Power Strip

Excellent write up Pete. The M6 effected my system in a very similar way.

1 Like

I see you are doubling the live and neutral for a total of 3mm2 but keeping the earth wire at 1.5mm2. Is this safe to use in this way? as i thought the earth wire in power cabling especially had to be at least the same size or thicker than the live and neutral.
I have an olsen hosp grade power strip and hope to rewire it with OCC copper 2.5mm2 - 13awg - for live and neautral but using a 2mm2 - 14awg - for the earth wire so it’s 1 awg less or .5mm2 less. Would there be any safety concerns with this wire thickness topology? Or does the earth wire have to be the minimum same thickness 2.5m2 in this case the same as the live and neutral wires?

I can’t speak for the various non-conforming cables that have been discussed here, but standard T&E cables generally have a slightly smaller earth than the live and neutral. 2.5mm T&E, for example, might have a 1.5mm earth.

1 Like

Thanks Cohen1263. I should have mentioned that of course the S6 block and Epic power cable are both brand new and so will take some time to run in and sound at their best. Also the equipment was switched off for hours while I was installing things so will take a few days to come back on-song. So I’m anticipating yet further improvements which I’ll report back on in due course.

1 Like

Oh thanks, good to know i’m not gonna have a potential fire or any safety concerns regarding the slight decrease in earth wire diameter.

@Cohen1263 what power lead are you using to connect the M6? I have the MusicWorks G3 with a powerline and was thinking maybe the G4 would be the logical next step but this makes me think…

Hi Steve.

The Chord Sigx with a Furetech 16 amp IEC which has a squared off moulding. A standard IEC doesn’t fit it.

1 Like

Thanks Cohen. So a standard Chord SigX which is £1k right? The Powerline won’t fit then? No problem as I have a use for that elsewhere if I decide to move :wink:

1 Like

Correct Steve. Not without changing the IEC type

1 Like

Sorry, but just to clarify for my slightly addled brain (big party last night!)…If I wanted to try the M6 or S6, I’d have to find a cable with a rectangular IEC not the angled corner types?
The SigX grand on top of M6 two grand - ouch.

steviebee

You need a cable fitted with a 16A IEC rather than the usual 10A - the configuration of the pins is different. When I spoke to Chord about ordering an Epic mains cable for my S6 block they told me to make sure that the dealer knew that it was for their S6 block as the IEC inlet is slightly different. I never did get to the bottom of it but my understanding is that the 16A inlet on the block will not take all 16A plugs but only a specific type. But I could have misunderstood. Best give Chord a ring - they are very helpful on the 'phone.

2 Likes

Thanks Pete :+1:

As Pete wrote :+1:

1 Like

I’m surprised Chord haven’t a specific cable with correct IEC for the block - or I’ve searched for the wrong thing, perhaps?

They have Steve. The Sigx with 13 amp fused plug and 16 amp IEC

Thanks @Cohen1263. I must look again…bit befogged this morning :woozy_face:

1 Like

Try Chord Shawline range.

1 Like

Thanks @NoNaim!
I see two IEC options C13 & C19. Guessing C19?

Chord Music has a 16 amp fused plug and 16 amp IEC adapter?

You are correct C19.
Below is a brief explanation with pictures

1 Like