Power Supply Rega Planar 6 and 8

Do you have the original plug power supply on Rega or do you work with upgrades like the sbooster?

As I’m sure you are aware, Rega tune the Neo to work optimally with its matching turntable. An aftermarket supply won’t be tuned in the same way. You’ve only just got the turntable, so why not just enjoy it? Everything doesn’t need to be fiddled with.

3 Likes

You’re not wrong. I enjoy it very much. In this case, The Neo would stay.

I use the REGA PSU + NEO on mine, no fiddling done, seems ok to me.

1 Like

Of course, silly me, the Neo would stay and you’d just replace the wallwart. The latter was certainly more than OK when I had my P8. There seems to be a huge market for these power supplies. I bought an ifi supply for a switch once; it made no difference whatsoever and after a few months stopped working altogether. I’m sure Rega know what they are doing. I’d spend the £330 on more records.

2 Likes

I had such a Sbooster power supply on my old ATR TT and it was a good improvement.

1 Like

Try it or you’ll never know, buy from someone with a trial period policy. Don’t be discouraged by the philosophical views of people who have not tried these products. There are more 24V AC power supply options available in the market worth checking out, manufacturer not to be mentioned around here though.

1 Like

There’s the MCRU power supply for Rega Rp6/8. Made by Longdog Audio. Not tried but Longdog audio make wonderful ps. ( around 330 GBP).

HiFi Tuning fuse with cardas copper end caps | Kimber copper cable with Oyaide gold played plug | IsoTek EVO3 Initium power lead

2 Likes

For just 275 GBP more the OP could have bought the P8 with Aphata-3 instead of Ania Pro. That would have been my priority

1 Like

Whether it makes an improvement to the Rega is something else entirely, and that’s where a home trial comes in. I will confess that one of my motivations for getting a P10 was the power supply - no horrid wall wart to worry about.

The Price difference in Germany between Rega Planar 8 with Ania pro and apheta 3 Is €500.
If I had taken the apheta 3, I would have asked the same question here as well😉

1 Like

Not wrong

OK, but in this case the MCRU PS would probably cost more than 330 euros as well, and in any case its price would have taken you a long way towards the 500. In all likelihood that would have made more of a difference for the money.

If I had taken the apheta 3, I would have asked the same question here as well😉

In this case, the correct answer is “P10” :slight_smile:

Coming back to my asked question, whether anyone has experience with such a power supply, it seems that no one uses it :wink:

1 Like

I think you’ve summed it up. If you look at the top right corner
Screenshot 2022-05-26 at 21.40.36

Click on the Q and type in sbooster , if people mention it, you’ll see if it is featured. I can’t remember seeing it, indeed the only power supply to a turntable from an external manufactured power supply I can remember is from Feeling Zen with a lovely TEAC turntable

By the way all that means is nobody tried it, may I suggest if you are keen, see if you can borrow it and try it. The only opinion that really matters is yours

best wishes

Ian

If you want to improve a Rega deck probably the best solution is to replace it with a better Rega deck, 6 to 8 to 10, happy ending.

2 Likes

I looked it up and this is part of the product list

Rega don’t get mentioned

Sbooster have a 24V Version for Rega

Indeed Ian, I use the MCRU mentioned by FR with my TEAC turntable. And very nice it is too over the cheap wallwart.

Measured with an oscillascope, the voltage stability on the MCRU is rock solid compared to the bundled SMPS which has hundreds of >1v variances per second. I’ve no way to know if this is better or worse than the Rega offerings. I suspect if I had a Rega, I’d use their own power supply upgrade path.

3 Likes

What put me off when I had the Rp8 was the cheap power supply, with SMPS to wall. I could not accept it mentally. I went back to Rp10 at that time. Wanted to save some money but couldn’t live with the Rp8.

2 Likes