Powering down giving improvements?

I’d prefer not keep having to switch the kit off to restore sound quality. It’s frustrating to know your system can sound so much better but some days it’s just not there :disappointed:

1 Like

Same here. I power down the system at least once a month, twice a month on average. In my case I don’t switch off the system for one(1) hour and switch it on again. The system specifically the amps will be off for 3 to 4 days before I power it all up again.

1 Like

I also noticed the effect on the 552. I switched off the pre-amplifier at least once a year, precisely because of this effect. The / DR upgrade has been installed since October last year. I’ll check to what extent this still applies later this year…

1 Like

I have an intermittent problem with my ND5XS such that it will play the first track of an album then stop. Repeating the selection with the same or a different album results also with only the first chosen track playing. Turning the ND5XS off for 5 minutes then turning it back on restores its behaviour to normal and whole albums (or playing from selected tracks) can then be enjoyed. I can’t honestly say I can hear any difference in sound quality.

I don’t think your problem is with the ND5, more likely in the server side, so can you tell us what is feeding the ND5 & how is that set up,

I found that my 250 (both before and after DR) would sound a little flat if left on for a month without much playback. A quick power cycle would bring the zing back. And the zing would tend to last longer if the system was used every day. But still, at most once every 3 months it would seem to need a power cycle.

1 Like

Idk, but there is few times when after power back on again. The bass is just overpowering almost everything, annoying. Took like 2 or 3 days for the low end to tone down and be enjoyable again.

1 Like

The source for the ND5XS used to be a UnitiServe that has been replaced by a UnitiCore. The only change made to restore function is to power down the ND5 and then turn it back on. The same behaviour occurred with both sources - usually after around 2 to 3 weeks of remaining on.

Definitely has an effect from time to time.

1 Like

… hmmmm … repeating the same problem with two different servers kinda blows my initial theory out the window, oh well.
I’m still thinking it’s something in the server side feed, maybe some links are stuck, confused or need clearing:
Have you tried clearing the UPnP & Image cache(s) from the app ? It’s something I do every month or so.

Hi Mike, No I haven’t cleared the caches as everything else seems to work OK including the UnitiQute 2 that I use to power another room. Its not a big deal except if I sit down to listen to a classical piece and it stops after the first movement. That is an irritation but I know how to overcome it in the short term. Really it only makes me question the value of leaving everything turned on all the time.

OK I think I get where you’re coming from. My problem is with my NDX & Synology NAS via IOS Naim app, I don’t have your problem. I turn it off when I go away from time to time, sometimes every 2 weeks, sometimes it’s 3 months. I clear the cache(s) regularly, maybe thats the difference.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.