called great power strips and the like aren’t all wired up in star configuration like they do for the earth, yes its more difficult, but if i can do i am sure they can.
Its got to be much better this way, as all sockets are now equal, so no plug in order to mess with your brain etc.

1 Like

I asked the Chord rep about this at the demo I had and he said that they had chosen the wiring configuration to use purely on the grounds of what sounded best, after much experimentation. So that’s your answer. Clearly star wiring wasn’t better and that’s why it wasn’t used.

Just can’t see why it wouldn’t be better, more difficult to do than just linking them up as you go along, plus more cable need to star, but can’t see any reason for it not being better as it makes no sense why

According to the Chord web site, star wiring is more susceptible to RFI.

More wires, More antennas.

1 Like

Makes sense. I imagine RFI is more of a problem today than it was a few years ago too, which might explain the change of strategy (and findings).

Don’t buy that one at all, especially when you then plug in a 2m un screened powerline.
Star wired, live, neutral and earth, has got to be better as no nasty stuff going back into the main and then up the next socket and so on.
You guys just saying plug in order matters proves that one, if it does actually happen, for me i don’t need to worry

Evidence?

I’ve not tried a Musicworks block in my system, only heard one as part of someone else’s, so can’t say how it compares. All I can say is that, so far, I’m really enjoying it.

Unfortunately, it comes at a time when I’m just about to have a Karousel fitted and my Klimax Radikal upgraded, which will eat up the budget, so will have to see. I’m certainly not going to get all stressed out about it’s earthing arrangement…

When I peaked inside a Musicworks block they’d just created a ring circuit for the live and neutral with a star earth arrangement. I always thought that a bit odd and goes against the principals of a radial circuit?

The Heretic audio copperstar has all star wiring if anyone cares to give it a try but neither of their two dealers (Aylesbury, Manchester) carry Naim so you’ll have to work at it.
Maybe somebody’s already tried it.

1 Like

Evidence it isn’t?

1 Like

I imagine Chord would promote the idea of using a Chord power cable, at the very least another screened cable. They (and many other manufacturers) seem to believe RFI is a significant problem and go to some lengths to protect against it.

I think as is often the case with cables, connectors, mains blocks etc. some will find more benefit than others depending on the extent of particular problems in particular systems and synergy with other components.

Product development no matter what product is most often choosing between compromises. If there was one single truth all products would be the same. Just stop argue what is wrong or right and let people decide them selves. Please.

5 Likes

I suspect that a system put together using Naim’s earthing scheme, which necessarily uses the DIN line level connectors, will react somewhat differently to one where it’s not maintained, for instance, one that doesn’t have a Naim source providing a single system signal earth link to ground or has a pre amp that relies on RCA connectors which at best provide doubled up signal earth connections between sources and power amp.

I never heard any difference from plug order when I ran Rega kit, a CDX2/282/hi/250 setup did react to it but the differences are much more obvious on my full 500 DR system.

1 Like

I don’t have any personally but the Chord rep told me that they had tried other wiring topologies including star wiring during the development of the mains blocks and found that it didn’t give the best results. So either that’s a fact or he was lying.

It also depends on what they considered << the best results >>

2 Likes