Power Strip

It looks like Chord mains leads can be specified with a C19 connector from Signature and down the range but the option isn’t mentioned for Sarum or Music.

Nullifies earlier questions about negating the shielding by using an unshielded Powerline I suppose.

Spot on Elfer.

I have a Sarum ARAY power lead - is it possible to get that retro-fitted with a C19 IEC? Assuming doing so is cheaper than a whole new cable.

And thanks @NoNaim for that link - informative for this bee with little brain!

I wonder why Chord went with the C19 IEC socket on their new PowerHAUS blocks. Was it because the C19 fitting is more prevalent internationally or was it because of improved SQ or some other reason. I hope it is not a cynical ploy to sell the SigX power cord.

Presumably you also need a supply of 16Amp fuses, as these too are not standard.

Improved SQ was at least one of the reasons imo. A C20/19 connection has larger contact pins and (thus) contact surface. You see this connection on an increasing # of power strips (and some heavy power amps). My Puritan has one too, chosen for better SQ according to them.

1 Like

Nigel,

It’s because the C19 has a higher current rating which should theoretically improve SQ. The UK wall plug can only be fitted with a 13A fuse maximum, as that is the rating of the plug. So no 16A fuses required.

1 Like

Fair enough, but a bit irritating for those who have invested in the more standard (angled cornered) power leads.

C19 is rated 20A and C14/15 is rated 16A.

I would imagine that a hifi system would rarely, if ever, draw more than 13 amps, so I assume there is little chance of the 13 amp fuse in the power lead plug blowing.

I was a bit bemused by the mention of a 16 amp fuse, 1, 3, 5, 10 & 13 amp are the standard sizes.
A 16 amp would be a Chord special, if in fact that is the case.
However the UK 13A plug is BS1363 & that is rated for 13 amps (maximum),
so fitting a 16 amp fuse is outside the regs.

I can imagine. Most manufactures of quality plugs have C19s too. Depending on the cable it’s not that difficult to (get them) change(d). Never seen an audio grade angled C19 though.

There are adapters available for like 50GBP that does the job too. If you want to step up (?) then Shunyata make some too.

steviebee,

I can’t see any reason why the IEC couldn’t be changed - at a price of course. I can imagine it won’t be cheap. Again talk to Chord and I’m sure they will give you a price and instructions on how to proceed.

1 Like

But not on the PowerLine of course, which many of us have and might want to use on the PowerHAUS block, but can’t.

An adapter might work but that seems a retrograde step.

It can’t draw more than 13A as that is the maximum permitted current draw for UK domestic appliances.Anything requiring more power would not be suited to a standard domestic wiring installation.

I believe it’s a difference between continuous load which is what a fuse is rated for vs peaks that can be much higher than that for a shorter periods.

Even that shouldn’t be too difficult I guess. Naim uses a commonly available Furutech FI-E38 Rhodium plated Shuko plug on the euro Power-Line too. The same series also has a C19, the FI-32. I use it at the end of my spur connecting to the power strip.

1 Like

I suppose it could be done but then of course you would lose the advantage of the decoupled IEC. An adapter is not a good idea as it will necessarily be rated at 10A at the C13 IEC end so rather pointless.

1 Like

The 13A standard is related to heat, not so much amps as such.
13 amps level is set because thats the current that causes a 1’C temperature rise in the component.
A 13 amp fuse will allow up to aprx 21 amps, but it won’t last for long at that

You really want to avoid these adapters like the plague. Really. I had the Shunyata as a temporary solution. The best one available AFAIK but even this one was clearly hurting SQ.

It makes no sense to use a Chord power strip and stick one of these nasty things up its…