Power Strip

The G3/G4 layout works well between the Fraim stacks and doing a demo would be only of limited help after a full power down and possible rack dismantle to get a ‘like for like’ comparison! Might give the chord a whirl and see what it brings. I would use sigx with it as recommended by my dealer. Gives me a powerline and G3 Peek to trade anyway if I decide to move.

I try to stay on the understated side of neutral on the forum Tim. Otherwise the nay sayers become an irritation :see_no_evil:. But I agree with you.

2 Likes

I am keen to understand potential improvements in moving from G3 to M6. At the same time, I am keen to understand if there are significant gains in moving from a UK block and Powerlines with fuses to a Schuko block and no fuses (I am not in UK and have a Schuko wall outlet but still use a UK block). Given Schuko would negate half of the Powerline mechanical decoupling, it may not make sense to use Euro Powerlines, rather something from Chord, Audioquest or others. It would be an expensive transition to a full Euro setup and I’m scratching my head to figure out the best way to assess its worth.

For me M6 was a magnificent upgrade over atlas EOS modular in every aspect.

2 Likes

Did anyone try Cardas nautilus power strip?

Interesting. I am also an Acoustica customer and It was Pete that highly recommended the PowerHAUS M6 to me when I bought the Nap 250DR, NAC 282 2HiCap DRs and NDX2 from him, going into Dynaudio Heritage Specials. What a lovely sound it all makes. Just about to upgrade to a SCDR for the 282 and XPS DR for the NDX2. Can’t wait.

1 Like

I have to agree @Swiftnick. I already had ChordMusic power cables, but the addition of the PowerHaus M6 (in place of a Russ Andrews block) was bigger than the Music cable which costs twice the amount of the PowerHaus. Of course, it’s possible that the Russ Andrews block was preventing the Chord cables from performing at their best. Nevertheless the PowerHaus gets a big recommendation from me in the context of a Naim system wired with Chord Company cables.

1 Like

I have no idea why no one knows of Puritan In the Uk. Look them up on YouTube.

They have no filter blocks which are great but I’ve just added their PSM 1512 as after a two week audition. No compression, completely black sound, pretty unbelievable. I can even add the plug from my LP12 onto the same block and it does not compress the sound.

There is a special version which is Furutech plugs which makes a great block even better

2 Likes

Same. I have their PS108 Purist unfiltered 8 socket strip. Really excellent sound and build quality.

I suspect it’s because they don’t advertise that much in the audio press or shows.
I know of them, but as is the case with a lot of mains power product brands, and me being an electrical engineer & an avid DIY’er, I can’t justify the prices.
That said their surprisingly extensive mains power range look like they are well designed & made products.

1 Like

This thread prompts a question or two that have also turned up elsewhere. Can anyone explain why a really high quality power strip can be better than no strip at all?

I just put in a dedicated mains radial for the hi-fi, feeding a bank of unswitched chunky sockets - a big upgrade for a total cost less than one Powerline or a decent power block.

I was advised to keep using the Hydra from Grahams rather than 4 kettle leads into the wall - or 4 new Powerlines into the wall. I have checked the comparison with 1 Hydra made of basic Naim cables or 4 basic cables into the wall, and the Hydra won convincingly.

It looks as if others here have setups that are not too dissimilar, but choose to plus a high quality power strip into the dedicated radial and then plug either a Hydra or a set of Powerlines into that.

What is the extra set of connections achieving? Given the range of well-made products available, the numbers who use them and the sort of systems owned by several here, it seems unlikely that others have not explored this fully before me and equally unlikely that everyone but me is deaf, so there is clearly something going on that I don’t understand.

4 Likes

If the Powerstrip costs a fortune it must be good…mustn’t it?? :thinking: :thinking:

There’s alot on the Naim forum about this. My take on it is this:

I have chopped and changed my system around a fair bit. I decided to go for 2 unswitched silver MK sockets on a dedicated radial.

I investigated the hydra option but I wasn’t sure what I would end up with.

So I went with a wireworld matrix 2 knowing that it was a reasonable power strip and apparently star wired and Naim users advocating it’s use.

I then researched on the forum about what to plug into the power strip and what not to. Many Naim users plug the power amps directly into the mains and use the power strip for the rest.

I ended up with two powerline lites into the mains for the 135s. And then an HB labs cable going from the mains to the power strip. And then 2 chord purple mains cables for the supercap 2 and 555PS. Phono stage plugged into strip.

Linn Lingo uses standard Naim mains cable direct to mains.

This is what I came up with.

Ideally I would have a 552 500 system. And if that were the case would go powerlines all round and get a better power strip possibly from Chord, I hear good things about M6.

The advice I got from Audio T Brighton was go powerlines if you can or if not powerline lites. And invest in good power strip.

There is not a definitive solution on this. Many trial and error.

I have varied what is plugged into the mains sockets and power strip and am currently content with the arrangement.

If you are content with hydra arrangement then there is nothing to do.

If it works don’t fix it.

That’s very helpful, thanks. I am very willing to believe that this is the right solution according to actual ears in many systems, even if I don’t understand why.

The fact that there seems to be debate about hydra versus lots of Powerlines (see your Audio T comment versus advice leaning toward a hydra) might suggest there isn’t much in it, but it probably just shows that there is no One Size Fits All answer here.

3 Likes

We can continually change out cables, powerstrips and interconnects. I guess the higher you go up in the Naim ecosystem the more difference it makes. For instance I think an all 500 system is more worthy of all Powerlines and a top notch powerstrip. A classic system around the 82 / 282 250 level is more likely to benefit from powerline lites or hydra. The increased level of system will benefit from higher priced cables and power strip.

Cables and interconnects are the icing on the cake. All systems with benefit from improved cabling.

The original 52 and 82 , 250, 135s used standard crabtree or MK mains cables.

I think we are looking at incremental changes with improved mains and interconnect cables.

1 Like

My 272 has benefited quite nicely from the additon of a Powerline.

1 Like

I started introducing better power strips, PoweLines and SuperLumina cables in my Classic system, and these all benefitted SQ, presumably more so now in my 500 system.

3 Likes

3 Powerlines here - bought s/h - into unswitched sockets with dedicated mains.

1 Like

That’s what I found Dan. All cables; power, interconnects, power bar, speaker cable have been changed from Naim to Gutwire and it’s made a huge difference

Proof is in the pudding if you can’t hear a difference it’s not worth it, but if you can … it is :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes