Power Strip

I’m sure nowadays some Reps have “their truth” of course. In the past some reps lied, and some told the truth. I’d want something more independent personally

Thank you Gents for the lively posts here. Much to consider. Interesting.

Hi Pete01… was this with a Naim system… Can you kindly share which components?

Naim equipment are singular and often react differently to the rest of what’s out there. What works wonderfully for other equipment doesn’t always work for Naim.

1. It seems we have two distinctly different camps here and both state their cases upfront and we’re just trying to anchor what might work best for our set-ups.

Naim does not believe in shielding, for SQ benefits in their systems. So the Powerlines are not shielded. They will not introduce anything to the detriment of their business, having experimented to hell and back before introducing these into the market.

At the other end, respectable, professional cabling companies like Chord and the rest of serious worldwide audio cabling companies mostly shield their cables, some to hell and back, in one way or another and we have to pay for that expertise when we buy into their sonic improvements.

Both camps seem to work, and work well. Do we mix both approaches? Or keep things singular? Whatever works?

So which is which?

1. Power strips vs straight plug-ins into wall sockets are another (contentious) rabbit hole.

In RvL’s case, he took it even further and did completely away with wall sockets and in-wall wiring, and I thought, that he had figured things carefully through with some rather pointed thinking because what he posted in hindsight makes complete, direct sense to me. The simpler and more directly controlled the current (and signal) paths, the tighter the sound quality, no? A dedicated 14m spur line “straight” to the power strip behind his Fraims : just unsure about how the R20/21 connection to the powerstrip looks like, or what type of electrical cable for that 14m run, shielded, or non-shielded? But it made sense to do away with the wall sockets, to make the current delivery as “directly and cleanly as possible” without introducing anything more than we should into the mix.

In my mind, when we carefully avoid “more into the mix”, aspects like electrical current seem far more streamlined and therefore “flows more directly and smoothly” to our Naim components? We want to simplify, not complicate the connection lines in the context of Naim equipment because it’s been found to work best? So many variables to consider and we’re trying to find out what really works . I’m here to learn and I hope contribute all the same how I can.

It’s times like these, I feel Naim should step up to the fore and clarify what works best for their equipment. Maybe set aside a Naim section on the Forum with crystal clear instructions how best to set up electrical connections and the like. In a way, it becomes a reference point from which we can refer and refine on our own as we tinker further over time if need be.

Many in the UK use power strips, I gather mostly for convenience, necessity and over the years for SQ. I have never believed in these. Same with any power conditioner. But they seem to work as reported here on the Forum! Who’s to say these don’t work ( except our ears!)?

I’ve always believed and used the Naim power cable hydras, unfused, straight to the wall. No ifs, no buts. It meant my power point(s) from the dedicated spur had to be sited just behind the system, as directly and reasonably near as possible. No introductions of power strips that might degrade the sound, and in my system then… all the advice on the use of unfused hydras using stock Naim cabling, really worked a treat on the sound, especially in the flow and swing, and overall coherence. The glare disappeared, blacks became much blacker. The sound was so full yet clear with an undeniable rhythmic infectiousness.

Today, we have this entire thread and I’m certain other threads before, which contend with the proven sonic improvements of power strip use. I am not negating this in anyway whatsoever; I think the Chord PowerHAUS M/S6 are serious and great. The Musicworks G4… The list continues.

Which approach is best for our systems?

I still subscribe to less being more. The more direct, the simpler the flow, the clearer and cleaner the sound. Streamline and simplify, not complicate.

Friends, as I type this, I am not sure we are any nearer conclusions. Perhaps for our diversity of thoughts and approaches here, there will never be a conclusion other than what each of us decides for his system.

I have to agree that it seems strange to buy a shielded power strip costing a thousand to two thousand pounds, only to plug 2m un-screened Naim powerline cords into it… does it make sense? But it could work… and maybe that’s all that matters.

1. As for the star-wired arrangements vs Chord’s non star-wired arrangements, it seems a clear case of different ways of skinning the audio cat. Sometimes things just don’t make sense, but the proof is in the neutral listening for ourselves. If it sounds better, star-wired or not, it’s what it is. So much subjectivity it’s hard to remain objective. So just try, and trust our ears - the final litmus.

Pete01, I was intrigued with your feedback on the Chord power strip sounding better than plugged straight to wall and I value your input - but it has shaken and stirred things up somewhat, against all I have believed in all these years. And I stand corrected and am flexible, because things can change, and they often do. I’m piqued to say the least and more needs to be explored to find out which holds true.

Cheers to all and keep them coming neutrally and constructively, as is.

2 Likes

I have 2 wall power outlets and 11 devices that require power.
I also live in an electrically noisey environment.
That dictates the use of a power strip/conditioner/regenerator

Phil,

The demo was done with Naim amplification. I’m ashamed to admit I don’t know exactly what, but pre/power for sure, and I don’t think it was top of the range stuff. The source was a Music Rose streamer which I’m not familiar with. Speakers were large-ish floor standers - again I’m ashamed to admit I can’t remember what they were - all my attention was on the Chord blocks!

I have always believed in Naim being a ‘closed system’ and unsympathetic to ‘foreign’ components. If you own Naim, you use Naim cables etc. etc. When I had Naim I found the Hydra to be the best mains option - clearly better than any mains block I tried.

The Chord block sounded wonderfully musically coherent. The music simply became more enjoyable compared to being plugged into the wall sockets. This was obvious to me - not something I needed to strain to hear. How does it compare to the Hydra? I don’t know. All I can say is that I can’t realistically imagine that Chord would not have done this comparison and marketed a block that wasn’t as good and far more costly - and then had the stupidity to demo it with Naim! The fact that the Chord rep was using Naim seems to indicate that they believe the block to be suited to it.

Yes Chord and Naim seem to have different philosophies regarding shielded cables. Many people use Chord cables in their high-end Naim systems so there doesn’t appear on the face of it to be any compatibility issues. Which goes against what I have always believed…but there we are.

I’ll report back when I’ve got my own S6 block installed.

2 Likes

Thank you Pete! Nothing at all to be ashamed not to remember.

On the nail how I feel too. Even now for the Classic and 500 systems, and yet, this “closed” approach has already been softened from long back to be a little more generic and inclusive, as evolution from the CB and Olive eras.

You’ve gotten my interest piqued even further… I’m in trouble. LOL

The only way is to do a tedious A-B which is difficult because it means buying both when the stores won’t have them together. From your sharing, and what your ears told you… it is what it is. Were the Naim components plugged via PL cords to the wall before the switch to the Chord block? I have found, it is absolutely imperative to keep our minds open to all possibilities and to use what sounds best.

Yes… some with the Statement pre no less. I can’t remember but seem to recall someone here did away completely with the PLs and migrated to Chord Music and Gutwire cables… some serious outlay there. But you would wring the most out of a reference rig so I’m not surprised. I’d be happy to live with the PLs for some time and then revisit upgrades later if needed.

I can’t imagine plugging a pair of NAP S1s into any power strip when they should (logically) be plugged straight to the wall, or in RvL’s approach, straight to his dedicated spur line sans sockets or in-wall cabling… Two trusted audio reviewers have also made this very clear, rather consistently for the Statement monoblocks. Out from Naim’s context, most hi end monoblocks / beefy stereo amps are similarly also plugged straight to switchless, fuseless wall sockets fed off dedicated spur lines. I don’t see them use power strips in any manner.

So the considerations continue unabated.

This is interesting. I believe that they were initially plugged into the wall via the standard leads. The Chord block comes with a cheap give-away cable that is really not intended to be used. Even with this no-name cable (no pun intended) the block was very clearly superior. Then a Chord Shawline power cable was put on the power amp I believe into the wall and even then the block was still, even with the cheap cable, clearly superior. Putting a Shawline on the block was lovely. Then a SarumT power cord on the block. This was wonderful - but way beyond my budget!

1 Like

Good golly Ms Molly…!

The best power strip with no added signature sound. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Insufficient plugs

Enough plugs in this thread already. :joy:

3 Likes

Not according to the demo I attended.

1 Like

This…the three plugs piggy-backed on the right are 250/SC/555PS. It maintains the star earth. The other power line is to the sub. And a power strip for the EE8, TV, Blu-ray and ATV.

2 Likes

Skeptikal,

I would say that your posts are treading dangerously near to trolling. Your interjections have already seen one thread pulled. You are clearly employing the same tactics here.

It is clear that for reasons best known to yourself you thoroughly disapprove of the new Chord mains blocks and that you regard anyone who likes them, such as myself who, unlike you, has actually listened to them, to be a fool.

Well I’ve got the message loud and clear. Why not leave it at that and let us get on with a sensible discussion?

6 Likes

Amen to that - I was quite interested in getting some info re usage of the Chord - but someone seems to have scuttled that plan!

1 Like

Agreed, I spent a fair amount of time adding, what I thought, may have been potentially useful observations after trying out one of these new Chord power strips, only to find the thread had been pulled. Very irritating.

2 Likes

If I said R20/21 it was a typo Phil, apologies. This should have been C19/20 for the plug and inlet:

Commonly used on many power strips, including the new ones from Chord.

As per the other topic, I used a shielded 5 x 1.5 mm2 cable. Live and Neutral are connected in pairs so effectively 3 mm2. The remaining wire is earth. The shielding is connected to earth at the originating side only. After testing a number of cables in different diameters, shielded and unshielded, this one provided the best SQ in my situation.

Regardless the cable and configuration of a spur or ring, there is no question that avoiding as much cuts, splits, plugs/connectors and sockets as you can is always preferable. I took this as far as I could, keeping the setup as clean and simple as possible. And it really pays off imo.

You can go pretty OCD on this stuff.
There is no getting around a # of wire-connections and plugs obviously. Even the material and plating of the crimp sleeves have an audible effect. (let alone from plugs and sockets/inlets) Ideally, you want to avoid different plating materials mating as much as practically possible. For instance, Naim matches the plating of the banana plugs on the NACA5 to the receptacles on the amps for best results.

For most connections, I use less widely available bare ‘red’ copper sleeves that I polish before crimping (finicky job). To prevent oxidation, I use a contact preserver from Furutech before crimping or installing the connection/plug. ‘Minor’ details like this all add up to a very real and worthwhile improvement and stability over time.

3 Likes

When I did some serious experimentation with mains supply/cables around 10 years or so ago now I nearly drove myself crazy with all the variables. Then on top of that there are all the safety regulations - what things actually meet the legal requirements. This is anything but straightforward once you get beyond a certain level of experimentation as one is effectively entering unknown territory - where no man has gone before. It is relevant for insurance considerations if nothing else. Yes I became quite obsessed and in the end decided ‘no more - leave it to the professionals’, ie. companies like Chord etc.

2 Likes

Fair enough Pete. But Chord & Co don’t install audio spurs etc. Unfortunately. :slight_smile:
My setup surely meets all the safety & legal requirements. Very important.

Well exactly. I really admire your persistence in experimentation - you are clearly made of sterner stuff than I am! A true audio pioneer - the only way we can get this sort of valuable information, without driving ourselves crazy, is through people like yourself. Well done and bravo!

1 Like

Too kind and thank you. :blush:

I’ll throw in a last one to make sure I end up firmly in the geek-room.
I use calibrated torque srewdrivers to set terminal screws in plugs and connections on the appropriate - and exactly the same - torque spec. Impossible to do by feel. And I check them after a year or two. You’ll be amazed how poorly these simple things are done by many well known and respected manufacturers. :roll_eyes:

OK I’ll get my coat now…

2 Likes